Renee E.G.: It's time to get back to OLTL!!

• Members

I don't think it's quite gone back to the 60s though--in All Her Children a number of the actors discuss how everythign changed around the early 70s--before then, they claim, you often wouldn't even list your soap work on your resume for primetime or movie roles--it was looked down upon THAT much

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL....After she left the show she did a movie with Steven Segal and although I was excited to see her in another role- I couldn't bring myself to get excited about the movie. I just can't do Steven Segal....it's personal.

When I heard about Rent going to theaters, I was more than thrilled to see it, and not just to support the actress- but she was amazing and didn't disappoint.

I've always felt TSJ understands the economy, the difficulties in getting roles, etc...why would he leave when OLTL gives him so many outs to pursue whatever he wants....Something the soap industry has always afforded to men and not women. He has side projects- There really isn't a big reason to leave unless he were offered the role of a lifetime. Women in daytime don't appear to have that luxury.

By the way, I love Audra on Private Practice....I never saw her broadway stuff, but I first remember seeing her in WIT- the HBO movie.

I really don't see much point to listing your soap work today- unless your role provided some extreme range...But I imagine they would look at it and think, "We do things differently around here." I think some of the misconceptions of soaps remain to be true more today than ever before- the bad acting, cartoon written characters, camp, etc....Perhaps a little misjudged but essentially, whenever I hear people who don't watch soaps make comments about them, I can't disagree as much as say ,"Not all the time.... not everyone... not the story lines I'm watching right now....Well, Y&R has Neil."

• Members

My prob with Private Practice is I just think it's so very piss poor--it feels beneath Audra to me ;)http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...mp;search_type= watch any of these--she's prob the best female theatre vocalist right now, period.

thanks for clearing up the Steven Segal thing--for some reason I thought you meant you were at the cinemas anyway and were at a Segal movie you disliked so sneaked into Rent instead lol.

I disagree though with your last comment--while there's sitlla huge biase against it, I think if you've worke don a soap (and not too long midn you) it definetly would be something you'd put on yoru resume and let people know about while going for a new job in TV pilot season. In the 60s--according to these actors--you wouldn't--you'd hope youw eren't even recognized. Now I think people will realize if you did a soap you at least can memorize your lines, know what camera blocking is, work quickly, etc

• Members

Oh, The days when I was young and sneaking into movies(sigh). That takes me back....I don't sneak in movies anymore. Bad karma- you either don't remember the film later, or it turns out to be awful....

Did you like the woman before her in the Private Practice pilot- she used to be on ALias? I enjoy Private Practice because it reminds me of my LA Law days. For some reason, it reminds me of everything I liked about that show- except they don't have the sexiness of Blair Underwood.

Speaking of Dirty Sexy Money- something tells me that show will be wrapping up in a final season. I could be wrong, but I think the writer's strike left some surprises for this fall, and there are a few shows that I think stand to be re-evaulated no matter how good they are:

Pushing daisies, Private Practice, Eli Stone- just to name a few.

You're right about some actors wanting to mention their soap work, but some I don't think it will make a difference. JMO.

• Members

Well I disagree--I think it still happens that actors are seen as being decent on a soap (Josh Duhamel) and that rep does them *good* not bad, if they get out in time. Jesus your cycnical today ;)

The girl from Alias was fine I thought--I did kinda wonder why they recast her, and why Audra would film a show so far from LA but... I dunno I think the show so far is everythign I like least about Grey's (which I admit I'm no big fan of). But of coruse it'll be a hit regardless.

Yeah I really liked DSMoney despite its flaws, but I'mkinda concerned for it this year (especially as the new show runner sucks lol)--though it's smart to play up the over the top-ness of it even more as they wanna do.Pushign Daisies is a show I don't think has a long shelf life anyway--and I'm very hot/cold on (they promised this year would turn it more into a Twin Peaks style soap which I'm all for, but from the premier which we got last night in Canada, I see no sign of that). But I do agree that this year will be interestign show wise cuz of the strike last year (honestly I think it might have saved DSM--whereas other shows the strike prob made perform worse than thye would've)

• Members

It's as though a dark cloud is hanging over me today- I'll talk to my therapist about that.

Bryan Fuller (The guy who writes for Pushing Daisies) tends to only write 2 years for a show...

Although I think the show is not something one should remake- I really wish someone would do an American version to BBC's Shameless- a show that makes living in the projects and getting a government check look better than going to college and living the rich life. Sometimes when there's nothing to lose you can do whatever you want.

I wish someone would find a way to bring back Big Shots- that show was good...never a dull moment- ruined by the writer strike.

• Members

I really liked Big Shots. I came to it late. Just in time to kiss it goodbye.

Bryan Fuller is responsible for my beloved Wonderfalls (killed by Fox in S1) which is exactly the type of show I'd like to see TSJ on: light, smart, quirky, something where he could shake the dust of Todd off of him and never look back.

Archived