The B&B Production Revolution

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Considering B&B gets to use L.A. and sunny California as their reality (which means they can step right outside their doors and shoot, unlike GL and ATWT for the most part, unless those characters run off to NYC for the millionth time) you'd think it would be easier for them. For some reason, "outdoor LA" looks fakey to me. Aside from the beach, which I missed, what I've seen doesn't really look all that good. And it's not shot well. Half the time the actors are in shadows or squinting. And the new music...ugh. I cringe every time that stupid song underscores a Katie/Nick scene.

• Members

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I'm enjoying B&B a lot lately. I actually like the writing and am enjoying most of everything.

And yes, the production model is still a work in progress, but I think it's miles better than GL and a lot more reminiscent of a UK soap. The analogy of growing out your hair and having that 'looks odd' phase is a perfect one. The model isn't finished and needs a bit of finessing, but I like it.

• Members

I think the show should be able to survive without her, but it isn't helping at the moment. She can't be kept on the payroll and then be excluded from storylines that she should be a part of, regardless of whose choice it is. She's either there or she isn't. Stephanie Forrester is not a supporting character and never could be. It goes against everything she's been written as for the past 21 years.

• Members

B&B needs a serious refocusing, and I don't think Bradley or any of the Y&R cast-offs are the right people to do the job. The show has always been inconsistent, it would be nice to have some consistency, you know?

Oh, and I agree, this is probably the worst state I've ever seen B&B in, and there's been so many horrible eras with this show. I feel like there's a mandate to change the show's identity and it's showing, and obviously isn't for the better.

• Members

Maybe because it's so much of a rehash of the Brooke/Nick/Bridget triangle, and the Brooke/Nick/Taylor triangle as well. Once again, you have the whole "Nick is in love with two women and marries one, but longs for the other" scenario, and when you add the fact that Bridget is again the doormat, you have a story that's bad and recycled. Add to that the way it was rushed onto the scene via Storm's death and Katie's heart transplant and the horrible dialog - "this baby is amazing, because it was born in the purest, most honest form of love" - and it becomes even worse.

• Members

And that's painfully apparent in the current story, where it doesn't make sense for her to be a supporting character or MIA. Having Stephanie missing while Eric is in a heart-attack induced coma without some kind of explanation is just absurd. Look at last week, where Ridge called the big family meeting and included everybody. Yet Stephanie was missing, with the lame excuse being that she wasn't answering her cell phone. Even if that was the case, there should have been some follow-up to let her know how dire Eric's condition and for her to learn what Ridge almost did. Instead, we get to see Donna and Owen dancing.

• Members

That might be because "outdoor L.A.", other than the beach scenes that you missed, is an outdoor set at CBS Television City and not really on location. They have a feature on the new Forrester Sky Lounge set in the new SOD and they mention that almost all the outdoor stuff is filmed there, and that the cabana scenes from last week and the outdoor restaurant where Brooke and Ridge dined a while back are actually the sky lounge redressed. Outdoor scenes seemed a lot better when they really went outside the studio, like the beach scenes, or the scenes a couple of years ago when Bridget and Nick spent a fun afternoon at The Grove (the shopping center/mall behind CBS Television Studio).

Archived