The Doctors

• Members

Yes, Gracie Harrison took over the role of Greta in spring 1980 when Jennifer Houlton left for college. I actually wrote to Gracie and she said it was a conscious decision on the show's part to age up Greta a few years.

I guess they changed their minds, because Gracie was let go in 1981 and Greta was recast with Lori-Nan Engler, who was 19 at the time. Both are now essentially retired from show biz, though Lori-Nan has done some community theater in her hometown of Philadelphia.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Me neither, and I’ve been saying for years, this would be an excellent opportunity for college interns majoring in television production and the like. They could be receiving credit for all of the man hours that go into this process.

• Members

I have to be honest: I’m shocked. I can’t imagine that the ratings for the second cycle of the early shows on Retro are that different than the first cycle. And I thought they’d just continue to monetize the shows that have already been digitized. This goes beyond just a business decision, I suspect. Some with budget - whether its at Retro or at SFM - really loves these old shows.

• Members

I'm pretty sure it is RetroTV, and not SFM, that is digitizing the episodes.  I find that odd, because when Retro finally stops airing the show, SFM won't own the digitized copies.  So any other station that decides to air (or stream) The Doctors in the future will need to digitize all the episodes all over again.  Strange decision, I think.

And regarding ratings, apparently RetroTV doesn't really care about ratings.  Retro doesn't participate in the Nielsen Ratings system, and they don't measure their ratings in any way.  So they do not set their advertising rates based on ratings.  I do not know what they use to set their ad rates -- but I'd speculate, whatever the market will pay.  Retro seems to be desperate to find enough cheap old shows to fill their broadcast schedule, and they will take almost anything -- regardless whether the shows influence ratings.  I do believe Retro has gained a lot of publicity from airing The Doctors, both online chatter and in the soap press.  So Retro might actually value that publicity more than they value actual ratings (which they don't even measure).   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I recall Retro saying that the Doctors had lots of interest and views so they opted to do the whole series.  It's probably why they wanted EON.

I wonder if they're aiming for other soaps?  Capital would be fun..and only 5 years to digitalized vs 19+ years of the Doctors.

• Members

It's available through itsrealgoodtv.com. It's part of their premium content and a subscription costs about $30 annually. Everything they've digitized so far is on there. They also have an app on several streaming devices. I watch TD through the app on my Roku. I'm up to mid-1972 at the moment.