Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

I hope they won't kill off Jake. The Deans need to have at least one child who might return at some point, and before Kirkwood had him turn into a nightmarish psycho, Jake was a pretty decent character.

He has a nice butt as well.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Samantha Giles is coming back in July, I guess for just a few episodes. They call her "fabulously manipulative," but I don't remember Val really being that way. I liked her more when she became more of a mother figure. It's odd that they say she went on maternity leave last year. She actually left sometime in September or October 2008. She hasn't been back in almost two years. I don't know if she was ever even supposed to come back if the family wasn't being written out.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a233269/giles-thrilled-to-be-back-on-oaks-set.html

• Members

Seeing as we are entering the final week of stories (seemingly) written by Lucy Allan, I thought it only fitting that we start to mention and recall the memorable stories, those plots and characters that really made you glad you invested your time, energy and emotions in Hollyoaks following on from the mostly successful period under Bryan Kirkwood........

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

....... Anything? :unsure:

Edited by UK LAW

• Administrator

There was going to be an alien story? :unsure:

LOL UKLAW.....as for something memorable from the Lucy Allen era, the only thing that comes to mind is Warren's death (the mirror falling on top of him in the fire). Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

• Members

Ah, Toups, the mirror falling on Warren was actually the last Bryan Kirkwood credited episode (I believe). The episode that followed was the first episode Lucy Allan was credited with.

IIRC, Kirkwood had said in an interview that as long as he was in charge of Hollyoaks, Warren wouldn't pay for his crimes or die, as Warren was a character he had invested so much in. When Kirkwood, and then later Jamie Lomas, decided to leave, it was decided that Warren would leave with Kirkwood's end on the show.

I was willing to give Lucy Allan a chance, seeing as she worked so closely with Kirkwood, and helped put the 3 years together. But then concern started to

abound when reading her first interview (which I believe was Producer's Season 2009). The best way to

describe it is that there was a certain coldness and distance that came from the interview and the promise that the younger characters would be the focus.

The following few months, particularly with the promising but ultimately dull baby-selling storyline amongst others actually saw me withdraw from the show. An inspiration for my own writing it was not...

I've gone off on one again. Pardom me....

• Members

I was hoping Allan might have some potential, because by the time she took over I thought the show had been, creatively, bombed out. Kirkwood had kept the ratings up and I guess they were still doing well after Tina's death but the show was pretty much empty. Unfortunately, Allan just seemed to take this as an opportunity to bring in teens and more teens and make everything stupid. There were also stories which were handled very questionably -- what they did with Anita is especially unsettling, as they seemed to just throw a lot of serious problems at her (racial self-loathing; learning she was adopted) only as an excuse to turn her into a scheming shrew. There also seemed to be a lot of random couplings which I still don't quite understand, like Ste/Teresa.

What bothered me the most in that interview at the time was her outright dismissive attitude towards the older characters, who had been one of the better points of the Kirkwood years and who were played by some very fine actors. It sounds like Marquess is going to continue to not do a lot with the older actors, but they are in such a diminished state now, thanks to Allan's tenure, that it doesn't really matter. Thanks to her tenure the show lost superb actors like Tony Hirst, and while I know he might have gone anyway under Marquess, I still miss him.

I also hated the whole Ricky and Duncan are the new Max and OB. NO THEY ARE NOT. Max and OB were able to do silly things because the characters had so much heart and the actors were very talented. You can't just have these two pathetic clowns who can't act and then throw some random Dickens-esque sadface story at them and pass that off as being the new Max and OB.

• Members

So all of last week was pretty much a huge bore. I watch Monday's episode, with the McQueens, and I'm thoroughly entertained. They truly make this show.

Um Carl, LOOK what you did. Giving me false hope that Rae was gone ... though this could have been her last episode ... Hmm? Weirdly, I actually kind of liked her today.

Tony was such an ass today, but thank God that terrible pairing is over and done with. Wonder what they got planned for Cindy now? Nice to see her move in with Darren.

• Members

I think I read that

There's an episode coming up where

I kind of like Rae too, sometimes. I still think she's on her way out, as she said to Anita that she's going to have to live with her grandmother, but who knows. Is it me or did Darren actually look pretty good with the makeup on? I'm glad he didn't seem all that bothered.

I thought they did a much better job with the "OMG RACISTS!" angle with Des and his sister than they did when Des just started randomly telling Zak about the evils of non-whites. I'm glad they remembered Tina (I'm surprised they were able to show a photo of her -- perhaps in the UK you don't have to pay to do that).

• Members

Some behind the scenes pics of the new opening. Looks like they're including many of the adult characters like Frankie and Myra in the opening now.

It's in green screen again, so you won't get an accurate depiction of the opening from these pics.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a235332/behind-the-scenes-at-the-new-oaks-titles.html