The Politics Thread

• Members

Do you think there isn't a problem with his cognition at all? I'm just curious on how you see it. I don't think it's ageism If the problem is real. I mean, of course the memes are awful and people making jokes are disgusting and ignorant.

I do think the POTUS needs to be in top shape though. I can't pretend I'm not worried that Biden is slowing down. At the same time, it's not like there's an alternative. It boggles my mind that anyone wants to go back to the chaos of the Trump years.

Here's another thing I find astounding. How on Earth are there undecided voters? It's not like we are choosing between Bush and Reagan. Either you're down for a racist dictatorship or you aren't. Pretty simple choice.

• Replies 42.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Here's an angle barely anyone acknowledges. Biden's CABINET.

A POTUS is only as strong as the people around him [right now, it is just "him"]. Highlight that. Get Harris active in things. Remind people that if, God forbid, Biden falls ill and/or dies, the nation will still be in CAPABLE democracy-loving hands.

The alternative is immigrant child kidnapper Stephen Miller, Steve Bannon, and other Nazis.

And voters sadly need reminding despite Trump's ceaseless chaos.

• Members

This is not directed toward you, @Wendy, but I don't know why anyone thought that the debate WOULD move the needle, unless pollsters and others still hope (against hope) that more voters will come around to voting for Trump.

Frankly, I think the majority of voters in this country are in firmly entrenched camps by this point.  To say it another way, if you've been a Biden or Trump supporter all this time, nothing that the other camp will say or do between now and November will likely change your mind.  IOW, the debate was a total [!@#$%^&*] waste of time.

Biden and/or Trump could be diagnosed tomorrow with Alzheimer's or Lewy Body or some other form of dementia.  It won't make you switch sides or look for third parties.

Exactly.  Like @Wendy says, people are overlooking the fact that Biden has surrounded himself with people who would be able to carry out his agenda should he suddenly be unable to for whatever reason.  AFAIC, that's enough for me to vote again for Biden, come November, regardless of his cognitive issues.

Frankly, I suspect those who are "undecided" are, in actuality, people who still hope for someone like Bernie Sanders or...whoever is the GOP equivalent to come (back) in.  It isn't that they can't choose between Biden and Trump; they just don't want to.

Already, I've come across friends on FB who've declared that they're so disappointed in Biden that they're either gonna vote for some third party or not vote at all.  If they're true to their word, then I think it just proves my point: namely, that white people in this country have the luxury of being able to vote for someone other than Biden, because another Trump or third-party administration really won't affect them as negatively as it will BIPOC.

Edited by Khan

• Members

As the dust settles, one main take away that's gaining traction online (black twitter especially) is Trump saying illegals are taking black jobs, to which folks are asking the question specifically what are "black jobs"?

Taking a rather reasonable assessment after the debate, there really wasn't any surprises with Biden, we all know he's not young. What you see is what you're going to get. We all know he'll be caught off guard by the rate at which Trump spouts his lies. We all know Trump was going to suck all of the oxygen out of the room, and not be checked by CNN. However this "black jobs" remark by Trump seems to be waking up some folks that Trump still is and will always be a racist and because of his ego, he often says the quiet part out loud. 

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

Me neither! 

I know from all the (biased and taken-out-of-context) videos that my mom watches on YT that many believe Biden's performance at the debate to be part of an overall, alarming pattern, but I also know that many on the left AND on the right have been looking for any reason to dump Biden since day one, even though they're all aware of the alternative.  Frankly, those people can go straight to hell (but not you, @Juliajms, I heart you forever, lol).

• Members

I'm stunned at the level of media malpractice that has led these people in the press to simply decide people over 50 don't vote. Older people are seeing these attacks on Biden and it's like watching their kids plot to put them in a nursing home so they can sell the house.

Biden just pardoned thousands of people who were kicked out of the military for being gay. I'm not a member of the Queer community so forgive me if I'm overstepping but younger generations don't seem to grasp how different things were back then. Just like young women didn't realize how much they needed to protect Roe.

I believe that in November older voters will bring the hammer down and the attacks on Biden are only adding fuel to that fire.

• Members

I hope and pray with every fiber of my being that Biden comes through and wins in November, because I honestly fear for what the world will become with Trump in office once again.

Maybe it's not fair to put that responsibility on you but the world desperately needs a strong US to be an opponent to Russia and China and I doubt that Trump would provide that.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but the political developments here in Europe are scary. The memories of WWII are fading and right-wing extremists are on the march (not literally, yet...) again and Putin's Russia are threatening in the east. Trump in the White House would not exactly help stem that tide.

• Members

Amen!!

No, it wouldn't.  What's more, if Trump is allowed back into the WH, whatever few, remaining rights and protections that BIPOC and the LGBTQ community still have will be obliterated before anyone even has time to collect themselves.  We are ALL in danger, Molly.

• Members

Thank you, Khan! I heart you forever too.

Maybe we'll be lucky and women and the elderly(as Marceline mentioned) will come out against him. It's so obvious he wants to take their social security and Medicare. We'll be back to the 1930's with starving elders in the street if 45 is elected again.

• Members

I was talking to my oldest brother about this exact topic today. He just retired. And while he agreed Biden did not have a good debate, he was talking about how the media seems to be forgetting for the first time in decades, polling shows a democrat, Biden, leading people 65 and over.  He said he's really appalled and how ageist the press and media are and why are papers calling for Biden to step aside but not an unhinged Trump, who he says has deteriorated at a much greater pace.  Forget his conviction.

I'm constantly disappointed in my fellow white women and how we collectively vote, but I think this year is an exception in so many ways, I think we'll see lots more women voting for Biden.

They won't provided Macron, who I continue to be disappointed in, does what the far left is doing, which is to pull any of his candidates out of the contest that finished third.  So far they have claimed the left is as great a danger as Le Pen and her contingent and won't.