KNOTS LANDING

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@DRW50@Faulkner@titan1978 Jordan Peele discusses Donna in this interview re: Nope briefly (she's great in it in a small role early on, and it's his best film IMO and a real throwback to a genre and specific film I won't mention though many reviews have, bc I don't want to spoil it):

Edited by Vee

• Members

I got to see Nope yesterday and Donna did have a fun little part and she looked great! Jordan Peele's movies don't feature many speaking parts, but you can tell great care is given to each actor cast so your attention is grabbed during each scene. At first I didn't understand the purpose of her scene, but as the film goes on it made perfect sense.

• Members

Life and work has gotten in the way but I promise I'll be back at it in here! Knots is just such a deep watch at this point with a lot of note-taking; I've already gotten through an episode or two since last time, but I feel obligated to write 'em up (and will probably continue to do so through most if not all of Season 5, we'll see about Season 6, but I intend to keep going as a viewer either way). Cheers all. Go see Nope with Donna Mills, it's amazing.

• Members

How would Knots Landing have fit in the mid-1990s network drama landscape? Fall 1993 Melrose Place took off, Beverly Hills 90210 was at its peak, NYPD Blue premiered, and ER was a year away. Knots Landing might have looked old school in comparison.

CBS had so much of their own daytime talent that could have worked on their primetime soaps but for whatever reason CBS's primetime soaps grabbed ABC/NBC daytime actors instead. 

• Members

Yes, I think that the advantage that Grey's has is that culturally, there hasn't been as big of a change between now and 2005.  Compare it to 1979 and 1993. Knots did well to survive the 70s into the 80s and into the 90s. I can't imagine it going much further than the season it ended though.

• Members

I imagine the only way it could've is if they'd kept a much larger and stronger younger ensemble vs. a few young players. It would've meant a substantial shift. I also very much doubt it would've survived the Les Moonves purge of female-centric sitcoms and dramas that came not long after.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Oh it definitely wouldn't have lasted past 1996 or so. It is interesting to wonder what might have been - a part  of me wishes they'd had at least one more season free of some of the dead weight like Kate and Claudia and so on, and possibly pivot (I think if Nicolette had been interested Paige could have carried her own show).

• Members

Knots was always able to go with the times and I'm sure if they had the money they could've kept the show interesting and the ratings good enough to sustain itself. I mean look at how many similar shows the network tried to launch once Knots went off the air. The cul-de-sac and Sumner Group made it easy to bring in new characters. As long as they had Karen, Mack, Gary and Greg around they would've been fine.