November 10-14, 2008

Toups

• Members

Oh no doubt LML November Sweeps BOMBED, I said that last week in the Y&R discussion thread, and it seems so has MAB's.

And it seems that the Y&R of past is not what the viewers are interested in seeing. Totally different viewership now, then from back in the day IMO!!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But wouldn't the same logic apply to primetime shows? Even shows like CSI and Grey's Anatomy, which used to get as much or more than 24 million viewers are down to like 18-19 million viewers this season.

Ratings for all of television are falling rapidly, I don't see how that necessarily reflects the quality of any show per se. Some of the most critically acclaimed shows never did well in the ratings, but that's another story.

Surely Y&R being the most widely available soap in the US impacts it's ratings on CBS. What other soap is on CBS, SoapNet, legally on YouTube, MSN, Fancast, and a few other Internet sites both legally and illegally?

Anyway, we should just be happy the show rose from last week's low.

• Members

How has it failed.

CBS and Sony shelled out big bucks advertising last years sweeps. They didn't shell out any this year. So in that alone this one is more successful than that one. Even the money paid for the guest stints don't make up for what they spent last yar in advertising and special effects.

That goes a long way. The ratings have gone up this week and when you don't spend as much you don't have to have as much of a rise to count it as a success.

And sweeps is not over yet. We will see how they build. If they continue to build this week and get higher ratings next week or maintain that is better than Latham did last year.

But as I said it is not about ratings for me. This Y&R is tons better than last years Y&R by at least 100%. This is Y&R - true Y&R.

• Members

Y should we be happy because it rose two points, when it did that two weeks ago, and then went down again, I dont do crumbs. Talk to me when MAB brings up the ratings up significantly, since this is the Y&R viewers are supposedly used to and love!

We here on the MBs represent 2% of the viewing audience and unless any of us got a neilson box are viewing doesnt count in the numbers above right?

• Members

I guess the writing is on the wall if nothing is done after this 1.4 rating for GL!

When is CBS and P&G going to wake up and fire Ellen Wheeler and her team.....This show has been in a free fall and I haven't turned it on since 8 months ago because I can't stand it!

The production model sucks, writing sucks and the loud music during the show gets on my nerves.....obviously your vision is not working Ms. Wheeler! Do you get a clue Ms. Wheeler, P&G and CBS? WAKE UP NOW or are you just stupid or don't care?

This show needs a major overhaul everywhere before I tune in again to this crap on the airwaves!

It is just sad that it has come to this since I've been watching this show since 1978!

• Members

I've been watching since 73. There is no turning back now unfortunately. CBS has said that GL will never return to its former format so it's just a matter of time before cancellation is announced. I really dislike Ellen Wheeler for what she has done to GL and how she could have possibly thought that this production model would work. I think we're stuck with her until the show gets cancelled. Once that happens, I hope she never works again. She totally decimated Guiding Light. Ugh.

• Members

I never once said that I was happy about a 3.6. In fact I said the ratings were not even that important to me. What I am happy about and what matters the most to me is that Y&R is Y&R again. And in the end even if it had been a 3.2 I would still be happy.

I would rather a show go out being itself and having dignity rather than trying to be something it isn't and something I don't recognize at all.

When I watch Y&R during Latham it was not Y&R I was watching. There were characters there that I knew and loved but it was so far away from Y&R. Almost the same as it was during Jack Smith's run - just not as far.

This version of Y&R looks like Y&R, acts like Y&R, feels like Y&R - IT IS Y&R.

I have watched Y&R since 1973 - missing bits and pieces of it off and on - the most time I missed being this year from the end of March to November. That is the longest I have ever gone not watching Y&R. I kept reading it was getting better but I was so turned off by soaps that I just couldn't make myself watch. When I heard about the Paris shoot and Kay's funeral, I had to tune back in and I am so grateful I did.

I am so grateful to Y&R and OLTL who have both done sweeps stories that have been about the stories. They have been about the stories that we have been watching and not some stunt. And guess what both got rises from the story climaxes and not from a stunt. That is significant people. AMC's rise and recents fluctuations still fit in with Frons' mold since it started with the tornado stunt. Last years little Y&R flux was from the collapse of the building.

But OLTL and Y&R have finally broken that mold. They have gotten these little bumps just from story fallout. And in this day and age that is significant. The last few years these type of bumps have only come from hostage crisises, tornados, train wrecks, plane crashes, stunt casting, etc.

This was pure story and pure soap opera.

And this soap fan is happy. I say to hell with what the ratings numbers are - this is a significant win for those of us who have been pleading for stuff like this.

Archived