Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember he got a lot of hype at the time he was first elected as he beat a fat cat Democrat. That's about it. 

A long article about Democrats' chances in this year's midterms. 

(I'd say they're not anywhere near as good as some think, which this article seems to agree with)

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/02/23/2018-election-analysis-politics-217073

• Members

So the Supreme Court refuses to hear the DACA appeal. So for the time being DACA is still in effect and the 9th circuit is likely to rule in favor of DACA.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-26/u-s-supreme-court-rebuffs-trump-won-t-hear-immigration-appeal-je4bn951?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

No one knows what's going to happen, but I am done listening to any Beltway press or media when it comes to politics. Politico did a horrible take the day before on one of our local congressional races here in Illinois - Lipinski vs. Newman, basically insisting democrats need to stay with Blue Dog Lipinski. 

Now if this were a red or purple district I would agree, but this is a district that is solid blue so going with the more progressive Newman (who is not radical left) is not a mistake as this district has ZERO chance of ever going red.  Lipinski is pro life, anti immigrant, voted against the Affordable Care Act.  Has not touched on how important to healthcare is to his district. It's also a district that has seen a shift in terms of latino population over the past 8 years, doubling.  He does have the state party support, the support of mayors across his district, and has brought money into his district due to his position on the transportation committee. And he does show up to events in his district regularly when he's in town. So it's not all negative. But these are the same people who believed Virginia was going with Gillespie, didn't predict the races across the state correctly, insisted Roy Moore was going to win.  I'm not diminishing the fact that the races won't be easy, but neither are people who actually live in these districts. I actually don't think by the way Newman will win. Lipinski has the financial advantage and AFLCIO support. But I think it will be closer than expected.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

+1 

One of the reasons why I posed my question specifically toward boardmates who live in Florida is because I wanted to get away from the pundit press articles.

Many of these press pundits staunchly state one thing, only to reverse their stance or pretend they never stated what was previously said anyway.  They've all been practicing this special form of plausible deniability since the horrendous outcome of the 2016 election.

I'm done with them being the first source of what's supposedly going on in the "grassroots".

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

This is a big deal for LGBTQ rights

2nd Circuit appeals court just ruled in favor of a gay worker, saying anti-gay discrimination is prohibited under 1964 civil rights law.

It’s a loss for the Justice Dept, which injected itself into the case to argue against gay rights.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/a-federal-court-just-ruled-for-gay-rights-in-a-major?utm_term=.mxLG8G78d#.qdw1o1joY

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Why am I confusing Rubio and Cruz??  Oh yeah, right, spineless GOP politicians who only use their ethnicity when it suits their political career.

Hopefully people would read click the link and see that it's Texas.  And hey, someone in Florida might also know who this candidate is and have some thought as well (*shrugs*).

I'm just not as interested in getting a pundit's perspective this time around.

Edited by DramatistDreamer