OLTL News: The camp continues.........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe two months- a summer, whatever. I have no idea about Days of Our Lives (I only recently watched any of that show). So comparing it to various other head writers and/or soaps that by definition were campy, does nothing for me since I've only watched the ABC shows (and there was a nearly 15-20yr gap btwn my devoted viewings of those shows.

• Members

I don't see why Camp = Bad. Camp can be quite well written and clever, not that I say OLTL is well written or clever. But I don't think it is particularly campy either. Campy is when something is so absurdly serious yet silly that it becomes comedy. Batman was camp on TV. OLTL seems to go out of its way to be silly and intentionally goofy with the actors acting as if they know they are in a comedy. That's not camp. Passions was camp with the way they never treated the material like it was a joke. If someone was discussing the effects of being kissed by a mermaid, they meant it. On OLTL when they parade around in costumes and and that Del Fina person camps it up, it stops being true camp.

• Members

When a show has a man "mind raping" (not a term I coined, and I don't know what to call it honestly) a woman, having a teen pregnancy unfold, and a woman mental psyche shatter due to the death of her husband, the show can use all the camp it can get.

It's not like RC didn't warn us about this, in an interview he mentioned that his vision of OLTL is like "Ugly Betty" with a mix of drama and comedy.

I'm still waiting for a special episode where the residents of Llanview switch personalities with each other...ooops that's already happened.

It doesn't seem that big of deal to me.

• Members

I am not enjoying in the fact that OLTL is sinking faaast in terms of quality, I'm enjoying in the fact that you were all so wrong when it comes to Carlivati! All that praise, I laugh every time I recall all those delirious floods of positive comments and all. :lol:

To each his own? :huh: What?

• Members

Explain to me, please, exactly what you mean by this because I don't get it. No writer is invincible and is able to write great stories all the time (even the best had their duds), and I strongly don't believe that anyone here had some kind of thought that Carlivati could *never* make mistakes in his work. Were people wrong to praise him when they enjoyed his work? No! They liked it, so they said that they liked it. Just because he's putting out [!@#$%^&*] now doesn't mean it's time to dissect the past to find everything that was wrong with it.

WHY is there such a black and white mentality when it comes to writers and their work?! Can't a good writer also write stupid stories? Can't a bad writer get it right at least once?

• Members

Is that you, All My Shadows? :huh: Nooo, no, no... I won't get into another discussion with you no matter what. If I wanted total disrespect and total, intentional misinterpretation of what has been said, then I would. I don't want that kind of radioactive toxicity around me. I had one "discussion" with you and I don't need another one. You don't like my post — I don't like your attitude. There. Settled.

• Members

Well, have the discussion with me instead Sylph. ;), because I would like to know the same thing. We werent wrong about Carlivati! I dont even understand that comment. He was writing good stuff, and I still believe he is a good writer. To write off every soap writer when something comes out bad, after they have had a reputation of being a decent writer is not only premature but its dumb. If that is the case, every writer should take their ball and go home, because there is not one writer, who hasn't ever wrote crap to somebody. I like Ron Carlivati. Are some things he is writing a little shaky to me? Yes, but I sure as hell was not wrong about liking him and those were your words, and not mine.

<Now accepting applications for "Jay's Team"> :lol:

Archived