Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ha, that first clip I thought, "That's not a fur hat Carl, that's her hair." :lol: I hadn't watched all the clips yet. These are great, thanks for sharing. And Lisa does look stunning, love her in that silver fox coat.

So I remember when Randolph Mantooth was Clay and my mother later explaining that he wasn't Clay anymore but I didn't remember him being off the show. I noticed that he wasn't in the credits but Horan was. I've never been.clear on the Clay retcon, i.e., the explanation of his appearance to his family if he was an imposter.

• Members

Randolph Mantooth left the role in 1989, and Alex was presumed dead. They recast him (I can't remember the actor's name) for about a year or so. They wrote him out with Egypt in 1990 or 1991. Then Mantooth returned in 1993. I think the recast may have been named Robert Dubac. He was a stand-up comedian.

I'm not sure what the explanation was for all the different faces (why James Horan had a different face than the guy impersonating Clay, why the recast Alex had a different face, etc.)

Edited by DRW50

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's a tale of two shows - one half generic, offputting shouting (led by Tony, because no one can bellow louder than Tony), and genuinely interesting mystery and drama with a little heart (Sydney/Richard). I enjoyed the Buck/Sydney banter too. And it's nice to see more of Molly's mania.

At least there's Carla to make me watch the other half.

(there was a ton of endless shouting and faux-macho aggression on ABC soaps at this time - I think that's one of the reasons their ratings were in the crapper)

• Members

I watched some of the July and August episodes yesterday morning, along with a September one a few days ago, and Tony + Tony/Ally are huge dead spots in literally every single episode, often isolated and repetitive. No wonder the ratings stayed so poor - why did they think any viewer desperately needed to see Tony 3-4-5 days a week?