OLTL: Nelson Branco's views on last weeks show.

• Members

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/The+Nelson...lson.htm?isfa=1

I disagree with everything he had to say about Dorian. The BE takeover was classic Dorian. I mean, does he not remember the lengths she's gone to get back at Vicki for getting her medical license revoked(or so she thought)? Or how far she went to get back at Sloane Carpenter? And I disagree with what he said about MA and BW too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well here was my response to his post.

Oh Nelson I bet you're just upset that your boy Nash was killed off lol.

I agree with you on certain points, but I think you slightly missed the target here. The problem as I see it, is that OLTL received great material last week, but the production, directors, and several of the actors failed to deliver. You cannot fault Ron for that one. I rather enjoyed the over-the-top takeover of BE, played by Robin Strasser. It was good old fashion soap. Before anyone says anything, I'm not saying that "good soap" has to be melodramatic, but hints of melodrama is always fun, when done correctly. However, all that ended when they decided to kill Nash in one of the most lamest ways ever. Was Jared responsible for his death? Nope. The only reason it seemed that way was because of the inexcusable directing. And to show it twice, was not worth it. Bree Williamson, Melissa Archer, John Brotherton, Forbes March. and yes even the lovely Paul Lavoisser failed to deliver the goods. They were either sleepwalking, "AWKTING," wailing, or struggling to emote. The sad part was, these were the key players to the story. I will say though that OLTL should not choose anything from last week for "Best Drama Series" because IMO, it was widely inconsistent. For the life of me, I just cannot get over how horrendous Bree Williamson was. I don't care how passable she was on Friday, the day that she was supposed to deliver, she took the "showboat" road and turned in a caricature performance. I'm ****ed that nobody reigned her in and told her to tone it DOWN, or atleast play it convincingly!

For the record, I see no comparison between Dorian Lord and Stefano Dimera. Hell, what Dorian did last week was EXTREMELY tame compared to what some of these others past vixens have done on other shows. Still, I know that's no excuse, but unlike say Gloria Fisher, Dorian Lord has always been a larger than life character, and Strasser has always done an admirable job of displaying that. Hell, I'd say drugging Charlie was one of her lesser crimes.

• Members

—Wasn’t Melissa Archer (Natalie) the shining star during this entire mess? Archer’s heartbreaking, visceral and impressive performance was the only saving grace during this campy mess.

LMFAO... no.

what is the correct reaction to sisters boyfriend no longer uncle murders you hsuabnd and you ahve to say goodbye? she could barley breath. it was perfection.

• Members

Exactly! If you just found out your sister has been banging a guy you thought was your uncle and then the same guy goes and throws your husband threw a skylight and you just lost your home, have a kid and another one on the way, wouldn't you be hysterical? Bree IMO her scenes exactly the way she should have. Archer however................

• Members

^^^Bree Williams has always been an erratic performance and if she submitted that "display of acting" for any award, she would be laughed off by the entire panel. It was truly awful, and ruined what should have been a good dramatic piece. As good as OLTL is, their production crew stinks. They need someone like ED Scott, or the ones who do wonders on GH, B&B, and Y&R.

• Members

I agree that Bree has always been an erratic performer, but I don't agree that this was one of those times. She played Jessica's shock, sorrow, and anger very convincingly and made me feel for Jessica for the first time since... I don't even remember when.

What was nice to see was Melissa Archer toning it down and not shouting back at the other actors last week. her understated performance was a welcome change for her character, and for her.

And I too disagree with almost everything else Nelson wrote. Dorian has never been above taking the low road... don't you remember seeing her last winter sprawled out on the floor of the Go Red Ball, reading the secrets she was supposed to be protecting? And sending Clint off to walk in on Viki and Sloane about to share a hotel bed all those years ago? She hasn't ever been a saint.

• Members

I disagree with practically this entire article.

Bree's performance was perfection (girlfriend was crying for real- you know how people get short of breath from too much crying-- it was REAL). It pierced straight to my heart. Her world was turned upside down in a matter of hours. She woke up that morning: she's got a nice new uncle, her husband was healthy, his vinyard was saved, a new baby on the way and she'd surprise him with the news. And suddenly her sis is banging her fake uncle and said fake uncle is responsible for the fact that her husband's got minutes to live, their vinyard is gone and she's a single mom with 1 1/3 kids. Dude, I'd be hysterical, too. It's not like Nash was ill for a time and death was a high probability and she'd had time to deal reconcile it. This was the shock of her life.

Dorian's deeds were classic.

I did like how MA didn't kill me with her crazy facial expressions-- although she did get a little whiny here and there. John Brotherton needs to work on his acting range-- pronto.

That's article doesn't sound like the masterpiece I watched last week.

• Members

I don't agree with him except saying that John Brotherton was absolutely laughable in these episodes. I felt his acting was way overhyped initially when he simply had a good character and was likable. People do a disservice to actors and writers like Ron Carlivati by blindly following them and offering no constructive criticism. While i don't agree with Nelson, I appreciate what he is saying and am happy to see someone being more critical of Carlivati (who is far from perfect). I just wish it were about something of more substance, like the serious lack of diversity on an urban soap like OLTL. This show is more than just the came from the 80s. Unfortunately, it seems nobody cares about that.

• Members

so. much. word.

wahtw as she suposed to? show no emotion? be sad and cry but not go *there* like BW did. She was a mess, a wreck, she was sooo emotional instead of having the absence of emotion, and thank god. now a days holding back is way to overrated, some things call for an over the top emotional breakdown and BW did that, then she puleld it together had someone go get bree and saidgoodbye to the man she loves. it was acted to perfection.

Archived