JER TO ABC/OLTL?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm halfway between you and Toups. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I often think of JER as the "Kevin Williamson" of daytime.

For those who don't know, Williamson originally was known for writing the first "Scream" movie (a mighty brilliant screenplay on MANY levels, IMHO)

He then created Dawson's Creek. A successful show in its own right, but certainly not innovative.

He then went on to do... minor projects that got little to no recognition.

I'm not putting Reilly OR Williamson down. They both had their day in the sun... they're just one trick ponies that showed, placed, and won in their time. I feel that way about Tarentino as well. In all honesty, as good as some of his later projects might have been, they're all just variations on a theme (that theme being "Pulp Fiction")

It doesn't mean they're hacks. Not at all. They just peaked really early, and everything since has been a pale imitation.

When I look back on Reilly's contribution to Days (and I'm talking JUST Days, not all of daytime... I'll never believe Reilly wrote anything thinking "I'm going to change daytime forever (evil laugh)), I see a lot of positive. As much as I bitched at the time, the Exorcist story, while nowhere near original, was the only saving grace of the Summer of OJ. The Kristen/Susan story, while it was a blatant rip-off of Nadine/Bridget on GL (when JER was writing) was still pretty amazing when all was said and done. (Mainly because of Eileen Davidson's performance... and let's face it, had Marlena Evans EVER had a female rival, besides Sam for a millisecond and Stella Lombard for not much more? And no, I don't count St. Isabella)

And I feel like everything since has been JER trying to hold on to the fact that HE AND HE ALONE got daytime noticed in spite of the pre-emptions that summer of the murder trial. I don't think he expected that, and I don't think he wants to live up to it. But the way it played out, that's what happened. For better or worse.

Archived