Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I also have to say that it annoys me a great deal to see Lindsey Graham out there warmongering and talking about how Trump told him how people would be dying over there, not over here, or whatever. I expect that type of stuff from Trump, but I don't know how in the world someone who constantly pushes himself as so intelligent and sensible is pushing this crap, especially when they actually are pretty close to hurting us over here if these missile tests are any indication.

It's easy for warmongering senators to feel like big men because they aren't the ones who are going "over there." They have every luxury that soldiers don't, and that the average person over here who could be killed in an attack doesn't have. 

I'm just sick of this garbage. I'm sick of war being seen as a wank exercise and some middle-aged fantasy and a giant video game. People like this are why I am so afraid of tomorrow, because they aren't even "crazy" like Trump - they are, for some reason, widely respected and emulated.

• Members

The sad thing is that's OK with way too many of "us". I've realized that even when we have empathy for people in other places sometimes it's too easy to dehumanize them by thinking of them as one big group. I think of people in Darfur or undocumented immigrants and feel bad for what they are going through. If I really think of them as individuals (mothers, fathers, someone's daughter or brother)  the horror and loss is overwhelming.  I'm not sure the human mind is meant to deal with that much pain for long, but if "we" are going to say "thousands of them will die" (but surely not us, because that's all that matters) the people in charge should really understand what that means. I certainly have no faith that 45 understands or cares.

I'm not saying I think is USA could emerge from a nuclear war with North Korea unscathed, I'm just saying it should be horrifying to kill innocent people, but it doesn't seem like the Lindsey Grahams of the world have a problem with it at all.

• Members

I don't know that we have enough people left in this country who really understand the horrors of war and the monstrous acts committed in the name of what's right, My uncle who has passed was part of one of the units that liberated Buchenwald concentration camp in Germany and he could never articulate what he experienced there, but I recall my aunt saying after he passed away that those experiences never left him. He could never goto a burial of anyone he knew who passed away due to memories that haunted him. 

It's easy to distance oneself, but here we all sit comfortable in our lives for the time being, with some of our own people celebrating undocumented folks being treated like cattle, forced into temporary camps before deportation, as if that is humane and somehow people here can justify the lack of humanity. We are supposed to be better than this.  Or our contributions to turning Yemen into a wasteland with millions starving and the largest humananitrian crisis since WW2 something we helped create and all these white men and their toys think about is so what. We can kill millions of innocent people in North Korea without blinking an eye. What happened to the days when we believed dropping those bombs on Japan historically has turned out to be a horrible decision. When you don't learn from history, you are bound to repeat it.

And for all the saber rattling of Russia, yes they have no moral high ground, yet it will be the US as it stands today that will lead to the destrouction of the world by relying on ignorant careless old white men ho get their jollies out of hurting people including their own.

• Members

The ideal seems to be faraway bit players who will wave at the conquering liberators in stage-managed fashion before various goods are taken and we leave them behind - that was the whole PR design for Iraq, anyway. When people who are in need of help actually want to come here, they are demonized and dehumanized, like the tiny amount of Syrian refugees who were going to be brought here last year. 

But that's what all this is about anyway - dehumanizing anyone and everyone, including many in the US, who are taught to dehumanize others so they won't realize they are seen the same way even if they are white and voted the way they were supposed to vote. Most of those in charge don't even bother to hide their contempt anymore, but it's never going to change unless people want it to change. Even after the plans against Medicare and Medicaid and health care, I don't think it ever will. 

• Members

Since when have White people had trouble getting into college?

In my most honest and unfiltered opinion, this is a textbook example of those of the "Caucasian persuasion" refusing to admit their own mediocrities.  I mean, your GPA's and test scores are crap, but that can't be why you can't get in or why you're denied this-or-that scholarship.  No, the reason why it's SOOOOOOOOO difficult for you to get into colleges is because of all the coloreds and chinks and illegals taking spots that you think rightfully belong to you.

And the long, dark night of America's soul continues.

• Members

Trump is just playing to his base with this one. Almost anyone can get into college. There are so many of them. I've seen studies that show it mostly doesn't make a difference to your income where you go, unless you are going to an Ivy League school.  The point being it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $50,000 to go to a mid level school for a BA.  My neighbor is talking about sending her daughter to a school that costs $38,000 a year because she wants to play softball.  She's not good enough to make the team at UNL.

Please register in order to view this content

This is shitty little private school in NE I'm talking about.  It was all I could do not to stick my nose into it and tell her all the reasons this is a horrible idea. 

• Members

One of the reasons why I got so pissed at supposedly progressives squawking about the Democratic platform and that 'cultural issues' tanked the 2016 election prospects is that now, it's painfully obvious that these issues certainly do matter, they obviously matter to Trump and to his voting base, but for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yep.

Honestly, I blame the Abigail Fishers of our country, the ones who are mystified as to why the colleges and universities of their dreams won't accept them with their 3.5 GPAs and 1100s on their SAT's, even though OTHER White applicants with higher grades and test scores got in.

As well, I blame those within the GOP who, if not outright endorsed Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, either remained silent or simply looked the other way, EVEN THOUGH Congress had denied him a federal judgeship -- during the Reagan administration, for Pete's sake! -- because he was too racist even for them.  That man never should have been allowed to head up the Justice Department, and today proves why.

Any minute now, I fully expect TrumpCo. to reinstall separate bathroom and eating facilities for all non-White persons.

And that's only due to "name value."  Because, the truth is, an Ivy League education isn't necessarily the BEST one in terms of quality.