Famous Fans of Soap Operas

• Members

Which ones do you know about?

I've heard that Aaron Sorkin is (or at least used to be) a fan of ATWT.

I'm also referring to head writers (current or former) who are fans of soap operas they're not currently working on. Like - Hogan Sheffer is a fan of AMC. That sort of thing.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apparently, Snoop Dogg loves OLTL because his "mama always had it on in the crib back in the day."

From what I've read, many, many basketball stars are hardcore soap opera fans and will watch together.

Carol Burnett is a big AMC fan and has appeared on the show several times (most recently, in 2005). Stephen King is/was a big fan, as was the English novelist P.G. Wodehouse. It's been said that Wodehouse hated television but loved AMC.

Johnny Depp grew up on "Dark Shadows" and plans to ruin....I mean "remake"....it.

Ice T once said that many early rappers were soap fans as well.

Also, Patricia Heaton was a fan of Y&R in college and she and her friends would schedule their classes around it. And that's why she was a MUCH better choice to present soaps at CBS's 75th anniversary special than...I don't know...the legendary CBS soap stars who were also in attendance. (still bitter about that!)

• Members

Bette Davis was supposedly a Y&R fan and even wrote Lauralee Bell telling her how wonderful her acting was. Has anyone ever heard this story? Is it a soap urban myth? If it's true, talk about senility!

Judy Garland was also a huge AW fan. She once spotted Constance Ford in the audience for one of her shows, and she screamed out "ADA!"

Football player Boomer Esiason was a big AMC fan, and even made a cameo in the late 80s.

Archived