June 23-27, 2008

Toups

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very moving...and the montage is a terrific idea. It should be a loooooooooooooooooong montage.

Lyrics by the Eagles seem to be these, right?

Like a well planned funeral, it can be beautiful and not just sad.

• Members

Not just to single this out or anyone elses but to do alone with the quality / ratings thing.

Quality and ratings are 2 totally different things. They have nothing really to do with one another.

ATWT was #1 for 20 years and they were not at the top of their quality for the whole 20 years. When Irna Phillips returned in the early 70's the quality of writing was really bad. Ms. Phillips had really lost her magic.

A World Apart in 1970 was a lot better quality show than All My Children was, but AMC had a little better ratings and stuff and survived while A World Apart didn't.

Love of Life was one of the best quality programs around 1972 to 1975 but it never got good ratings. Labine & Mayer were on fire with the show. They had been the same way with Where the Heart Is before that, but the show still didn't get good ratings.

In primetime, just look at Hill Street Blues which is one of the most critically acclaimed shows ever in the history of TV but it got bad ratings the whole time it was on.

People bring the quality argument into ratings all the time but they don't anything to do with one another. Many times even the best quality doesn't draw a lot of viewers.

Quality helps to draw viewers but there a lot of other things that play into it too. Lead ins, time slots, competition, etc. all have just as much to do with it as anything.

• Members

It's cute the way you say that as though I'd care.

It's still above all the shows you mentioned. And it's still better than all of them. To be honest, I wouldn't care if the show had a 1.9. It's still well-written and a good soap opera. The ratings are not of issue to me. I am not playing Fantasy Executive. I'm a viewer.

• Members

Right. :) More specifically, the song is "I Wish You Peace," from the Eagles' album, One of These Nights (1975).

As sad as I was to see ANOTHER WORLD end, I still remember the final episode fondly, because everything was allowed to conclude on a graceful note. At the very least, I could walk away believing everyone I loved in Bay City would be "okay." I want the same for GL.

One idea I've had for the GL finale, aside from that montage, was the implosion of the fabled lighthouse (to clear the area for a new development). It would mirror the ending of the show, as well as provide the right opportunity (IMO) to bring back some longtime faves, as there could be a gala of some sort to mark the occasion.

• Members

Nice to have you back Steve. You are a breath of fresh air. ;)

I was never a hill street blues fan. I tried the show and found it bad. I guess I was the majority on that one.

How about Dallas?? Was that a quality show in your opinion?? Because it was a blockbuster hit in the ratings. I will say the show was real written until part of 85 Season with Jeanna and her trial. Then 86 came and the show lost all credibility.

I get what you are saying. I do. At times during Marlands run at ATWT I thought the ratings should be higher. The show would rank only #5 amoung the shows. But back then AMC, GH and OLTL were real powerhouse shows. And there were more soaps on the air. So the ranking of 5 wasnt that bad. And I thought ATWT quality was great at that time.

I probably am not making any sense..oh well....

Khan, what about that Ape or Gorilla?? That was so bad...LOL....and of course Goutman and Pissant came up with that. :rolleyes:

• Members

As much as I've loved (and watched) GL for almost 30 years - it's time. CBS, please don't renew this ghost of what was once a great show. It's not one-tenth of what it used to be, as indicated by both the ratings and viewer opinions. With that said, CBS - please - let this show go out in a blaze of glory - it deserves that much.

• Members

I felt I had to respond to this as a mid-thirties viewer. This is just my own opinion so take it for what you will. I would come back to soaps in a minute if they were as well written and plotted as they were in the eighties and nineties. I don't spend most of my free time on the Food Network but actually on youtube watching old soap clips. I'll come back to soaps when I recogonize the characters on them. Especially Tad, Kendall and Erica. For the moment I stay away to keep my blood pressure at a safe level. And for that I blame the suits in charge interferring. Which I keep reading is not going to change. Which means I am probably going to end up staying away. I don't want soaps to be cancelled but I do want them to be entertaining and enjoyable and for me they have been that way for awhile.

Sorry I had another paragraph rant to go but somehow I lost it and I am to tired to think of it again. Suffice it to say - loyality is a two-way street. The fans show it and the networks give us reasons to continue to do so. I haven't seen any evidence of that for a long time now though. As far as I can see they are just telling us this is what we need to see. Sorry Frons and Disney I do not require any training on how to be a true soap fan. I've been one since I was eight. You guys are losing me though. And judging by the numbers many, many, more

Archived