The Politics Thread

• Members

I was reading about these special elections and the CT one may not seem like all that much on its face, but considering that the seat had been solidly Republican for at least 40 years and has now flipped to Democrats, this is kind of big news that has implications for the entire state legislature!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's corruption from top to bottom. Ben Carson's scandal is the least of our problems and yet how demoralizing that someone charged with housing the poor would spend $31,000 on a dining set.  If there is one normal person in this administration with a conscience, I don't know who it is.

At the same time, Sessions is a monster, so it's somewhat amusing to watch Trump destroy his own.

• Members

In the midst of all this there's a good chance we'll be hearing about tariffs being slapped on more imports, which is likely going to lead us into a trade war we can't afford. I know everyone has been saying the economy is going to crash but I worry it may be worse than we even expect.

• Members

Of course it will. China frankly doesn't even care that much about the tariffs, well that is the steel tariffs. It's going to hurt our allies more than it hurts them. China is looking forward to clean energy, technology, and AI. Tariffs are a 50 year old fix to a modern day problem

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Speaking of China, the Communist government is in the process of changing its constitution to remove term limits for the presidency so that Xi Jinping can stay in the office indefinitely.

Except, the employee who was demoted for pointing out the ethics breach is now suing the department.

• Members

https://shift.newco.co/apples-china-agreement-4e67fa7b38f4

Speaking of China, this is a pretty disturbing development. I wonder how many people will end up in prison thanks to Apple giving the Chinese government this access. I'm not even fully blaming Apple, but I think the point that there are a lot of people in China that don't fully grasp that their info is now available to the government is terrifying.

• Members

Good point. There are a few decent apples in this corrupt barrel.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/02/jesmyn-ward-mississippi/552500/?utm_source=atltw

Until this year I didn't fully realize what hellholes Alabama and Mississippi continue to be.  I feel like I've learned so much about our country in the last two years and most of it is awful.

• Members

Artists without training are called "primitive". I feel like Trump is some kind of primitive fascist. He obviously isn't enough of an intellectual to study how to be a fascist. He's just naturally falling into the role. Let's clean up society no matter how many people we have to kill to do it.