Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

Interesting read.

I remember SOD announced Taggert and Guza's return in September 1992, but this seems to suggest that Taggert's material didn't appear until much later.

Some of this stuff didn't come to pass. I don't remember Jeremy and Stacey having a big story, but maybe I've forgotten it. Eventually, Hannah Mayberry developed a crush on Jeremy and accused her of sexual harassment, but that was a rather quick story that was Hannah's last hurrah and Jeremy and Stacey broke up shortly after. Similarly, Trucker and Trisha never were integral to the story because Noelle Beck announced her plans to leave the show and Trisha was "killed" off.

The new "bad girl" was Amelia Heinle's Stephanie Brewster, who worked in the long run.

The Shana / Ava story was Shana's decision to have a child via artificial insemination. At the time, Leo was dating Ava, but he agreed to donate his sperm to Shana. As time went on, Leo fell for Shana and things became more complicated. I think Ava even claimed she was pregnant by Leo at one point.

Curtis' story ended up being trunucated due to casting issues. Neither actor lasted four months in the role and eventually original actor Chris Marcantel returned to the role. Taggert used Curtis' Persian War backstory to introduce Tess Wilder and Buck Huston.

I cannot remember what happened with Clay under Taggert. I know they played a bit of the Curtis/Dinahlee/Clay relationship and Clay was involved with Tess Wilder at one point.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think, from some of the reviews I've read via SOD, that Jeremy's story with Stacey was saving her from Clay and his plans to institutionalize her. I'm not sure.

cassadine, I think there was some discussion of Taggart's time as headwriter on earlier pages. I haven't watched that era so I can't say.

I have another interview with her from a few months later. i will try to post that soon.

• Members

I do remember reading Jeremy was involved in the reveal that Clay was behind Stacey's gaslighting, but I didn't consider that 'big' as I don't remember it having the kind of impact it could have had. I'm sure you're right, but I thought Taggart was referring to something new and different.

Besides Nixon's influence, Taggert wrote the show the longest (September 1988-mid 1991 and then late 1992-fall 1993). Initially, she wrote with Tom King. They were hired after the writer's strike ended and continued a lot of what was going on, while killing off other stories. Incidentally, one of the stories I believe they wrapped up was the one involving Mei-Ling, which is mentioned above. Homewrecking Lily Slater was working at a homeless shelter with Fr. Jim and they were both trying to help Mei-Ling, who was a battered wife with a young son. Right before or right after, Mei-Ling, Timmy, and Lily were all given the boot. Taggert and King introduced Trucker McKenzie, paired him with Trisha, and made Jeff Hartman a psychopath. The duo also continued the Clay Alden/Alex Masters story by introducing the real Clay Alden back into the story and tying it into the Maine shooting that Trucker had been involved in. Egypt, who had been introduced during the strike, was kept around as a romantic rival for Ava.

Later, Taggert and King would introduce the young love story with Trucker's sister, Rocky McKenzie, Egypt's brother, Todd Jones, and a newly widowed Curtis Alden. At one point, they did a story set in some fictional Spanish speaking country which introduced Rio and Abril Domeq. Abril became involved with Clay, while Rio replaced Todd Jones in the younger love triangle.

Under Taggert and King, Stacey and Jack dealt with Stacey's infidelity with Rick or at least the birth of their child, Heather. I think a good amount of the Rick/Stacey stuff may have occurred during the writer's strike, but I cannot remember. Later, Rick was killed off and Stacey stood trial, I believe, for the murder. Jacqueline Babbin was EP at that point, but I cannot remember if Taggert and King were still writing.

Guza and Taggert won a WGA Award in 1993 for their work, but I don't remember many memorable stories. For the life of me, I cannot remember a single person returning, but I might be forgetting.

• Members

Thanks. That's amazing. I guess some of that wouldn't have made the air (the racier parts) and was just for audition. They were really playing up the Rachel Davis side of Ava here, even more than the Erica side. I wish SFK was here more often, I think he'd like this.

She's not bad, if a little OTT. I always enjoyed her on USA ("UP All Night").

I notice they mentioned brothers, which was dropped later on.

• Members

Rose Donovan appeared around the time Rick Alden was killed. That would have been around 1991. I don't remember her returning later on.

Ava went into a coma in spring/summer 1994 after being shot at the police station. I think Egypt had arranged for Ava to get in trouble with the law, but Ava ended up getting shot when a criminal stole a cop's gun.

The date on the tape says April 1984. I would say this was before Patty Lotz was hired. They even film the scene in that hotel room set when Ava says they've returned to the Rescott home.

Kate typically mentioned she had raised a large brood of children (6 or 7), but Sherri, Ava, Carly, and John Rescott were the only ones to appear onscreen.