The Politics Thread

• Members

Sam Nunberg reminds me of all the geeky men who tag along with all the hunks to the single bars in the hopes of getting some of their "leftovers," if you know what I mean.  Men like Sam believe just BEING friends with the Hubbell Gardiners of the world automatically elevates them on the food chain.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So the extreme right will have even more sway in the White House - and the tariffs will be even more likely to be implemented. Will Republicans in Congress act? Good luck with that. 

The new implementer of Title X funding:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/06/abstinence-advocate-family-planning-dollars-389453

@marceline was 2004-2007 Bob Taft or was it someone else?

I assume this woman is very bad news...

• Members

Someone who didn't walk after Charlottesville and numerous other heinous events in this WH  but readily goes due to tariffs.  It's always about money over ethics and conscience with these folks. 

I doubt Cohn had much sway to begin with other than being a Goldman Sachs trophy for Trump's Cabinet. 

More like, he ran out of excuses not to leave after yet another instance of Trump ignoring his advice. 

The farther-right voices will always have Trump's ear over the the center right (I won't even say more moderating voices-- there never were any in Trump's WH).

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It sounds like he had more when people like Rob Porter (who didn't want the tariffs) were around. I guess he really does just care unless someone he's chummy with is saying the words. That's very very dangerous.

• Members

Not much of a surprise for Texas. I've never thought the Democrats were going to have a big year this year so that doesn't surprise me either, but I can see the media, which will want to push a GOP comeback and give them some good news, push this heavily as a sign of their revival. 

I was more interested in some of the primary races that their awful governor, Abbott, was trying to meddle in.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/columnists/falkenberg/article/Abbott-settles-scores-but-the-GOP-could-pay-the-12724398.php

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/03/06/texas-primary-state-house-incumbents/

• Members

Texas still has a record number of people who do not vote. I'm not sure who thought Texas was turning purple at this point. Heck Georgia would be a better investment for democrats in the short term than Texas IMO. But the democrats did increase turnout and it's very likely they will pick up at least 2 congressional seats, both in Clinton districts and both with Latina women running.

I think there is still a lot of work to be done in Texas to engage people, particularly Hispanics in the southern part of the state where numbers turned out to be low. The democrats in texas need to invest in energizing that base as they did in Alabama. And then serve them.

I'm in Illinois and I have been hearing how horrible early voting numbers are in the City of Chicago, particularly African American areas. Problem here is no one is excited about the primaries except those in the districts getting attention. I am in Gutierrez's district and we have 3 people running in the primary for his seat. I am particularly excited about the woman, Sol Flores, but she doesn't have a chance since Chuy Garcia has been blessed by the establishment and also Sanders and other so called progressives and then Garcia goes and endorses old establishment boss Mike Madigan. I think my point is that even in years that you see that should be competitive you are seeing SSDD with so many democrats that it keeps the enthusiasm down. Rahm Emmanuel the mayor is in bed with our idiot GOP Governor, has forced gentrification in AA neighborhood, forcing these people out of the city. And he has local African American leaders supporting him.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

The blame game is starting if Republicans lose their special election in PA-18.

(given that he is known as a mini-Trump, I wonder if one of the reasons Trump is pushing the tariff stuff is to try to drag him over the finish line)

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/07/republicans-pennsylvania-special-election-445221

In other news, I see that Tucker Carlson is doing a "the decline of men in Western civilization" series on his show. One part was about lower sperm count and testosterone levels. 

Will Faux News actually talk about things like all the pesticides in our food and everywhere around us, which is one of the big culprits for these issues? 

Given that the GOP money men are one of the main culprits in rolling back any attempts to address these issues, I won't hold my breath.