JER TO ABC/OLTL?

• Members

I agree. However he wasnt awful either. For a bit there he has great storylines and would soap them to the extreme and get press, get people talking. But his stories for soem time did always build build vuild, hit, and then push new storytelling. Not a lot was random and out of nowhere.

However it was obvious he was either a mad man starting to lsoe control or got to full of himself.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back in the mid '90s (shortly after the possession storyline ended), I had a strong impression of Days as being something horrible, ridiculous, terrible, painful to watch. It brought me physical agony to watch it, and I'd yell at my sister for watching it. "Why do you keep watching this?!?! GOD!!!" Then, by '97, I was fully engrossed with Susan's flying teeth... go fig... I'll always remember it as being golden in the early '90s, though, and although it wasn't perfect then either, it was like pure spring water vs. JERk's sewer sludge (sorry, Toups, can't mince words)... now, it's not so much poo-water as it is Diet Pepsi, but that's another thread altogether...

• Members

I will echo the previous posters that said JER was good in the early and mid 1990s. He did a good job writing GL with Stephen Demorest and Nancy Curlee (come back Nancy! We miss you!!) and his first Days stint had a lot of good moments in it (Carrie/Sami/Austin -- GREAT triangle back then!) like Maison Blanche, the Aremid story, and John's near execution.

The possession story was one you either loved or hated. I thought it was decent, but it didn't belong on Days. Where was Dark Shadows at the time? It would have worked well on Passions if Passions had been on at the time.

As decent as his first stint was, the second stint was awful. I won't go into "were the dead supposed to stay dead" or anything because we've hashed it out on here repeatedly, but had all of the Days characters stayed dead the show would have been a shell of its old self. Instead we got a horrible island story, a story involving Wayne Northrop's return that was one-note from the get-go, and a Shawn/Mimi pairing? (I only say the last part because it was obvious from the get-go Claire was going to be Belle and Shawn's, and that would have ruined it for everyone. Turns out for the Shimi supporters, it did.)

By the time JER's second go-round ended, it was painfully obvious a replacement was needed. He will show up on another show eventually as a consultant or a writer and who knows? He may be good again at what he does. Personally, I hope he never, ever darkens the door of Days again. That's just me, though. :)

Archived