OLTL: Nelson Branco's views on last weeks show.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Re: Bree Williamson's acting last week.

Personally, I didn't think it was Emmy-worthy, but as far as I'm concerned, everybody in the industry would be doing themselves a major favor by not submitting scenes that primarily consist of them crying. Look no further than Tom Pelphrey's legendary "AM I YOUR SON NOW, REVA?!?! URGH URGH URGH!!!" performance. Needless to say, that won him an Emmy (bullshit, if you ask me).

Make no mistake about it, that's not to say that I was disappointed in Bree's acting last week. I actually thought that her losing her mind and going slightly crazy was the exact way a wife would act when, within hours, she loses her husband, the father of her (soon-to-be) two children. Screw toning it down! You be a young wife who loses her husband within hours and show me how cool, calm, and collected you'll be.

Granted, I've never been in the position either, so that doesn't make me one to judge how she should react, but seriously. Seriously. I think it would have been horrible if BW "toned down" Jessica's reaction to Nash's death.

• Members

My problem is that she went for the hysterics far too quickly. I'm more of a buildup type person, and then total meltdown. The whole thing felt trite. IMO Bree was doing the right things, it was her execution of them that was horrible. I would have loved to see what a more capable actress would have done with that scene.

• Members

Ditto Kstaff. It's become almost a reflex for me. Even when he praises my favorites! I can barely resist the urge to point out all the reasons he is wrong. :lol:

Undoubtedly I've just been hanging in the wrong places but I am so impressed by the dialogue and the respectful disagreement that takes place here. I have some very unpopular opinions which I've expressed openly, and posters either ignore it *cough*notexcitedaboutsusanhaskellorandreaevans*cough* or the response is a well thought out rebuttal. The difference in the conduct is about the same as if you were hanging out in a pool hall in a rough part of town with a group of people on Saturday night, and then met them the next day for Sunday brunch at the country club. Or maybe I just have incredibly thickskin?

I think those of us who stuck with OLTL during the Higley years are just so giddy over the improvement it is really hard to find fault with Ron at this stage. It's a breath of fresh air to finally be entertained again. I don't think Carlivati is a creative genius. He's recycling stories. Some of the dialogue has been very weak. I agree with those who want more diversity on the show (and I want a story for Layla). But I think he's quite elegantly woven stories together that draw in so many different characters that almost every story at the moment is developing toward some outcome I am curious to see. I also think it's interesting that while Higley admitted she NEVER WATCHED the final episodes :blink: I just read a recap of a recent event where Carlivati (who has said he does watch the show) even admitted that he browses the internet and that there are particular posters whose opinions he respects that he seeks out! He said it doesn't impact his stories, but he seeks these opinions. I doubt I fall into that category, but I think some of you might.

I get bored quickly and I am very impatient, so I have already seen things in RC's writing that I probably won't be giving him a pass on for long. But for now I am focusing on the positive while enduring the negative with some hope that in time RC will take corrective action for those things as well.

• Members

Great post, and I agree for the most part. Plus, she DID tone it down at points. There was the one scene last Thursday where she told Nash he saved her life and then said "I wish I could save you too," which was beautifully understated and subtle. Also: when Jessica and Viki were talking on Friday, and Jessica talked about the balloons in Bree's room falling to the ground, that was very soft, subtle, and heartbreaking.

• Members

As always Nelson is way too melodramatic and exagerates but I kinda agree with some points. Namely this one:

"—Why would Dorian Cramer dedicate the past six months of her life destroying BE when a rapist is living under her roof? Wouldn’t she rather devote her precious time to ridding Llanview of the man who is harassing and physically abusing her foster daughter, grand-niece and her boyfriend? "

The Clint impetus does feel forced although Dorian has always been against the Buchanen's. The boozing Charlie thing felt a bit extreme for the modern character of Dorian too--and the Mel reference didn't help any. Still I lvoed so much of it I hate to comnplain :P

• Members

Sure Nelson has legitimate gripes, but he wouldn't be airing them if SON wasn't so pro-OLTL as of late.

Either that or Ron C. made it very clear that 9's don't get intimate with 4's.

Archived