The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Robert Mandan did another week on TD as the focus character at the end of September 1963. Sometime that same year (before? after the first TD appearance? the second appearances?) he played “Nathan Axelrod” on “The Edge Of Night.” He was cast as heroine Jo’s love interest, “Sam Reynolds” on “Search For Tomorrow” in 1966 and stayed until his character’s death (poor Jo!) in 1970.

• Members

Are you watching on the RetroTV app/website? I’m out of the loop on how to access episodes. I want to see the series of 1963 episodes titled “How Are Things at Home?” which feature one of my former teachers.

• Members

I think I still have a subscription to the website, at least I think they're still charging me for one. It was frustrating trying to navigate it from day one, so I never bothered trying to get into it via the site, but I was fine with continuing to pay for it just to show support. I'm ready to go looking for those early episodes, though.

A new story every day - 250 or a year...did they ever really think that they could sustain that? Thankfully they ended up going full-on soap, but if not, it might've been interesting to see it as a weekly Saturday afternoon anthology (along the lines of something like Death Valley Days or INSIGHT) or even the week-long stories done alongside the regular TV season with summer reruns so that they only had to do 25-30 stories a year. I'm super curious as to how many stories they'd had planned out as they worked their way through those early months.

• Members
"Why did we switch to a five episode format?" echoed Jerry Layton when I finally caught up with him in the carpeted viewing room where he was glued to a TV screen watching the dress rehearsal via closed circuit.
"Well, we realized this 'Eight Hours ' for Emily' was too good to condense, then other stories of the same value came along and we changed our pace." He sounded like a happy man as he went on, "Now we can get below the surface of the characters and into their motivation in the five-day treatment. Important to us, too, is that now we can develop secondary and tertiary relationships among the regular characters in the back ground running story."

That might be a bit of PR spin as the ratings had not been good and as stated, a brand new story everyday would be a huge undertaking.The switch to 5 episode stories came about in August 63 and continued until the show become a fully fledged serial in March 64.

• Members

Honestly, the more I read about early daytime television (and early television in general) I don't get the feeling they thought much about the long-term, but were just happy they were able to get an episode on air each afternoon. I'm sure the reason they switched formats was because they eventually just realised how hard it was to write a new story each day - while it might seem obvious to us now, I don't think they thought that far ahead. As long as the show got on air they were fine.

• Members

Is anyone else having trouble with The Doctors website?  I hadn't been for quite a while but when I go to https://watchthedoctors.com/home, I get a message saying it's not a safe site.  I've attached a picture below.  This site used to work so that I could see subscription options and episodes available.  Has something changed?  I am getting an Amazon Fire Stick this weekend.   I hope it will be available there but I will still need to be able to subscribe.

Thanks!

Please register in order to view this content