SOD Headlines

• Members

Susan Haskell says Marty's no longer in physical pain and that's a good excuse for sex. Says the scene isn't graphic like it makes a difference.

RC is ugh. Todd raped her, got ontop of her and forced himself inside her and then egged two of his friends to unzip their pants and ride her too while she cried for help and begged them not to do it. He then stalked her and attempted to rape her again and again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvtpGJ-Xie0

How hot! Rape is obviously foreplay to true love, I guess. There's some very sick bastards at ABCD.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pure shock for shock sake. I don't see how anyone can defend this. It's not enough for Marty to lash out at Todd when she regains her memory, Todd needs to be violently killed. Most said things would never get this far, and it has. I suppose some would defend Marty giving birth to Todd's child now too...

If Carlivati, Frons, and Valentini are hoping this will create some positive buzz for the show, they're saldy mistaken, IMO.

• Members

Yea, because that makes ALL the difference in the world.

So thought ABC hit a new level of tacky with the tumor defense on AMC and GH, but this does take the cake.

If this is the payoff that OLTL has talked about I hate to see what they will do next.

• Members

This is the time when I would have loved it if Susan Haskell had said something about it or refused to do it. Many actors rejected storylines and got away with it, then why wouldn't she reject this? It's sick.

• Members

Maybe someone else can help me on the specifics, but I seem to recall that when Roger was playing Todd, he and Susan both vehemently spoke up to TPTB about their characters not getting romantically involved, after one of the previous head writers suggested it. Or am I imagining this?

• Members

Yes, I believe it was Malone, weirdly enough, who suggested pairing Marty and Todd.

I guess Susan's priorities are elsewhere and she probably feels that since she just came back, she has no room to question her current storyline.

Isn't there a mini-sweeps in August? I guess that's when we can expect Marty giving birth to Todd's baby. :rolleyes:

• Members

I think the only person that was ever really against Todd/Marty hooking up was Roger Howarth. Good man for that. I can no longer take SH seriously on that topic, she not even really saying I rather not do this, she's more like this intrigues me, it's just a soap. Whatevs.

I agree. They put themself into a corner. This man violently gang raped her and then attempted to violently rape her again and again and now he's going to have sex with her when she has amnesia. That can't lead to romance that has to lead to violently killing Todd. It's disgusting.

She can have it premature for May Sweeps. Starr and Cole's little sibling.

• Members

IN fanatical defense of Malone- he's said it never had anything to do with romance...and I doubt they would be making love on white virginal sheets....

and I don't think SH has much to say about any of this, because she's acting....I don't know how she got elevated to authority on the subject because of an Emmy?

In this economy, who can refuse a job? But I think they should have rethought that promo- how is that suppose to get viewers to tune in...

this isn't a psychological thriller, it's a mind****.

• Members

The Todd/Marty sex disgusts me on a level I can't begin to describe. It is an indelible stain on the show's history, it should be the end of Todd's character, and no matter what good work RC has done before or may do since, it will never wash off his resume either, in my mind or anyone else's. Literally everything he does this sweeps and beyond could suddenly be brilliant, and it will all be overshadowed by that. Despite major trepidation and issues with the story, I allowed myself to watch it feeling they would not betray my trust on this. But they did, and you can never take that back. It's too huge.

It's something which will make me feel guilty about enjoying the show if I do enjoy it at any time during November or the future; it's something that makes me lose most of my respect for a HW I've really enjoyed. My feelings on his previous stories have not changed, but for now he has to start at below zero with me. That may delight some of you, but really, this does not come as much of a shock to me. I've been mentally steeling myself for something like this for weeks. What I pray, for the sake of the show and my own viewing history, is they find some excellent story beyond this which somehow salvages these characters in a socially responsible way, and that Carlivati is able to salvage the rest of his reputation, which, with a single act, went straight into the trash with me. I believe in a lot of his writing and give most of what he does a chance. This is never something I will give a chance. Any ground he gets back with me he will have to take a single moment at a time. If this was any other show than my favorite soap since childhood, I would have walked away from it like All My Children.

• Members

Oh no, fictional characters involved in a fictional rape are going to engage in fictional sex. I think some people are blowing the Todd and Marty stuff way out of proportion. It's one thing to dislike a storyline but what I've been reading is vitriolic and seems to suggest this has some foot in reality when it clearly doesn't.

• Members

It's not about elevation of authority, it's about wanting the actor to stand up for the integrity of the show and characters at least a little bit. I don't judge SH any lower for not caring (she's basically singing "but she has amnesia so it's fine") but I also don't hold her in any higher esteem for trying to sell this. It's her job though, although I don't think she's in desperate need of work she probably does like working again and all.

They're throwing out "but she has amnesia," I don't get how that makes OLTL doing this less sick. How does it make it less sick unless she finds out and kills Todd because unfortunately that's now what he deserves from her? These two had such a rich history that could have gone on forever and it's throwed away to "tickle" and shock.

Maybe he can call Powell and Zach up for turns, that should tickle some of the suits and skirts at ABCD. "Hey Marty I have an idea..."

ETA:

Did you all get that memo, soaps are fiction and us dumba**es should just watch it and root on the disgusting garbage or pretty much shut up. Got it?

• Members

I can say that about a lot of stories daytime has told (and have!) but rape is a whole different animal. Too many of us have either been directly affected by it, or are close with somebody who has been directly affected by it. The way the original Marty story was told gave hope and direction to a lot of women who struggled with it themselves, even if it did get preachy at times. I think the reason why so many of us have one foot in reality with this story is that there's an irresponsibility to it. We watch these shows every day because we let these characters into our lives like family... and yes, they are fictional and most of us are aware of that. But we relate to the show five hours a week because we see aspects of ourselves in these characters, and either want to be like them, or learn from their mistakes, or wonder how we would handle similar problems. To devote five hours a week to a show, there has to be part of you that connects with it on a very personal level. Doesn't mean we're delusional, it just means we have an emotional attachment. But it would be like if somebody who has AIDS on a soap decided to sleep with somebody they hated just to give them the disease as revenge. It's in bad form, bad taste, and I don't care how "scandalous" it is, it's subject matter that should never be treated lightly.

Archived