KNOTS LANDING

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The most sad part of season 13, is that it got really good once they retooled it and the decision to put Joan Van Ark and William Devane in a story together was an excellent idea, only for Joan to leave the damn show! I still wonder what kind of season 13 we would've had if she stayed and they developed that story. They were unexpectedly very interesting together. I just started season 8 which is the only other time they interacted. I look forward to revisiting that.

Season 7 was hard for me to watch. It's funny how each time I watch the show I find new things to love and even within an uneven season, Phoenix Rises definitely would rank in my Top Ten of episodes. This is when pretty much everybody was blackmailing Abby over her involvement in the twins kidnapping and everything was boiling over until she exploded at a party with most of the cast and revealed she knew about the babies in a way that made HER seem like the victim. Before the episode was over she was firmly on top! It was such a wild ride and Donna Mills played each scene expertly. The control the leads were allowed over their characters often helped and the way she helped Abby transcend being your typical "bitch" or villain helped make her more powerful than Alexis or JR could ever dream of being. Abby was smart and she was scrappy and you can not hold that woman down. 

• Members

What I love(d) about Abby was that she wasn't born into power, like JR, (presumably) Alexis and FALCON CREST's Angela Channing were.  Abby was born and raised in a middle-class family, so she had to fight her way into power and wealth.  Like she once told her daughter, Olivia, she was not going to spend the rest of her life clipping coupons.

• Members

Season 1

Finally, after years of reading and re-reading this forum in particular. I was able to locate episodes of Knots Landing. We all know it is a struggle to find since this show isn't streaming nor made enough impact to have the rest of the series released on DVD. The season as a whole is more episodic than serialized. So I will break down my thoughts more on the four couples below. 

Sid & Karen Fairgate : If I didn't know this show was a Dallas spin-off. I would think the show is primarily about them. It felt like at times it was Fairgate Landing

Please register in order to view this content

. Karen, initially came off as shrill to me. It seem the writers didn't know who she was as a character early on. However, when they focused on her being a loving housewife and mother there for her community something started to click. Michele Lee must have been given better direction in subtlety overtime. At times we saw her as someone who was tied down too young wanting to explore herself as being more than suburban housewife. I do like Sid though. He seemed more content with his life. Perhaps since he was older and accomplished what he wanted. You needed someone who is the Everyman. Don Murray and Michele Lee did have chemistry. And I liked Diana, Eric, and Michael. It was refreshing to see them come of age realistically . The Fairgate's came off for the most part a typical middle class suburban family. I know their dynamic is going to change next season for sure. 

PS: Who knew Karen would get one over on JR Ewing? She and Larry Hagman had a spark too. 

Gary & Valene "Val" Ewing : It felt for the most part they were given mostly B Plots. In a show that was tailored for them. It was good seeing Gary finding another way to be a successful businessman at Knots Landing Motors with Sid. Meanwhile, Val's attire seemed to display she was stuck in arrested development. Especially, those ribbon bows that Karen might of borrowed in the finale. It was clearly obviously Lucy/Charlene Tilton was not going to fit in this edition of the series. She was too mature for Diana/Eric. And she probably would've fit in with Ginger and Kenny only so much.  Maybe, in a few years when the show became full on primetime soap she could've fit in more. I liked Val getting her GED and Gary falling off the wagon. Gary and Val's second chance at marriage is not going to last. Since I already know what lies ahead.

Richard & Laura Avery : Constance McCashin was so underrated on Knots Landing as an actress. At first, Laura was just a housewife with a lawyer for a husband and mother to a little boy. Underneath it all she was a fallible woman with past indiscretions. I liked her friendship with Val. While, Karen was more of a friend you drink coffee and eat cheesecake with. Laura would give it to you straight without the BS. I liked how her father encouraged her to step up to Richard by giving him the check with strings attached. Richard, is so smarmy, but I did enjoy him as the upward mobile professional with big dreams on the low end of the totem pole. Only he would host a BBQ to hit up his neighbors for money. 

PS: John Pleshette wrote the second part of the finale. 

Kenny & Ginger Ward : Honestly, I cared more about Ginger than Kenny.  To me, Ginger was somewhat better defined as a character than her husband. We know she was a twenty-something who was ready to settle down. That possibly have a controlling mother who was forced into having an abortion as a teen. In this season Kenny's background didn't get any focus. So we just know he is a record producer who loved his job way too much and can't stay faithful. Thank God, Ginger put her foot down. Telling Kenny to go. I doubt it is going to last long into Season 2. But at least she didn't take him back so easily.

My favorite episodes of Season One are 1:04 The Lie,  1: 09 The Constant Companion and 1:11 Courageous Convictions. 

My least favorite episode is 1:07 the episode with that damn motorcycle gang attacking the cul-de-sac and the beach. It felt like the part of an episode of any series of Power Rangers when the monsters attack the public, before the Rangers come to defeat them.

Onto Season 2!!!

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Season one is as really excellent and use the self contained episodes to their maximum effect. We really got a sense who each couple was which helped propel the future seasons. In terms of Gary and Val, I liked that the first season wasn’t centered around them. We already knew them and they were the outsiders, so it made more sense to use them as our looking glass in. 

With Kenny and Ginger I can never decide what I think. I feel like they had their ups and downs but there was so much lost potential. Technically they have the first cliffhanger with Ginger finding out about Sylvie, but it didn’t give them the momentum they needed. Season 4 (which is probably my favorite season ever) was amazing for them. It was amazing for everybody, but it was nice seeing them really shine for once. 

Also, little known fact, but there was supposed to be a music centered spin-off set in Nashville for Kenny and Ginger. James Houghton refused to do it since he wanted to become a writer. Kim Langford seemed upset about that when she mentioned it in an interview. I don’t blame her. I think that would’ve been a fun show. 

• Members

Since Knots Landing was written before Dallas, my theory about Kenny and Ginger is that they were the original Val & Gary - ie young new couple who were supposed to act as our way into the cul de sac. Once of course CBS greenlit it as a Dallas spin-off David Jacobs just added Val and Gary, but didn't lift out his original newly wed couple Ginger and Kenny from the script and they sort of became mostly obsolete as a result.