Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's going to have to be up to his own circle, if any of them have the power. He would not hesitate to detonate nukes. I've been seeing a lot of "we could survive nuclear war" takes on Twitter lately, which makes me wonder just what people are hearing...

• Members

I'm very confused by this too, especially by people who previously seemed so anti-war. I have a close friend who has gone on an Anti-Biden bender and daily keeps blowing me up about how useless he and VP Harris are and how they aren't doing anything. I sent her a 22 minute speech he gave a few days ago and an article that outlined all of the sanctions and things they had planned. She acknowledged it, but kept saying it wasn't enough. Unless we send our military to fight it isn't enough. 

People don't seem to realize how serious this could be. Maybe it's because we're so removed from the Cold War, but if countries start throwing nuclear weapons around it's going to be a disaster for everybody. There is no winning in that scenario, not to mention the types of cyber attacks Russia can put on us, with our power grids and other things. 

• Members

Unfortunately, that happens all the time.

We are a civilization who has been conditioned over thousands of years to think that war will solve everything.  It never occurs to us that wars only beget more wars until, at last, there's no more people left to fight.

The big wheel keeps on turning
On a simple line, day by day
The earth spins on its axis
One man struggle while another relaxes

I know it's only March, but I'm nominating this dude for Time Magazine's Person of the Year.  God only knows how this will all end, but I give Zelensky props for fighting the good fight.

Edited by Khan

• Members

One of the things I admire about Zalensky is that he takes the hero worship and accolades and always pivots back to saying that the Ukrainian people are the real heroes. He knows that his chances of surviving this grow smaller every day and he's making sure that if/when that time comes his last words will be used to inspire. It reminds me a lot of MLK's last speech and I don't make MLK comparisons lightly.

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live – a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land."

• Members

I could not agree more.

@KhanWe've been at war for 25 years. Ones that were unrighteous, imo.  Meanwhile this would be a completely righteous war, but the outcome is too unpredictable.  All these people who want to go in are the people least able to deal with consequences. Armchair warriors, who don't know what it is to go without long term. I wish everyone blithely cheering on war could spend one week living on rations with spotty electricity and no Netflix.  Talk to me then twitter warriors.

• Members

War aside, we have personally killed much better men than Putin for much less. The difference between me and Lindsey Graham saying that is I am not a high-ranking government official. But if it ever got traced back to the States (and it likely would) it would be catastrophe and things would tip over.

Edited by Vee

• Members

@marceline That is so true. I  have already seen a lot of grifters online trying to turn things around to make him  seem like the heavy. He's been very genuine - that and his media training have gone a long way in getting the world's attention (even if it may be too late), and seemed to be very underestimated by Putin.

Not to change topics, but (and I know Punchbowl is trash, I'm just linking this) Rick Scott is continuing to loudly and proudly announce his plans to tax poor people and the elderly. If  only the public saw how monstrous these policies are: