DAYS: Peter and Kristian takes Pay Cut, Jay Back?

• Members

This just in. A source close to the set of Days of Our Lives says news of Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) leaving the sudser has proven premature.

"Jay is back!" says the source. "It was all just a stupid misunderstanding."

The source also reveals Peter Reckell (Bo) and Kristian Alfonso (Hope) agreed to take massive pay cuts.

"And good for them!" says the source. "It says a lot about Peter and Kristian for them to do that. It says that they are team players and want the show to succeed."

Even more top tier Days actors are being asked to take substantial cuts as well. Keep checking back to Daytime Confidential as this story develops.

http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11...massive-pay-cut

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is one of the worst statements ever put out there IMO. I hate that a website like DC would put that out there.

If there are other stars who cannot afford to take the pay cuts and some like Suzanne Rogers who depends on her pay for her health care most likely cannot take them.

And to say that like they did thus says that someone who doesn't take the pay cut is not a team player.

As I have said before it is not the responsibility of the actors to have to take these cuts. This is a job and their livelihood.

I hate that many fans are even making them feel like they have to do this just for the sake of the show still being on the air.

It is just like people criticizing Kim Zimmer for not taking a pay cut and hurting GL's potential of staying on the air. And look how that turned out. Are all those people who criticized Zimmer and threw her under the bus thinking that she did not have GL's best interest in heart happy about how the show has turned out.

I wish these people would just look at GL and realize that it is not always best for a show to stay on the air.

I am so reminded of Irna Phillips statement to Time magazine in 1940:

The changes that Days are having to make and what GL has had to make have definitely gone beyond logic. When it gets to be not logical for characters that should be there for stories to not be there and excuses have to be made constantly for them logic has been suspended.

GL's core families have been ripped at their hearts and all are so fragmented that the show doesn't even have a family feel anymore. And that is what Days is looking forward to.

Come on people let these shows die with dignity.

• Members

All that says is that Peter and Kristian know they're not marketable and wouldn't find success anywhere else. Not that I don't love me some Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso, but all this B.S. that some fans have about being "teamplayers" and "wanting the show to succeed" is total horse manure. Making scale wages is better than no wage at all I guess!

• Members

I really, REALLY hope Suzanne Rogers can hold onto her contract and her health insurance. I am absolutely disgusted that her life saving medical coverage is so expensive that, at the age of 64, she needs to be concerned about holding onto a contract...get on it Obama!

Kristian knows she'll never land a show again. Sure, she's got her clothing and jewelry lines at HSN...but Suzanne Somers she aint.

• Members

The "Good for them" comment is asinine. The real reason is that a pay cut is better than no job at all and they can't really afford to leave because the job openings on soaps are quite limited. If they really want to cut costs, they should trim off unnecessary cast members and then focus on pulling the ratings up by writing stories for characters that have been liked for years.

• Members

Of course they are marketable! They just love the show and are devoted to its success in spite of the fact that Corday doesn't know what the hell he is doing. Peter and Kristian are both extraordinary actors. Hell, Kristian made it in primetime for a bit. She can do it again if she wanted to.

Archived