Y&R: Week of September 15, 2008

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with everything here. I do not feel the consistency problem with DG is the ACTOR. I feel it is the writing. Put him in business scenes with Jill or Kay or Adam and he is GREAT (IMO). Put him in scenes with Chloe, and he seems mean (despite the fact that he is the victim). Put him in scenes with Lily, and he seems like he is the only one on the room acting...

I think if they would consistently treat the actor as an adult, in adult stories....he'd be among the most popular.

Let us also put this on the table: He has two strikes against him. He was introduced by LML..and many cannot get past that bias. Second, his story was a major retcon, costing fans their investment in the previous Phillip III...who was so central in story for so long. (And a lot of folks plain loved Thom Bierdz).

That means the writing for DG has to be EXTRA good....to compensate for these early strikes.

Finally...on Rocco...I agree. The actor wasn't particularly strong...he was fetching eye candy. But he demonstrates the utter lack of diversity on the canvas today. Jana was stripped of her "goth". There is not a character on the show (including the African Americans) who does not really reflect "proper" "waspish" "upper class" values and breeding.

This is, again, why I have some hopes for River and

and Noah going to public school. The canvas needs more socioeconomic and cultural diversity.

• Members

^^I agree, MarkH. They are writing Cane too young. I think they are doing the same thing with Amber. It makes me long for the Nina/Victoria(1.0)/Ryan/Nick/Sharon days.

You know, I think I really just miss the young group of the late 90's to early 00's. OldBilly/Raul/Brittany/Mac/JT. There was just something special about that group. It was a combination of good acting and great writing. They should be the young adult group, not what we have now. Daniel/Colleen/Lily/Devon are just blah. The only character out of that group right now with the most potential is Daniel. Colleen was on the right path but the writing for that character is just awful, right now.

• Members

NuBilly looks a little like Cane. And Jack!

And IA with you Mark about DG. I honestly think he is a better actor than the material he has been lumbered with. I also think it's kind of refreshing to have a relatively nice guy on the show. Otherwise, everybody would be bad-ass... and then we'd have the kind of problems that GH has: who is the best of a bad bunch? (answer: Scummy and his saintly hitman sidekick).

• Members

The only problem was that I hated Brittany with a PASSION. Moreover, it was not the character, but the actress, who just filled me with irritation and rage. I felt she had little talent and range (as an actress, singer, or dancer...all of which she was allowed to showcase) while she sucked up the entire show.

Thus, my lingering memories of that whole group are my rage at Brittany hogging the screen :).

• Members

I agree that Cane is in the wrong age group. He needs to be in the 30 plus set, but I find him least convincing as a businessman. When he was giving his first press conference at Jabot and then when he was looking over Adam's resume I just had to roll my eyes. I felt the same way when Nick was working at Newman's. I could see him as a bartender and even when he was in charge of the construction site, but not as an execuitive. The writing has done him no favors, but it is also the actor that is less than convincing as a businessman. He is more suited as a blue collar bloke from the outback. I liked him when he was first with Amber. Not that he has to be with Amber but I liked his character. I can actually see him being a bit of a bad guy though. He has been shown to have a nasty side at times and he has issues with women.

Daniel Goddard is likeable but he just is not in the same league as many of the top actors. That's not a slam on him, but he happens to work on a show with strong actors. I don't think he has sufferred all that much because he was a LML hire. I think he is an adequate actor. Some days, he is very convincing yet he can have other days where he just isn't very good.

I agree with you about the buildup of the younger set. With Ashley coming back to town, I think we will also see a SORASED Abby and maybe Nate will be SORASED with Olivia coming back which would give us a nice teen set all with core family connections. Looks like Lauren will be hiring some new teens to work at the boutique.

• Members

They don't need anymore people in the twenties group. They do need some teens. This happens all the time in soaps. I mean Phyllis has a child with Nick who was only a teen when she was married to Danny and had a child herself. Nick himslef was born in 1989 while Daniel and Lily were born just a few years later and Noah was born in 1997 just eight years after Nick was born.

Archived