The Politics Thread

• Members

Thanks! Some people were let go at my husband's company. I just feel really bad for them. Then juxtaposed with this stupid tax bill passing it really makes me angry. Corporations are chewing people up and spiting them out, while getting huge tax cuts. Not to mention the truly poor people who are getting screwed by this.  That's really the worst part.

Thanks Jane. It's just hard not to get down with all this terrible stuff happening daily, but I know a lot of people are going through the same thing.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, it had to do with quid pro quo on the Obama-era sanctions, IIRC. Or that may be about the UN's Israeli censure efforts on their illegal settlements. I'm confused right now. Either way, Flynn and Trump doing either pre-inauguration is illegal. 

• Members

I was having that kind of day yesterday. I had a complete meltdown in my doctor's office. What was supposed to be just a simple follow up for my acid reflux ended up with me hyperventilating and hooked up to an EKG. This news is really good but the Repubs are still trying to push through this tax thing in spite of all the Flynn news. These people are evil incarnate.

• Members

That's what I tell Mama Khan, who saw her IRA account (set up by my dad shortly after his retirement, and before his untimely death back in '12, and then left to her) dry up this year, thanks to bad investments (and, I suspect, unscrupulous actions) on the part of her investment adviser.  She panics daily at the thought of subsisting solely on Social Security, as well at the thought of not having enough money to pay off the mortgage on the house we've lived in for over thirty years. But, I keep telling her not to panic or feel embarrassed about her situation.  Millions are in the same boat as she, and millions more are about to join them if this awful tax bill becomes reality.

Same.  I don't even get into political discussions anymore with Mama Khan, who is basically listening to everything InfoWars and Fox News is telling people.  It never serves any purpose to tell one's mother they're being brainwashed by right-wing propaganda or that everything they're hearing (including that Obama and HRC smell like sulphur, that Hillary is suffering from Parkinson's disease and Bill Clinton's on his deathbed, and that all these people who are being exposed as sexual predators is because of Trump exacting revenge on all his enemies on the left and far-left) is flat-out wrong.  So, I just wait for her to finish talking and then change the subject.

Like Bobby Womack once said, "Oh, ain't it funny how the tables turn / When things aren't goin' your way?"

Sounds like another trip to the doctor's office for me, lol!

But seriously.  I am sorry to hear about this, marceline.  I hope you're taking care of yourself today.  You are definitely in my prayers, girl.

Edited by Khan

• Members

What I learned from the Bush years is that survival (and justice) are a marathon, not a sprint. We have great news today but also probably some terrible news. We keep going. The only way out of this, and the only way to make them pay, is to inflict the only kind of pain the GOP will ever really understand. And that begins at the midterms.

I am sorry for your mother, and I am sorry for others' health insurance and woes. The only way we can do right by her or anyone else is to keep going. And there is good news today to hold onto.

Edited by Vee

• Members

RE: Farenthold -- Using taxpayer funds to settle a dispute like that is not only unethical but country-ass dumb as well.  (How do any politicians think that kind of [!@#$%^&*] won't be uncovered one way or the other?) Not Jerry-Springer-paid-with-a-check dumb, but pretty damn close.

• Members

Has she retired already? What these people want to do to the elderly is also disgusting.  I just don't understand what is in their minds to be so greedy.  I think the hope in this situation is that this bill will be so painful that Democrats will be voted in. Hopefully in time to save Mama Khan despite herself.

It almost wasn't though! They came so close to getting away with it because they make the rules. Look how hard it is to even make a complaint against these *(&*^%^ckers! It's unreal. Then the nondisclosure agreements people are forced to sign. I give a lot of credit to women who are breaking them.