The Politics Thread

• Members

Putin is a sociopath.  There is no rational reasoning method for dealing with such a person. I have no idea what the answer is.  My hope and prayer is that world leaders are inspired to come up with some new approach to block him from inflicting further harm.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And the Russian people. They also need to be participants in coming up with a solution. Any solutions coming from the outside are unlikely to take root or last. 

One reason why he has been successful in Russia has been the fact that he has steadily, consistently put up the argument that the U.S. is far from the ideal governance. It has been a convincing argument for many Russians, particularly after the disastrous election results of 2016. He has also convinced his supporters that any dissent, anything amiss within the order of the day in Russia is because of interference from the West. So a proposal for a solution that comes from outside Russia is likely to be looked at with skepticism by some and outright disdain by others.

• Members

So much awful news from Ukraine, I don't even know why I'm still surprised at anything, but:

As others said above, I don't really know what can be done about Putin, other than sanctions. He will eventually take over Ukraine, and then it depends on where he decides to go next, and how long before various parts of the West fall back into line in supporting him for oil and gas and bribes. I don't believe he would hesitate to use nukes. I'm already seeing talk that this is exactly why we should nuke him first, but I don't even want to contemplate that. 

• Members

The larger bulk of the Russian people have no interest in toppling Putin, IMO. They've been dealing with autocrats and maniacs for centuries. It is a cultural and historical thing that will take god knows how long to change in that part of the world. AFAIC the best we can hope for in the short term is a more malleable, less deranged oligarch in power in that country, who does not believe Ukraine is his manifest destiny. And I'll take it.

As for Putin, I think whatever of Ukraine he 'takes' will increasingly be its ashes. Those people are not going to give up. And if he can't make them give up, he will level the country.

In other news:

• Members

Interesting and unsettling to see that the former leader of the infamous Janjaweed, who now has power in Western Sudan, is reported to have been in Moscow recently.

What people fail to pay attention to is that many autocrats on the African continent are seeking (and receiving) resources (including military) from Russia. It's been all out in the open.

• Members

And ever so happily last night, ABC News was discussing the possibility of World War III - said outright! - should any future negotiations between Ukraine and Russia fail. I get being cautious, but damn it, someone needs to handle Putin and his lackeys.

How long will this madman hold Ukraine and, by extension, the world hostage?

• Members

I would have asked Zelenskyy to give a pre-taped message about the ongoing crisis in Ukraine and the need for the West to band together and lend their support through donations, boycotts and the like.  But, chances are, Amy wanted him to do a comedy bit instead.