Y&R: Week of November 17, 2008

• Members

I think I have figured out the Y&R "Night Shift" on Soapnet :-). Someone else actually said something like this months ago.

It is set in LA. Nina, Cricket (last seen there for Forrester on B&B), Ricky (Paul's son), Danny (didn't he say something about living in Malibu?) are all there. With their Katherine-stash, Daniel and Amber go to LA to see if they can get something started in art and fashion. They give themselves 13 weeks to launch some connections, then plan to go back to GC. If they wanted, Kevin and Jana could even tag along and return to the Ashram for comedic relief, and to try to rebuild what is lacking in their marriage since Kevin got all money hungry and ruthless again.

Guest appearances by Forrester creations and maybe some Project Runway folks :-). A remote at the LA museum of modern art.

I don't have a plot in mind, really, except that Daniel and Amber crash with Danny in Malibu. Paul comes to LA to visit Ricky, and finds out that Cricket has been regularly watching over him. She is staying with Nina, where Paul decides to bunk. Phillip IV comes home on leave.

In addition, Amber reconnects briefly with Rick, and goes on a desert road trip with Daniel to Furnace Creek to visit Little Eric/Little D.

Like I said, I don't have a plot in mind...just little events/episodes/reunions. But these could be at least as sentimental as this year's Night Shift...which would be a good thing.

Plus, introducing some characters like Ricky, P4, and Little D could help start next generations that could go back to the mothership (of either B&B or Y&R, actually).

I'm shocked by the absence of young females...but non-related females as love interests could easily be created, and the gay option (Ricky with Little D or whatever) is always a possibility too. They can do whatever they want to equate these guys in age, since they have all been off screen for so long.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Catching up on the rest of last week, and was VERY surprised by the Abbott breakfast scenes. Whoever wrote those scenes did a wonderful job. Eileen, Beth, Peter, Judith, and Billy all did a marvelous job with their guilt and sorrow. I loved how John didn't sugar coat things to Gloria, and told her EXACTLY how he felt (of course would imply that Gloria does have a conscience after all). Right now Judith Chapman's Gloria is reminding me of Brenda Dickson's Jill Abbott. Who else thinks Jeffrey will find Kay, and blackmail Gloria to keep her mouth shut with the cream? This is like a classic Bill Bell plot, and if it plays out that way I hope in the end it leads to Jeffrey's death. I loved the character in the beginning, but now he's being written as too sinister. I hope it leads to an awesome "Who shot Jeffrey Bardwell?" storyline, and has the brilliance of the story involving David Kimble. BTW I love Murphy/Katherine. It was also very sad to see all those spectacular returns come to an end. Beth Maitland is always a class act, and I love whenever she visits Genoa City.

Oh and Chris Engen was very good opposite Eric Braeden in those jail cell scenes. For me, Adam was speaking for the fans who can't stand Victor in that scene. Nick is a loser. I can't wait until Victor turns his back on that little bi.tch again.

Here's a video of Jerry Douglas/Peter Bergman on CBS talking about "Ghost John." Link

• Members

Re Jeanne's party.Interesting to see who was and wasn't there(at least judging by the photos)

Alex Donnelly was a surprise-is she close to Jeanne or the Bell's?

No sign of Mel & Ed Scott...

Doug Davidson looked great-better than on the show.

Not flattering shots of LLB-she looked a little goggle eyed.

Re Y&R

Liked the fact that the set up the bookstore set-a nice change.

Why are Devon and his girlfriend on the show?They are paying him to do nothing.

I am not liking the Ashley/Victor story.When Nikki contacted her,she was reluctant to get involved,but in Paris ,they hopped into bed and she is now devotedly by his side.

I think it would have been more interesting had Ashley been cooler to Victor and called him on his antics.That should have been the catalyst for him coming out of his depression.

When Jack warned Ash not to get involved with Vic,it would have been refreshing if she agreed. Then we could slowly see then become involved and maybe Victor could treat her decently and Ash could look less lovesick and more intelligent.

Same with Nikki.Victor would for once not have these women pining after him-it would be a new angle and lead to an evolution of the Victor character.

• Members

On the subject of Tammin's time off, it's clearly because the show isn't interested in using her. If they were no way they'd allow a fairly new contract tied actor put side projects before the show. Especially for something as big as Katherine's funeral, Traci's extended return and the complete revival of the Abbott family. I think it's just something they don't want to deal with now since they don't have plans for Colleen at the moment.

Pretty interesting having Alex Donelly at that party since it wasn't full of people who aren't currently associated with the show. I'd love to have her back and with Jack since he's at such an awful transitional period right now. Kyle and Diane would be great for him.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 23 2008, 05:19 PM)
On the subject of Tammin's time off, it's clearly because the show isn't interested in using her. If they were no way they'd allow a fairly new contract tied actor put side projects before the show. Especially for something as big as Katherine's funeral, Traci's extended return and the complete revival of the Abbott family. I think it's just something they don't want to deal with now since they don't have plans for Colleen at the moment.

Hopefully Hogan is using this time to research Colleen, having demonstrated that he knows nothing about this legacy character. <_<

• Members

Thing is, it's not Hogan's problem. In the end, the creative direction is MAB's decision and it is pretty clear that she isn't interested in writing for Colleen. What the show needs to do is send Colleen off canvas for 6 months, recast with a different actress and have Colleen and Tracy blow back into Genoa City like a hurricane at some pivotal moment.

• Members

Alex back as Diane could be good,but please no SORASing of Kyle.It's gotten way out of hand.

They would be better off bringing back Keemo and shaping the next generation.

A 30 something asian actor would diversify the canvas and Keemo could go in a million different directions.

Maria & Hogan - keep using the history of these characters to shape the future!!!

• Members

Alex as Diane Jenkins would be GREAT for the show. She's connected to the Abbotts and the Newmans and is the kind of bitch the show needs...especially after the nauseating Sharon & Jack 'romance'...ugh...gag me. Diane owned stock in Jabot, why not have her come into town for a board meeting, bring little Kyle (emphasis on keeping the kid under the age of 13) along with her and spark up an affair with Jack!

Doing so would play beautifully into the conflicted Jack and Ashley relationship as Ashley is with Victor and Jack is with Diane...none of whom can stand each other! That leaves Nikki with Paul cowering in her drunk stilettos to the wrath of Jill who is facing the heat from Jack who is facing the heat from Victor!

The connections! Bring back Diane Jenkins in the form of Alex Donnelly! MAB, HS, SH and PR...I'm BEGGING you!

• Members

I just wanted to say that seeing Lauren apologize to Traci was one of the most wondrous things I've ever seen and speaks so highly to the power of soaps. We will never again have a medium where we can watch characters literally grow, mature and evolve right in front of our eyes the way Lauren Fenmore has. I applaud TPTB for allowing that to happen. It's been a long time coming.

• Members

Okay, so I haven't been commenting lately a lot, but that's because I was always behind on watching Y&R and I didn't wanna spoil anything for myself by coming to the threads. But now I finally caught up...

And wow, this week's been AMAZING (aside from Friday..). LOVED seeing everyone back. And like everyone else, I would welcome pretty much every one of the guests back full time! This was the first time I saw Dina and I LOVE her! Of course, Traci, Nina, Liz were a delight to watch as well.

Ashley being back is wonderful as well, although I hate her with Victor, but at this point, I really don't care, as long as she's back on the show.

Not repeat everything else that has been said, I will just say that I still hold out hope that Cane will somehow turn out NOT to be Philip, because it was just so RIDICULOUS to watch him and Nina, when Goddard is 10 years younger than the original Philip. Also, a reversal of Jill/Kay's mother and daughter thing would be amazing too. These two things are currently my only two wishes for Y&R. Simply because I love what the show is doing right now.

I love Victor's storyline (even though I hate Victor himself), I love the Jabot storyline, I love Katherine's storyline, I love Phyllis/Nick/Sharon/Jack storyline... I think Winters storyline has potential, but they just need to get there to the good stuff. The only stuff I am bored right now with is the young adults stuff (Kevin, Jana, Amber, Daniel, Lily, Chloe, Billy, Cane).

But here's to Y&R continuing being amazing in the future! :cheers:

• Members

Indeed. It's hard to believe that Paul has been with the show for 30 years! Thank god, Doug Davidson has resisted any trends for nip/tuck and still looks dashing and basically same when he did in the 70s...

The only ageing I noticed is that he is now dying his hair; probably the first gray shades are appearing... :D

Can't wait for a Nikki & Paul redux - hopefully this will properly develop. This could just get sooo good. As soon as Nikki is seeing so. else, Victor is bound to be pushy and dismantle such developments. :lol:

Re: this week

The will reading was fabulous. Mitchell Sherman and his wig aside it was riveting; not because of shock but because it made ALL sense. Esther getting half thze mansion, the distribution of stock, gifts to friends and extended family. All this served storyline purposes but at the same felt natural. I was fearing that Nikki would get stock instead of Jill but the writers made a great choice.

And I floved Jill's extremely cold and snide remark to Nikki. B*tch fights are bound to happen soon if these two continue their sparing... LOL!

The Abbott family breakfast was pure magic. I loved, loved, loved every second of it. Each of John's offsprings talking to Ghost John had me concerned but was done wonderfully. NuBilly (the actor is superb!), Tracy, Ashley, Jack and Gloria who can even lie to her self-conscience. ;) At the same it proved once again what an egregious mistake it was to kill John of. Thankfully, the current writers find ways to ship around this.

Both the funeral and the will-reading episode are shoe-ins for an Emmy!

• Members

It truly was wonderful to see this scene played out decades later by the same actresses. Tracey Bregman and Beth Maitland play so well off each other. Maybe they can bring Scotty back and have him get involved with Colleen. Tracy Abbott brings such a graciousness to the Abbott family that is now missing with the passing of John. Maybe Tracy can take over as the voice of reason for the family. Jack and Ashley can't realy play that part. A Colleen/Scotty pairing would add to the twenty yr old crowd and allow Lauren and Tracy to interact. They can even have Scotty feeling some jealousy about the way Lauren is raising Fen.

I also hope this scene reminds Maria Bell that Tracey Bregman is a fine actress and should be used as more than an occassional prop to her family. And that she has connections to most of the characters on the canvas. She really is being wasted on the show as nothing more than a "talk to" character.

Archived