DAYS: Deidre Hall at DNC in Denver

• Members

If celebrities speak out, I have much more respect for the ones who have researched the candidate and their issues and are still adamant in their stance. Those who, even if I disagree with their views, are educated on the matter. The people who just keep going on about change and have nothing more to back it up, please be more specific. This absolutely goes for both parties and their supporters. Otherwise they have no credibility with me whatsoever. No, I'm not going to vote for a candidate because some minor celebrities have his face plastered across their arse. That's silly.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, people in general say what they will to support their candidate. Nothing worth getting that bothered by IMO.

But I also agree with whoever said they are annoyed when celebrities simply support a candidate without doing research. I too find that aggravating. But I also find it aggravating that many "average" people also just vote for the candidate of their party or whatever, without doing any research or really looking at the issues. So rather than be annoyed at just certain celebrities, I get annoyed at anyone and everyone who votes and stumps for candidates without valid reasoning.

• Members

But that's the beauty of the process. People with no more knowledge that you or I are always telling us how they think we should vote. They do it with lawn signs, bumper stickers, t-shirts, phones calls and door to door canvass. It's up to us to assign it the appropriate value. That's why I don't mind the Dee Halls, Dixie Chicks and Chuck Norrises of the world, its the people who don't bother to get involved at all that I have trouble with.

And as an Obama supporter, my first thought at that Daytime for Obama stuff was "You guys couldn't just write a freakin check?!"

• Members

Full disclosure first of all that I am supporting McCain. But if I were an Obama backer and all these celebrities were too, and the guy turned out to be a rotten president if he won -- that's the risk you take.

Ya, my choice of what I watch on TV or movies isn't shaped by an actor's views on a candidate, but sometimes I wish they'd just shut their yap. I loved Christel Khalil's comments in the SOD ("everyone I know wants a Democrat in the White House). Christel, not EVERYONE does. :)

• Members

I really don't care if a celebrity is touting the Republicans, Democrats, Independent, Greens, Libertarians, or Communists. I resent the celebrities, first of all, telling me for whom to vote (even veiled). I furthermore resent the implication that, since they are famous, they are in the know about politics. They have as much right as anyone to support someone, but their celebrity should NOT buy them "expertise". Frankly, I see a lot of them as riding on the bandwagon for publicity. Between all this, the negative ads, and those damn annoying recorded phone calls, the whole system has been cheapened, as far as I'm concerned. :angry:

• Members

You know they really don't give their fans credit. It's insulting. For instance Blake Berris said in an interview that he hoped that if someone likes his acting and his character that perhaps they might consider voting for Obama because he's voting for Obama. Those weren't his exact words, but it's clearly what he was implying. Sort of the same with Deidre Hall calling out to "Days" fans. They must consider their fans a bunch of ignorant morons to think that would be the basis of choosing their candidate.

• Members

Because someone who has been interested in politics since before she started in the business, been asked to be a part of two campaigns (and was) and is actively involved in it, is the same as a guy saying maybe someone might vote for Obama if they like his character. That's just... so totally the same thing :rolleyes: .

I love it when people are educated about what they're endorsing, they've researched and taken a stand about it based on knowledge and not riding the wave. By that point, I don't care if they're celebrities or not because they're just like me and you, they just happen to be noticed by the press when they walk into the room at the Democratic National Convention.

DH has always been very involved in politics, and it's never so much about "vote for this guy" and she says "Use your vote to make a choice for yourself".

• Members

sungrey, I thought I was the only one who caught that ridiculous comment by Christel Khalil in SOD. "I don't know anyone who is not suppoeting Obama. Everyone I know wants a Democrat in the White House". Since the polls are pretty much neck and neck, maybe Ms. Khalil sould get out more and expand her circle of friends.

• Members

A celebrity endorcing a presidential candidate is the same as seeing an Olympic athlete on the cover of Wheaties or watching Alison Sweeney in a commercial saying a bunch of lousy diet pills is what helped her lose her extra weight. Whether the celebrity is being paid or they're using their celebrity status to endorse their choice of president, it's all the same. And I'm not going to resent Ali for agreeing (and getting paid) to say some diet pill helped her lose weight.

• Members

Exactly. She didn't tell anyone to vote for Obama because she does, or even to vote for Obama. She just said get out there and vote. Which is so true, and it is a shame during any election in any country that so many don't use their vote to make a change happen. IMO that gives them no right to complain either.

Archived