The Suds Report - Halloween Edition

• Members

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Soaps/Suds..._news_nelson_NB

My Nelson hate is well-documented on this board. But, God help me, I agree with too much of what he's said here.

If you need me, I'll be in the shower...

NEWSIEST QUOTES OF THE WEEK:

“The head writer comes up with the ideas for the long stories, at least on this show. It has always been that way. The executive producer doesn’t say, ‘Here’s the story I want you to write. Write it.’”

—DAYS’ executive producer Ken Corday’s blatant lies in Soap Opera Digest’s inside report, Day Jobs: The ABCs of TPTB, written by Elaine G. Flores.

Translation: Just ask Hogan Sheffer, Dena Higley, and every single DAYS writer in the history of the show with the exception of Bill Bell.

“It was so sad. I’m not belittling or putting down the writers for it, because they had to create storyline for Nicole. Her Cassie was not Laura Wright’s Cassie, and they didn’t want her to be — so it was unfortunate that these sisters who had such a vibrant, wonderful relationship while Laura was in the character, [didn’t] when Nicole started playing it. They totally rewrote history with Cassie and Reva. Nicole didn’t really know. To have her get involved with Josh was a huge mistake.”

—Kim Zimmer (Reva) sounds off to Soap Opera Weekly regarding Nicole Forester’s GL exit next week.

Translation: I work with morons. Someone help me! I’m defending these people — what’s happened to me! I used to go up against the likes of Paul Rauch and Cynthia Watros and now these hacks have ruined my integrity for a sad paycheque!

“You’ve never seen this [storyline done] before on daytime. It’s way cool, super innovative, and will surely get [your] attention.”

—GH head writer Bob Guza on moving his previously reported big November sweeps-stunt to January 2009 in Soaps In Depth.

Translation: Let me see if I get fired first before I give them my “best” stuff, which I blatently stole from either a movie or a prime-time series.

30 Rock, NBC — Soap Opera Digest co-stars alongside Tina Fey

• Congratulations are in order for Soap Opera Digest! The venerable daytime-TV magazine earned a cameo on one of the best shows on prime time. The Aug. 26 issue featuring Genie Francis (Laura, GH) was showcased when VP Jack brings a copy to his new boss, Kathy Geiss, who just happens to be a huge soap fan. A DAYS episode was also featured on the show. Editorial Director Lynn Leahey tells The Suds-erella Report: “We thought it was hilarious. 30 Rock is an office favourite. We aren't planning to return to prime time, but never say never!”

All My Children, A/ABC — Robin Christopher back? Budig confirms exit; Is Cameron Mathison next?

• The Suds Report has learned that ABC has asked Robin Christopher to return as Skye Chandler Quartermaine for Myrtle’s funeral. An entire episode will be devoted to Eileen Herlie, who passed away last month at age 90. An insider suggests the soap won’t approach Emmy winner Linda Dano (ex-Rae Cummings), who played Myrtle’s daughter, for reasons that are unclear.

• For the second week in a row, Emmy winner Susan Lucci (Erica) found herself in the bottom two on Dancing With the Stars. Have you noticed that Lucci dances the same way she acts? The problem with La Lucci’s dancing is she can’t get out of that beautiful head of hers, and that has been the problem with her acting. Let go, Susan… jump off the cliff, and trust that the net will appear. Dance — and act — from the heart. That’s my three cents.

• Rebecca Budig confirmed her exit in early spring next year to soapnet.com after The Suds Report broke the story of her impending departure months ago. Mrs. Bob Guiney returned as Greenlee this past January after a two-year absence (AMC fired her replacement, the popular Sabine Singh, in a very controversial ad campaign dubbing Budig the “real” Greenlee while the recast was still airing).

“I will miss her terribly,” Cameron Mathison (Ryan) tells The Suds Report. “She’s one of my closest friends, and I love working her. We’re always there for each other. As a character, I can tell Becky needs a change professionally. I think it’s great she wants to do other things. It was always her intention to leave after one year. She was smart coming back here, considering the writers’ strike halted productions out in L.A. She has bigger things out there waiting for her, but I’m sad as a friend to lose her.”

Recently, Budig has been invading Mathison’s hosting territory, which is fine by the actor. “She has a great personality, and is very intelligent. She’s a good host, and a great actress. I really respect Becky for sticking to her guns. Listen, it’s hard to leave a show that’s paying you lots of money,” he raves.

So who should Mathison’s Ryan Lavery be paired with romantically now that his much-maligned “love interest” is bolting? “I don’t know for sure,” he says. Who do we think Ryan’s next lover should be? The Suds Report would love a Ryan-Kendall-Zach love triangle or a hot romp in the hay with Erica Kane. Hmmm… wonder if the aforementioned pairings will set off tornadoes and part the skies?

Mathison may soon find himself in the same position Budig is in — his contract is up for renewal soon, so don’t be squishing any names just yet. Riding on his Dancing With the Stars fame, Mathison’s currently hosting E! Canada’s Instant Beauty Pageant, along with securing his fledgling entertainment correspondent status on Good Morning America. The big question: will he stay or leave? “We haven’t talked yet,” he answers. “Chuck Pratt, our head writer, has taken three story meetings with me, so I’m very optimistic. I would love to stay on the show forever, but I’m also covering my bases, you know?” Yep, we know.

Did You Know… that Cameron Mathison was supposed to tape an Imaginary Bitches’ cameo but his Dancing With the Stars’ gig interfered? His replacement? Y&R’s Greg Rikaart (Kevin).

• Yesterday, Tamara Braun debuted as Bianca’s starter wife Reese. According to AMC, when your pregnant lover almost dies in a tornado, you hug the love of your life, not kiss her for dear life. In fact, Reese showed more affection to Zach instead of our beloved Binks. Hello — even ATWT’s Luke and Noah kissed during their initial scenes. I give up… daytime wants to die. Memo to Riegel: run to Y&R as a Mac recast, puh-lease? Elizabeth Hendrickson (Chloe; ex-Maggie, AMC) misses you!

• It’s hilarious how Bobbie Eakes refuses to cry or emote over Babe’s death! Does Krystal even know her daughter just died? Yikes... I guess I’m not the only one who is happy Amanda Baker is out as nuBabe.

• Hopefully, Brian Frons will leave OLTL alone now that “the best show ever” gained 237,000 viewers, thanks to Tornado-ville.

As The World Turns, Global/CBS — Agim Kaba and Austin Peck out?

• Soap Opera Weekly is quoting online rumors that suggest hair model Agim Kaba (Aaron), and former hair model Austin Peck (Austin) are set to exit Brooklyn for good. A rep reminds “the show does not comment on rumours” this week. While I can see the defeated Kaba leaving, I can’t imagine ATWT would be stupid enough to lose one half of one of the few remaining super-couples they have on the show. On second thought, scratch that.

• One of my favourite child actors in daytime, Daniel Manche (J.J.), is starring as the younger version of Lost’s Dominic Monaghan in a new movie I Sell The Dead. The film first premièred at Toronto’s After Dark Film Festival on Oct. 24. In the storyline, Manche tries to sell dead ATWT ad space to no avail.

• Congratulations are in order for one of my favourite former younger actresses on soaps, Alexandra Chando (ex-Maddie). The Daytime Emmy-nominated actress booked a role on TheWB.com’s new web series, Rockville, CA. The O.C./Gossip Girl/Chuck mastermind Josh Schwartz created the series.

The Bold and the Beautiful, CTV/CBS — Wagner on Melrose 2.0

• Click here to see the funniest clip ever from Talk Soup. Take a sip of beer every time Ridge says “Rick!”

• This is funny, too.

• Say adios to Drew Tyler Bell as Thomas on Nov. 3. Memo to Bell: enroll in an acting class, ‘yo!

• Maybe the powers-that-be should listen to the press more often. While Y&R has lost almost a million viewers since last year, B&B has subtracted half a million fans from its total viewers from 2007. Two words: Kay. Alden.

• With news that The CW is thinking of re-launching Melrose Place, à la 90210, fans are wondering if Jack Wagner (Nick) would consider returning to the series as a guest star. Reps for Wagner didn’t return emails at press time.

Days of our Lives, Global/NBC — Higley on Reilly’s death

• Still mourning the loss of DAYS’ legend James E. Reilly? Click here for a touching tribute with a rare interview of the Emmy-winning scribe.

• Future head writer Alison Sweeney (Sami) was on Chelsea Lately when my hero, Ms. Handler, thought the Biggest Loser host starred on GH! D’oh!

• Is Sweeney’s biggest fan, Ben Silverman, out as NBC’s head cheese? Sources report that BBC America’s Paul Telegdy may replace him. Hmmm… wonder what that means for the future of DAYS? As most of you know, soaps are huge in the UK (there are like, 10 soap magazines to put it in perspective for you, and all the major newspapers and magazines cover the industry on their front pages).

• Marlena Black should be worried: DAYS is casting a 40 year-old psychiatrist, claims Soap Opera Digest. Hopefully, the therapist can cure what ails Salem!

• Head writer Dena Higley shared her thoughts on the passing of James E. Reilly on her blog, which apparently she writes herself without any assistance. “I’d like to mention the passing of Jim Reilly,” she remarks. “He was, and will always remain, an amazing force behind the history of DAYS. I was lucky enough to write for him during the ‘Buried Alive’ storyline — one of my favourites. Of course, I think he will most be remembered for having Marlena act completely out of character when she was possessed, and then again when she was a serial killer. Two very popular and successful storylines. Jim’s imagination was crazy and it was an adventure working for him. He will be missed by the entire daytime community.”

General Hospital, CTV/ABC — Natalia Livingston back on GH? Kin Shriner fired?

• Worst news ever: According to daytimeconfidential.com, Emmy winner Natalia Livingston (ex-Emily) was spotted at the ABC studios recently to read for a new role. Didn’t they learn from the Sarah Brown (Claudia) debacle? I swear these people are intellectually challenged!

• It just keeps getting worse and worse on this soap, folks! Soap Opera Weekly is reporting that when Genie Francis (Laura) is finally kicked out of the studio during the Nov. 10 week, Kin Shriner (Scotty) will exit as well. In my opinion, DAYS should hire the talented actor. Heck — they should bring back Diana Collville, the role Genie Francis made famous in Salem, too!

• One of Soaps In Depth’s many moles is reporting that Maurice Benard (Sonny) will more than likely re-sign with GH. So purchase a few more bulletproof jackets, bitches!

• My heart skipped a beat when I read this spoiler. After Robin and Patrick’s baby is delivered via C-section, the sexy Dr. Drake notices that his daughter, Emma’s ear has been cut thanks to the umbilical chord wrapped around her neck — which could expose the baby to Robin’s HIV! Yikes — now that’s inherent conflict on a show completely devoid of it. Don’t worry, Baby Scorpio-Drake turns out to be HIV-negative. Robin’s fate, however, is an entirely different matter. After she learns the baby is healthy, Robin falls into a coma due to several life-threatening blood clots. Expect Patrick and Matt to bond over this family health crisis. Somewhere, Claire Labine is smiling.

• Holy crap: You know Brian Frons is on the phone with Dena Higley right now! GH plummeted down to seventh place out of eight soaps last week in total viewers! SnarkWeighsIn chimed in: “At this point, they’re only about a half million viewers ahead of GL. In the women 18-49 demo, they’re in fourth place. This was in a week where nearly every other soap rose in the ratings. This just means that they’re going to plan the craziest February sweeps they can think of.” If Bob Guza still has a job by then, that is. Paging Sri Rao!

General Hospital: Night Shift, SOAPnet/DirecTV — What’s next — Jennifer Hudson’s deceased family pics?

• Hey SOAPnet: When is Night Sri’s DVD coming out? I need some stocking stuffers to accompany the Imaginary Bitches DVD I’m sending out to everyone I know — and hate. Yep, that includes you GL!

• This is just plain creepy: ABC/SOAPnet has apologized for an embarrassing mistake made in the Oct. 14 episode of the soap when Toussaint glanced at a photo of his long-lost son. The prop photo chosen was that of six-year-old Christopher Barrios, who was kidnapped and murdered in 2007. “We offer our deepest condolences to the Barrios family for their loss, and our sincerest apologies for any pain caused by our mistake,” said a statement from the networks. SOAPnet will be running PSAs to raise awareness about missing and exploited children and will permanently edit out the photo from the episode.

Guiding Light, Global/CBS — GL lost half a million viewers from last year!

• A GL actor called The Suds Report to say, “things are only getting worse. The writing is on the wall. I don’t think we’re going to make it.” Well, duh!

• In daytime TV, anyone can keep his or her job without any accountability. This time last year, GL had a half million viewers more than it does now. Do the math, idiots — your new production model sucks big time. How these hacks keep their jobs is beyond me.

Life In General, STRIKE-TV.com — Brian Frons won’t be happy about this!

• Respected soap scribe Karen Harris has finally launched her pièce de résistance: soap spoof Life in General Greenville General (horrible titles, by the way). Described as two companion web dramas, Harris’ behind-the-scenes essay on the soap world can be viewed by all on the newly launched Strike.TV. In an inspired twist, Greenville General is a scripted soap, which accompanies Life In General. Harris suggests watching Life first… before you turn on GH!

One Life to Live, A/ABC — Todd pounds Marty — with her “permission!”

• Don’t you wish Tarty was Tardy? Head writer Brian Frons has a doozy of a plot twist this week when Todd and Marty have sex. Yes, you read that right, rape survivors. And it may just get worse: online rumours are hinting that Marty may become pregnant! Do I believe the controversial spoiler? No, but clearly I have no idea what’s happening on this show anymore. And neither does anyone employed there.

• Just what Bree Williamson (Tessica) needs — another reason to overact! It appears Tess and Jess aren’t the only personalities fighting for control of the peroxide bottle. On Nov. 7, gatekeeper Bess pops up. Also, look for Tess to conjure up Niki Smith so the slutty Lord personality can help her favourite hair model through labour. If that wasn’t enough drama, Starr gives birth this week as well, but one of the aforementioned babies will die. And rumour has it one of the bambino’s will be switched. Meanwhile, in other OLTL news, I’m re-watching last year’s episodes. Ahh, those were the good old days. You know, when the soap was good and Ron Carlivati wielded autonomy. Memo to Frons: AMC is the best soap ever, so why don’t you try peeing on the trees over there for a change?

• They say it’s a must-see episode, however, I somehow doubt that. Don’t miss OLTL’s sex-infused and umbilical-chord-themed episode on Nov. 6, warns ABC. Don’t worry, I’ll be watching GL instead.

• I so need to buy this book! On Dec. 30, start your new year off “write” by buying Catherine Hickland’s (Lindsay) new self-help book, The 30-Day Heartbreak Cure: Getting Over Him and Back Out There One Month From Today (Simon Spotlight Entertainment). One of the most underrated and underused actresses in TV writes about her two failed marriages to stars David Hasselhoff and Michael E. Knight (Tad, AMC). You know Lindsay is reading an advanced copy in Statesville! Hickland told The Suds Report she loves being an author, saying, “I came up with this program and wrote the book and it is the best darn thing for getting out of someone else’s head and back into your own. It has been tried and true and worked for SO many people over the past 10 years that even Lindsay Rappaport herself could be healed. Plus, you get a laugh every now and then. Laughter, some plain great advice from someone who knows AND cares, added with some hand-holding, it's the perfect combination for getting over a break up.” Yep, Tarty is going to need this book big time! And so will Brian Frons and ABC.

• That was Daytime Emmy-nominated Dan Gauthier (ex-Kevin) on this past week’s The New Adventures of Old Christine. Wouldn’t a romance between Marty and her accused rapist, Kevin, been a better romantic hook-up? (The full episode is up on CBS.com. Click here to watch - Marceline)

• January LaVoy (Noelle) and John Rue (Moe) are returning to Llanview for the soap’s Thanksgiving episodes. Sources hint Noelle and Moe will make a permanent move to Rapeview because one less hair model lives there.

• Speaking of which, Justis Bolding (Sarah) confirmed her impending OLTL exit on her website. The Suds Report broke the fantastic news two weeks ago. While no final airdate has been announced because she’s still taping, Bolding says, “As I end my cycle with OLTL I wanted to take a moment to chat. I’m not exactly sure of my last day, but it will be in the next couple of weeks. At the moment, I’m still working on wrapping my current storyline.” Oh, happy day! Jesus finally took the wheel, and if it means we have to lose Andrea Evans (Tina), then that’s a deal I’ll take.

• Great news from The New York Daily News’ Carolyn Hinsey: OLTL will go back to promoting the next day’s episodes next week. “We have an amazing story coming in November, and we want the audience to get a sneak preview every day,” says executive producer Frank Valentini. Hey, I’ll be the judge of that!

• Tuc Watkins who? Can we sign Doc Dougherty (Jackie McNaughton) to a contract STAT? The sexy thug actually managed to steal scenes from his sparring partner Robin Strasser! It was clear Jackie made La Cramer all wet inside. And me, too!

Planet Soap, TVTropolis — Michelle Stafford she isn’t!

• Kimberlin Brown alert: Y&R’s psycho Sheila brought chaos to the Forrester Family when she appeared on sister soap show B&B — and Planet Soap sat down with the superstar to talk about all things crazy. Be very afraid!

The Young and the Restless, Global/CBS — Braeden on Rowell

• Originally Y&R stated that Eric Braeden (Victor), Eileen Davidson (Ashley), Joshua Morrow (Nick) and Sharon Case (Sharon) were en-route to film next week’s Paris remote. The Suds Report has since learned that the soap added Michelle Stafford (Phyllis) to the roster at the last minute. Parisians love to spit, so Stafford fit in like P&G and a rating slide. So what’s the story set-up? Well, it’s actually not so bad. Desperate to find Victor before he harms himself, Nikki asks Ashley to find their ex-husband because the FBI and a hair model are watching her 24/7. You just know Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki) is fuming because she wasn’t asked to be a part of the Parisian trip.

• It’s no secret Bill Bell’s greatest casting discoveries, Eric Braeden (Victor Victorious) and Victoria Rowell (ex-Drucilla), shared a great deal of respect and love for each other. “What a wonderful woman. I respect Victoria a great deal. She’s a rare talent,” Braeden tells The Suds Report. “I know she left the show on her own accord with great reason, but I wish she’d come back. Victor and Drucilla were great admirers of each other because they came from similar backgrounds. There was a lot of unexplored material there.”

• Shocker: Y&R scribes Thom Racina and Lisa Seidman were fired and replaced by Amanda Beall and Melissa Salmons. Some fans have been critical of Racina’s work because he filled in the blanks with the assertion Sabrina was a great love of Victor’s. Of course, he did — that’s the only way you could have saved the sudden-impact storyline and make it resonate. On every other show, suspension of belief is a prerequisite (rapist survivors falling in love with their rapists, for example). Sorry folks, but if this is the only stretch of the imagination required on daytime TV’s best soap, then I’m on board. Anyway, did any of you guys watch The Bridges of Madison County? Sometimes you fall in love with someone in just four days… when it comes to love, time is not a factor. Yes, the relationship was rushed, but nonetheless, I buy that Victor loved Sabrina and understand why he’s pissed off that life dangled a woman who actually treasured him and made him happy and then took it all away in the most tragic way. Remember Victor hates being abandoned — he grew up in an orphanage. So on that note, a soap better hire Racina soon. And memo to Racina: get over your fears of head-writing a soap, bitch! Daytime needs you!

• Congratulations to my pals over at Daytimeconfidential.com for getting their Victoria Rowell bombshell interview international attention!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope Skye returns for Myrtle's funeral. But I hope ABC brings back Rae too. It would be stupid for her not to attend her mother's funeral.

I sure hope this supposed new character played by Natalia Livingston turns out to be Emily. Em being killed off was stupid as hell, just as killing off Alan and Georgie was (And AJ before them).

GH needs a major overhaul. Fire The headwriters and exec producer and a third of the cast. Get rid of the mob including axing Sonny, Anthony, Trevor. Karpov, plus axing Spinelli, Kate, Nadine, & Sasha. Thankfully in the new SOD Ilia Volok(Karpov) is being axed and thankfully Sebastian Roche is out as Jerry too.

• Members

That I agree with. Four years later and he STILL sucks.

Yeah, because Bradley is such an awesome writer on his own. :lol:

The ratings decline aside, B&B has greatly improved in the past year. Sure, it could be better, but it could be - and has been - much, much worse. The storylines seem to make more sense now. The characters seem to be more motivated. I, for one, am actually interested in the outcome of certain storylines. And that Pam storyline (which Bradley would never, EVER have done on his own) was fantastic.

I think he should seriously consider heading back to Melrose Place full-time! ;)

I highly doubt VR will ever be back, for a number of reasons. She pissed too many people off. And she would have to work with Christel Khalil, and after she badmouthed her in that interview, it would be incredibly awkward for all involved.

Maybe B&B could hire Racina to replace Bradley as HW? ;)

Archived