Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Over the past week, I have seen at least one Op-Ed piece suggesting that it’s hasty and perhaps not a good idea to deactivate one’s account. Well, after seeing this, I definitely don’t regret deactivating my account last month.My tweets had already been downloaded and archived elsewhere at least six months ago and I hadn’t tweeted since then anyway.

I saw that too.

Any value Twitter had as a news source is ebbing day by day, hour by hour, even minute by minute. Folks can try to stay and weather the onslaught of foolishness but I choose my sanity.

• Members

Can I confess here that I logged out, but didn't deactivate, my account and deleted the app on my phone, only to log back in an hour later after I tried to join Mastodon and was disappointed in the content?

I blocked the twice impeached Floridian years ago, and while I am horrified that he's been given a new platform, I still want up to the minute local information about topics that interest me.

If a viable alternative pops up then I'm game to jump ship, but I would never to be able to recreate the hundreds of accounts that I follow.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Fortunately, I have found other ways to connect and follow the key people that I had previously followed on Twitter —the other accounts were just background noise.

I can check on what happens on Twitter (which is becoming a disheveled mess by the looks of their trending topics) by simply going to the Explore section, which you don’t need to login in order to access. 
Twitter is like a bad soap opera, one only need break the habit to see that it’s really not a necessity, it’s not food or water or shelter. It hasn’t even been a safe space for dissidents in years as autocratic governments like KSA and CR have found a way in to track their citizens. 
I also imagine that eventually security may break down, leading to vulnerabilities in the system.

• Members

Despite pressure from friends, I have always stayed far away from Facebook, which did an even bigger disservice to people during the 2016 election, particularly with how amenable the site was to Cambridge Analytica and its data mining efforts.

One of the reasons why I was insistent on not tweeting any original thoughts ever since I had heard about the likelihood of Musk buying Twitter until the day I finally deactivated my account, was because I didn’t want a megalomaniac like Musk to profit in any way from my creativity or IP. I know I am just one person and a non-celebrity yet I did have a few notable people who followed me and my most pithy and insightful tweets would somehow get retweeted a lot, which shocked me most of all. Not only was I adamant that Musk not profit off my ideas or creativity or IP,  I also did not want someone like that using those things to sell the site, which is what will happen to all those people in groups like Black Twitter who have helped to keep the site interesting. Some think their tweets will stand and fight the good fight, but it’s all going to promote the site, one way or another. More money for Musk and his ilk. 

• Members

I stopped using Facebook pre-COVID and have been happy since then. Moreover, the testimony of the Facebook whistleblower she gave to Congress as well as the Parliamen double confirmed this decision. Oh, and the reports of depression found amoung young girls who use Instagram. Unforunatetly, my mom likes to keep in touch via Messenger, and I'll communicate with her that way if that's what she prefers. I guess it's her way of "proving" that she's still hip. 

Please register in order to view this content

I just let her roll with it.

Yeah, but I used Twitter for different things, but Twitter can be toxic. Of course, toxicity draws me in as I laugh and laugh at all the stupidity. My favorite event was the Twitter invasion of the alopecia police.

What I do not understand is this poll that Elon Musk created. I doubt if this was legitimate and was clicked by a bunch of bots.

Edited by Noel

• Members

Here's a copy of the same PoliticsGirl video about the Georgia vote on other platforms:

On her facebook account
https://www.facebook.com/IAmPoliticsGirl/videos/1335329187277978/

on her Instagram account (breakfastrant)
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClPkms1DaW2/

on tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@iampoliticsgirl/video/7168627397229579562

(She has a linktree in her twitter profile that links to all her social media profiles, so I checked it out)

Edited by janea4old