JER TO ABC/OLTL?

• Members

Let's see why, Reilly left somewhere in 1992, and GL continued to get better and better until Curlee left in early 1994. When Demorest was writing by himself, the show had a huge dip in quality, it was still good, but not as good as it was.

Overall, when Reilly left GL, the show did not suffer, when Curlee did, the show did suffer.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just biased towards that era of GL. :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As Y&RWorldTurner pointed out, GL didn't suffer when Reilly left but went downhill when Curlee did. To me, that's case closed. Reilly was a relatively minor factor in GL's early '90's greatness and the show didn't drop in quality when he left. The fact that he's sucked everywhere ever since just clinches it.

Having huge numbers and making alot of money isn't necessarily indicative of quality. In the case of Reilly's DOOL, I think the opposite was the case. His Days was so mindbogglingly horrible and senseless that alot of people couldn't take their eyes off the trainwreck. It's unabashed, unashamed craptasticness was almost hypnotic. Same for Passions. It was so bad some people couldn't get enough. With Days, Reilly began the slow, agonizing death of soaps by filling DOOL with worthless dreck and when it actually garnered good ratings and young demos, every other show became obsessed with trying to match or top the insanity he created. But it only worked for a very short time because the 12-29 year olds that he and his imitators attracted had short attention spans and when all the demons were exorcised, vampires slayed, and clones destroyed, the only people left watching were the honest to goodness soap fans who'd been there all along who couldn't believe that their shows had sunk to such pathetic depths just to get some attention. Overall, Reilly has been a huge detriment to the longterm viability of the entire genre.

Frankly, if Reilly wrote Days so poorly on purpose just to get back at Corday, that's a hell of a lot worse than just flat out sucking. If that's the case, he should never work again. Those kinds of selfish, infantile ego trips from the producers, writers, actors, and "journalists" are the very things killing soaps. Get over yourself and do your freaking job!

If that's true, then Days is damn lucky.

If he ever gets hired in daytime again it'll be by somebody who is desperate to get a show cancelled ASAP.

Days was hardly in the "stratosphere". Even in the thick of Reilly's signature "Marlena's possessed" schlock-fest that packed in the curious kiddies, they couldn't beat Y&R. They certainly weren't racking up numbers like early '80's GH, which began the trend of campy crap action to suck in the young audience to the detriment of the show's core.

If Reilly really is a multi-multi millionaire, then he can afford to keep his talentless butt out of daytime. If he needs to work, I'm sure he can pen some teleplays about demon-possessed squid or alien angels for the Sci-fi channel but the soap world is better off without him.

• Administrator

Actually, it worked for 5 straight years - it wasn't just "for a very short time".

1992-1993: 8th place

1993-1994: 6th place

1994-1995: 6th place

1995-1996: 2nd place

1996-1997: 2nd place

1997-1998: 2nd place

And that's just HHs. Reilly took DAYS to #1 in 18-49 and I'm assuming 18-34 and teen demos too, thus making a ton of money for Corday, Sony and NBC, and he was rightfully given his own soap opera.

Just don't be surprised if Jim Reilly is back writing for daytime. ;)

• Members

Its not event hat they did a time travel storyline. Its how campy and OTT it is, along with how long it has lasted, and how its suposed to be a real storyline and not a fantasy type thing. Gigi trying to struck by lighting to go backin time? rex using his cellphone back in the 60's? etc... its too much. and too over the top. and its gone on far too long!

however whats said is that mendora storyline is ten times more campy and over the top than the time travel storyline.

Archived