Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The only moderate Republicans died out (literally in some cases) decades ago. The rest is just lip service.

It was time for Nancy Pelosi to step aside, just because of her being in her 80s and her husband nearly dying, but she was a once in a generation talent and I don't know where we would have been without her. 

I do have to admit I'm wary of Jeffries due to his wasting time at right wing (masquerading as "reasonable") outlets like The Atlantic, giving the press, and the GOP, money quotes.

• Members

Yeah, that whole incident was terrible to hear about. I couldn't believe how the GOP or even the ones who were running for office mocked about it. I was telling a friend of mine that this situation has nothing to do with political affiliation. Rather, it's about human decency.

I wasn't surprised to hear about about Nancy Pelosi. Such a remarkable woman. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

So, House Republicans have stated that their top priority is to investigate the Biden family?
Not to advocate solutions for working class families or blue collar workers or suburban soccer moms, or whatever they usually campaign on, but to launch investigations on the Bidens?

Do the voters crying about inflation as their reason for voting for the GOP this midterm election realize they are not the top priority? Some might genuinely not care but others who think a GOP House would balance the scales somehow are in for the rudest of awakenings.

• Members

Yes, Speaker Pelosi did incredible work in her position over administrations!

There is a really strong Frontline PBS episode about her and everyone who cares for more insight on Pelosi should watch that episode. One thing that stayed with me is the quote from her where she attributes ‘knowing how to count’ as being of the utmost importance. That means she knows where the votes are and when it’s prudent and possible to get those votes and when it’s not. Very important skill that Pelosi learned from her upbringing in Baltimore.

• Members

What's going to kill all of us - ignoring climate change. 

This is not just about Mother Nature.   It has an enormous socio-economic impact on humans, too.

Climate change is causing an immigration/refugee crisis worldwide - with mass migration across borders from countries experiencing drought and floods. 

Climate change -- even within the USA -- impacts the poor, People of Color, women, and children much more than it affects rich white men.

Climate change will cause worldwide economic crises as resources become scarce. It will be a gazillion times worse than the supply-chain mess from Covid.

It's entirely possible that there could be wars and famines.  And local petty despots, warlords, and mobsters trying to run things when systems start collapsing. This is not just some random third-world thing far away on the remote parts of the planet that the modern Western world can pretend doesn't exist.  It will come everywhere. I don't want to say it, but there it is. 

Even politicians motivated only by selfishness, power, and greed, should see that it's not in their longterm financial interest to ignore climate change. But no, they'd rather twiddle time away by investigating the Biden family.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Am I the only one who feels like laughing hysterically at the evangelicals who are now complaining about feeling used by Trump? Nice try, they’re just trying to extricate themselves from the stench of a losing aura that has become associated with Trump, especially now that they’ve found their shiny new prospect in DeSantis. 

As much as I have doled out criticism to the BBC (justified, I think), they have done a much more insightful analysis of the COP27 conference as compared to most U.S. media (perhaps I should be tuning in to PBS, which usually commits to more in-depth coverage). Unless there is a natural disaster, most major U.S. media gives scattershot attention to climate change and most definitely do not put things in the perspective of the aspect of all nations, rich and poor being interdependent in the consequences of climate change to our certain peril.