OLTL: New interview with Erika Slezak

• Members

She may not be quite as clipped as Viki, but she does have really good speech IRL which she got from RADA. She talks about this in her Intimate Portrait. I reread my post, and I sound a little bitchy which is a shame b/c I really do like her. I guess I was just letting my imagination get the best of me. BUT, she did come across as a smidge snooty to me when she was taking about her Emmys. There was a soundbite they used on the promos for her Intimate Portrait where she's like, "I have six Emmys... and no one else has that." I guess you had to be there, I can't do justice to her delivery over the web, but it was a little "Well, smell you, Nancy Drew"...

She did call what Ellen Holly said about her in her book "Bull$#!%" which I found hilarious.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally understand what you're saying. It's not that we don't like Erika, I like her and so do you. Terrific actress, lovely lady, she's great. But she's got a very 'dear' way of speaking and everything, from her look to her speech is 'just so'...it's very prim and proper and elegant. That's not a bad thing...it's just a fact of life.

She has very mannered behavior, again, that's fine, but to hear her describe herself as normal makes me smile. It's like that old saying, if you have to say you're a lady...you're not.

• Members

Which has always given me a moment to pause....in her interview she was obviously being sarcastic, but it was just inappropriate considering the people who were fired felt very hurt by what happened and didn't need to read something misprint in an interview by a "supposed" friend.

• Members

My friends and I who have a theatre background similar to ES also have good speech, and awful pronunciation is like nails against the chalkboard. This is something we've been trained to hear/speak, we weren't born to cringe at nasalized "an" sounds. It becomes sort of an OCD thing for those who embrace it, speech is not everybody's "thing". We are as normal as can be, but this is an idiosyncracy that some may find snooty and eccentric, and we accpet that. It is what it is, and I'm the last person to ever knock ANYone for speaking well. But that doesn't mean that I can't be tickled by ES' "fahthuh's" and "Jess-ee-ka's" and perfectly dry "T's". :P It is such a unique quality of Viki's, no one besides wannabe Dorian has such a sound on daytime.

Archived