SOD Headlines

• Members

In some ways, this is how I feel, but for me RC will have to do a lot of brilliant work for a year or more to even begin to get away from the stench of this, if at all. It will always color my opinion of him and of his work, which is painful for me since like you I have often found him brilliant, and I truly believe he is probably OLTL's last best HW. This is a stain he can never erase, and once audience trust is lost with something like this it can probably never be regained for a large group of people. For all I know he has some brilliant conclusion planned, and normally I would trust in that, but as it is, let's look at the facts we know or highly suspect:

- Marty and Todd "make love" without her fully informed consent, destroying Todd's years of careful rehabilitation and semi-redemption. Never again can you put Todd with a woman. Never again can you have Todd fight against his past and have him or another character support him by telling him "you are not the same man that raped Marty." Because he is now doing it again. No matter what she tries to say, no matter how the bedroom looks, no matter how she welcomes him into her arms, Marty is a brain-damaged amnesiac who Todd has lied to every step of the way and is about to lie to about her son just before they make love. It is rape.

- Starr and Jessica's storylines do not yet have payoff. According to rumor, Jessica's second alter, "Bess," will switch Jessica's dead baby (her last link to Nash) for a live one, Starr's child. Hence another delightful "baby switch." While this story may involve two characters the audience is deeply invested in (as opposed to our being expected to watch AMC in 2004), it is still just another baby switch, and it will preoccupy these characters for months when all we really want is to see Starr and Jessica move on into newer, better stories.

- From all magazine spoilers, the heavy implication is that Marty does not yet regain her memory, and may only be told the truth about Todd, not remember it herself. This robs us of the biggest payoff of all: Marty's memory crashing in on her and Todd, and Marty taking her just revenge. We know Todd is still taping for December, so he is alive. He will be interacting with former romantic interests. And presumably, because Marty, though armed with knowledge, still has amnesia, we can expect to see Marty "tortured" by her remaining feelings for Todd. That is not a payoff. Maybe it will be later, but right now we seem to be coming out of sweeps with "he fucked her, babies got switched, and she still wants him and doesn't remember." I hope I'm wrong, because while some of it may be good, that is dissatisfying to me.

And Todd is scorched earth now. How can you ever put him with anyone? How does he ever interact with his family again? Most of his relatives love Marty, or in the case of Blair and Starr, would be utterly repulsed by what he has done. Short of Todd pulling off a rubber mask and being revealed to be Carlo or Powell Lord after [!@#$%^&*] Marty, or Todd having some massive mental breakdown, he can never be rehabilitated again. His last recovery from a rape took 15 years. OLTL does not have another 15, and not for the same damn story.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just don't get that people are disgusted with Todd and Marty and yet embrace Luke and Laura for example. Yes, there are differences but it basically comes down to the rapists truly falling in love with their once victims and vice versa.

It's fine to be disgusted about it but it's not disgusting--it's fiction. There have been so, so, so many worse things on soaps and on television in general. If you don't like it, you can turn it off and not read about it. It's as simple as that. It's called protest--people should try it more often rather than bemoan what they don't like.

• Members

ITA! If anything, Luke and Laura are far more controversial a pairing because it wasn't like they waited a decade before putting them together romantically. The rape between Todd and Marty happened so long ago that I honestly think they may as well explore the potential coupling. I mean, obviously it wont last, but building towards the climax of this storyline seems so intriguing...the fallout could be earth shattering if written well, and I have faith that Carlivati is going to do right by this storyline.

• Members

The Todd and Marty story repulses me because it's a way to put Marty and Todd together despite the rape. I wish I could understand what is so interesting to watch a woman who was raped fall for her rapist. And yet so many people still seem to push for it....

• Members

The thing that adds insult to injury is that I was a big TnT fan and Tangeline fan. I've always been intrigued by the concept of Todd learning to get beyond the rape and grow as a person but I had to watch those relationships be torpedoed for the BTDT of TnB. So now THIS is how they finally decide to have Todd "move on?!" With one long extended date rape minus the roofies?!

It makes me want to punch Frons in the throat.

• Members

Sorry Rhinohide, that makes it worse for me, that fact that she DOES have amnesia, if she had her full mental capabilities and still wanted to have sex with him, I'd still be disgusted, but it would also be HER choice

You'll have to forgive me if I don't believe a word of this. Carlavati fans have been doing this song and dance for MONTHS and yet nothing, they also said Carlavati wouldn't go there

<_<

• Members

Oh, I"m not saying there won't be a payoff. I'm sure there will be. I'm sure Marty will go ballistic and Todd will probably take a bullet - but it doesn't change the fact that this story "went there", when it was totally unnecessary. You can get everything you need without this happening - all it will do is DESTROY Marty, already a victim three times over of rape. So if this ends with Todd dead and Marty in a strait-jacket, and the fans with a bad taste in their mouths, I'm really not sure who the winner is, no matter how dramatic the pay-off is.

• Members

I'm sorry, there's just no payoff to this story unless Todd dies a violent death and NEVER comes back alive.

I think this is one time when a soap character is beyond REEDEMABLE. Todd could join the priesthood and save cats from a burning building, and I as a viewer, will still see him as a monster beyond redemption.

I've thought the Todd character was past his prime for a while now, and now I think the show would definitely be better off WITHOUT him.

Archived