OLTL News: The camp continues.........

• Members

From Soap Opera Digest Online:

Ty Treadway returns to ONE LIFE TO LIVE as Colin MacIver (who died by the way) to host a game show called "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN BE SHANE MORASCO'S FATHER".

"The dream sequence, which airs Oct 1-2, focuses on Rex and his not-so-good life as he is on the operating table being treated for a gun wound. The sequences were filmed on ABC's WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE set."

Ugh.....why do I have the deep feeling, this isn't going to be good at all. What is RC's problem, where the hell is the social storylines that made OLTL. Where are the real storys, that have emotion and depth..not this campfest OLTL has turned into. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE camp (Passions super-fan here) but camp has a time and a place on OLTL, and ITS HAD ITS TIME AND PLACE for the past 3 months.

Get back to the real storylines RC.

P.S: I want Ty back for "real reals, not for play play" (Im sure no one gets this reference lol).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can just see Frons saying, "We need to get the Passions demo!", and Valentini and Carlivati nodding in agreement. They'll learn soon when that fickle demographic decreases when kids go back to school and abandons them for good in a few years.

OK, I understand the need to try to grab that demo during the summer by trying some campy stuff, but they should cool in on that front for a while. Sadly, I expect more campy ridiculousness to follow.

OLTL is so much better and interesting when it takes itself seriously.

• Members

What they don't understand is there's plenty of room for comedy amidst any drama. I always think back to the pilot episode of Six Feet Under, when the family converges in the hospital to identify Nathaniel Fisher's body... and Claire coincidentally tried crystal meth with her friends for the first time, right before getting the call that her father was dead. You didn't know whether to laugh at her bug eyes, or sympathize with her, or hate her, or cry with her. But it was just so REAL... that in the most tragic of moments, comedy can be found, and in the funniest of moments, one can shed a tear. I have nothing against camp OR comedy. But make it real. Make us love these characters because of it. Make it honest. I think about all the silly Billie/Kristen/Jennifer nights on Days, dancing to Motown with glasses of wine in hand in Jen's living room... only to be brought crashing down to Earth by some drama in their love lives. Or scarred Barbara on ATWT, where one minute she was scribbling nothing but jagged black shades on all of her clothing designs and you'd laugh, and the next minute she'd shoot a veiled threat at Rose or hide from Jennifer (the awful Kim Onasch, but that's neither here nor there), and you would be scared, or feel genuinely sorry for Barbara's kids.

There's incorporating comedy and camp, and then there's just taking the ball and running with it clear off the field. We want a little camp and comedy in our soaps because we all like a little camp and comedy in our real lives. But nobody wants to see that every day. Especially not from such an historically socially relevant show like OLTL.

*climbs down off his soapbox now*

ETA: Ron himself even pulled it off well at the board meeting... moving from Dorian (alongside Dorian's hat) getting all Alexis Carrington on the Buchanans... and then turning around and having Nash die all in the same episode. Then Dorian, the Queen of Camp, going home and trying to convince herself she wasn't at fault. It walked a fine line, but absolutely never fell off the fence (sorry for the mixed metaphor)

• Members

It's only been campy for a month or so. People commenting in this thread act as though it's been campy for EVER and they do ridiculous stories all the time. I think it's cool to keep things light sometimes and try to be creative with the material; we've triangles galore, whodunnits, whosethedaddy, and long lost children. Mixing it up isn't as bad as being dull as dish water-- like Y&R (IMHO).

Archived