The Politics Thread

• Members

^ Those chants of "send her back" are chilling.  I think Khan is right that we are at the very least as divided as we've ever been. Now when I meet new people my guard is way up because I'm wondering if I'm dealing with some Trump nut who's on board with all of this insanity.  It's unreal how off the rail things are.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

When I was staying in the US, I heard a lot of the "go back to where you came from"/"speak English"/"you're so lucky  we even we let you in here" stuff even though I was suppose to be one of the immigrants they like (white, there legally, well off). It always made me feel completely unwelcome, humiliated, and awful.  I can only imagine how bad it is for POC and people who hear it everyday.

I can't speak to the political side of things with the four of them, but they have my sympathy with the racist comments. From the outside looking in, it seems like this latest event has made things significantly worse and that there's no going back. I just feel sorry for the US. 

Also, I find US politicians using Israel and the Jewish people as a shield disgusting. I'm Jewish and proud to be so, but there are legitimate criticisms of Israel and Netanyahu to be had and pointing them out does not equal anti-Semitism. I find the fetishising of Israel from right wingers everywhere to be so gross and disingenuous, especially since from I can tell, most of them only care about it because they claim it'll bring upon the rapture (in which all the Jewish people will be sent to hell or left to fight giant rapture bugs- I'm not sure which is the official story these days). Ugh.

• Members

As a Jew with many issues with Israel and no loyalty to them or love for their policy against Palestine, I have no problem critiquing both them and Omar's past remarks, which I believe often straddled the line of ancient antisemitic dogwhistles pre-dating her lifetime. I don't believe Omar is an antisemite, but I believe she's occasionally used antisemitic language that dates back to at least the turn of the century. I'm not okay with that.

That being said, I feel she is a gifted activist with a strong voice who has the potential to become a very effective politician - or to flame out completely. Either way, I feel the attacks against her by the right wing are vile and dangerous and that she should be protected. I can feel many things at once. And yes, I have had dumb kids who think they're lefter than me try to tell me I "cosigned" Omar's death threats by taking exception to her past behavior, well before those attacks began. I'd never do that and I find the current attacks on her repulsive.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The frustrating thing is that there have been blacks, women, South Asians, Jews and LGBTQ killed during this administration's time in the White House and some people have decided to crystallize it to only being about Congresswoman Omar.  What is happening to her at Trump's command is horrible (as what he's been saying about Pressely, AOC and Tlaib) but let's not forget about the other people who have been imperiled and harassed (including many non-famous Muslims in the U.S.) and killed during the time that Trump has taken the oath of office.

Also, people are just finding out that the U.S. does this to people??  Folks need to open a history book.  I'm not trying to get graphic but this is the same country that used to lynch pregnant black women, cut their stomachs open and take pictures of the woman and discarded fetus with hordes of smiling white folks.  Pro-life my as*!

• Members

Some of this anti-vaccine people are crazy and scary.

Melania Trump's immigration as well as that of her parents is quite sketchy. A proper investigation would turn up some deceitful tricks and maneuvers that Trump pulled to get them here.

• Members

Blowback but it doesn't mean it will stop

By the way, Peter Alexander is hosting Meet the Press today.(Yes I tuned in today since I am home today and off for the summer). Far better than Chuck Todd, He was interviewing Trumps campaign comm director and didn't let him slither away nor allowed any both sider nonsense.

As for Trump's rally, I am sure we all know the chants were intentionally driven up. 

Lara Trump led the prep for the rally

Lara Trump did a warm up act to cue the crowd for this chant. It was planned. “Lara Trump, addressed the crowd before Trump spoke, saying: “If you don’t love our country — the president said it...” “Leave!” the crowd replied.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Mind you, I'm not laughing at the workers.  They deserve to be paid $15/hr. (and more) for their labors.  I'm laughing at Bernie's blatant hypocrisy.

Edited by Khan