GL: June discussion

• Members

I watched Fridays episode of Guiding Light courtesy of YouTube and was scratching my head with the G and Cyrus thing. And I knew the word 'shealors' had to be some kind of word when G made a reference to Harley being a 'shealor'. Or did I spell that word right?

But in Australian slang, what is a 'shealor'? I'd like to know that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gotcha! I do remember Madonna saying that in her performance for 'Bye - Bye, Baby!" in her Girlie Show Tour and she performed it in Sydney, Australia. I was wondering what that slang meant.

• Members

Did anyone catch yesterday's show? What's with Dinah sitting down for a "chat" with a presumed burglar (G or Gillespie or Grady, whatever the [!@#$%^&*] they are calling him now) simply because he's "hot"???? WTF?? And how did G/Gillespie/Grady even get into the mansion in the first place?? So much for that "security" that Dinah was threatening him with. On a side note - GT looked great yesterday.

And what's with Ashlee and G/Gillespie/Grady? Why was she turning to mush around him?? What happened to her "love" for Coop? And what's going on with this dogtag thing and him saving her life? I obviously missed something there.

It was a horrible show. And I won't be watching today cuz it looks like it's turning into the G/Gillespie/Grady hour and his obviously super-powered woman attracting powers. He must be oozing testosterone or all the woman in Springfield are behaving like they haven't seen a man in years. Don't get me started on the stomach-turning Marina/Mallet crap from yesterday either.....

:angry::angry::angry:

• Members

But I am confused about one thing. Who's shed is that in the beginning of Tuesdays 6/10 episode? Daisy put a blanket there for Grady to sleep on I guess after theiving money once again for this piece of white trash. But, then there's this garage too and it looks like the same garage that Cassie and Cyrus slept together in. And Cassie and Cyrus supposedly drove in the middle of nowhere and had sex in a barn but it wasn't a barn. It was a garage. Not a barn. But a garage. I know I'm repeating this, but I'm trying to point out the bloopers on this show.

So with the shed and the garage, who's is it? And with the blanket that Daisy gave Grady to sleep on, why is the same blanket used that Daisy gave Grady in the shed the same blanket that's being used to boinkfest in the garage? And don't tell me Daisy ran to the shed and then ran to the garage because she IMMEDIATELY ran to the garage like a cat in heat.

Is this making any sense? :blink::lol:

• Members

It's supposed to be a storage shed Josh and Reva store their old stuff in. I'm not exactly sure where it is, but it doesn't seem to be on Reva's property, because Josh had the key for it. It doesn't seem to be on Cassie's property either, because I think after she got the key, she drove there.

It's not the random shed/garage Cassie and Cyrus boinked in. That was more like a garage for big equipment (or at the very least you could drive a car into. I remember it being nasty.)

• Members

It's not that much of a stretch, Sedrick, lol. In many ways, GL is in the same boat as pre-Marland/Monty GH. Ratings are flat, audiences are nil, and no one in charge knows the solution for turning things around. The difference, though, is that Marland and Monty had at least some strong characters already on the canvas to work with - namely, Lesley, Rick, Monica, Steve & Audrey, Jessie, Lee Baldwin, and even Scotty and Laura. I don't think GL has even that anymore. Very few legacy characters who are also audience favorites remain, and those who do remain have been so bowdlerized, IMO, that I wouldn't know what to do with them, save for putting them aboard a plane and crashing it. (Sound familiar, lol?)

I think it's time we face facts: short of another, eleventh-hour miracle, GL's time is coming to a close. However, because I'm convinced CBS continues to renew GL rather than lose that hour to the affiliates, I think it's also time for everyone concerned to start weighing the possibilities of spinning off one or two characters into a new series. Perhaps, Josh and Reva can decide to move back to Tulsa (to be closer to her sister, Roxie) and go back to live at the original CROSS CREEK? Or maybe Coop can decide to relocate to Boston to attend college there, working at a pub on BEACON STREET?

• Members

What really astounds me is that every single time I swear that GL couldn't possibly find a new and amazing way to suck even worse than it already does, almost immediately, it does! And this time it's in the form of G/Grady/Gillespie/Who The Hell Cares manipulating Daisy, exploiting Ashlee, and just being disgusting all over the place. It's like Wheeler woke up one day after a particularly bizarre dream and thought: "Hmm, about a year and a half ago, we had an Australian hitman on the show. Hey, two Aussies who've both been to Springfield, Illinois just HAVE to be brothers. Right? You know, even though they look, sound, and act absolutely nothing alike. And Cyrus's brother will be the murderer of the daughter of the woman that Cyrus once boinked in a barn for no reason whatsoever. No one will ever see that coming! Damn, I am so brilliant! Let's do it!".

I understand their plans for everyone tied to Harley getting thrown off by BE's departure, but to resort to G/Daisy for story, that's desperation of biblical proportions.

G is nothing more than a lame attempt to try and reattract the Jonathan fans with a guy who also has long, dark hair, a long rap sheet, and is oh, so angry and brooding. They also seem to be trying to turn Daisy/G into a Jammy ripoff complete with Ashlee getting strung along on the side. Again. We haven't seen much of Kane Manera yet, but I think we've seen enough to know that he ain't Pelphrey. They haven't caught lightning in a bottle here twice.

Plus, Jonathan had real, interesting connections to Springfield and reasons to exist. He was Reva and Richard's son. Josh's stepson. Cassie and Edmund's nephew.

G is Cyrus's younger brother. So what? Having foolishly ruined his once promising relationships and friendships with Marina, Alex, Dinah, Alan, and Buzz and with Harley gone, Cyrus has no place in town anymore. He has no real job. No real home. No friends. And hasn't had a real, believable relationship since the one he and Marina shared way back before Thanksgiving of last year.

Last summer, Cyrus had a decent shot at being an interesting leading man on this show but the writers flushed that possibility down the toilet when they made him the stupid, sleazy man-ho of Springfield in order to shove him into a pathetic sham of a relationship with Harley and then a meaningless barn boink with Cassie.

As a result, I once loved Cyrus and now even I don't care what happens to him, why should anyone else? And if nobody cares what happens to Cyrus, G's only real reason to be back, why would anyone care about his drug dealer, attempted rapist, and murderer brother who is manipulating and exploiting two young vulnerable girls in Daisy and Ashlee?

The fact that they've shoehorned G into the opening sequence already seems like an ominous sign that we're gonna be stuck with this loser, on the frontburner and in our faces, for a while.

• Members

I doubt that would happen. I think the only thing keeping GL on the air right now is the title of the longest running daytime drama in broadcast history...last year's Emmy probably bought it some time as well...if they win again this year (using the episodes they submitted, they have a chance...even if the rest of the year has been complete garbage) then some more time will be bought but at the same time no changes will be made...with EW still at the helm and her 'hip, innovative, let's try and reinvent the wheel' attitude still full on force, then the show is on a death sentence.

• Members

It's better you stop if it is making you so angry. I stopped watching. I've watched the show for almost 30 years now. But the show is the pits. I just cant sit and watch the [!@#$%^&*] they put on anymore. It is too painful to watch.

• Members

There was one time when I actually did stop because of the way they butchered the character of Beth. But now, it's like I have to watch it because the show is such a hot mess. I'm completely embarrassed for the actors. So embarrassed that I hope that don't put Guiding Light on their resume kind of embarrassed. It's that bad.

There are so many questions I have about the show because it seems that every character has done a 180 degree turn. The once great music they had are no longer, but instead, we're reduced to this band music that sucks. If someone gave me tickets to go see them, I'd throw the tickets in the trash and call it a day.

Sorry. My mind is so mixed with so many emotions.

• Members

RVD - Almost always IA with your posts and this one is no exception. The points that I quoted above in particular. I was also one that was intrigued by Cyrus when he came to Springfield looking for Dinah and the writers did a fairly decent job with showing us their backstory. I thought he and Marina had great potential, great chemistry (one of the few pairings since MB took over the role that worked, IMO) and EW/DK flush it down the crapper. Like you, as a result I don't give two hoots about Cyrus, much less some sleaze bag brother of his. Not even a little bit.

You're right, Soapsuds. I really should stop watching, but it's been part of my life for so long now (since 1978 or so) that it's a hard habit to break. Even this train wreck...<sigh> I think subconsciously, I am hoping to see a glimpse of what used to be my fave soap - but realistically, I know it will never happen. I don't watch everyday now, but I do catch it about 2 or 3 times a week. My sister and I were just humming the opening "Hold on to love" last night on the phone! LOL! Those were the good ol days.

• Members

You see I am the opposite. I just cant watch. I remember how good GL once was. It's not even 1/3 of what it use to be. Why Ellen Wheeler went with these awful productions values is beyond me. It adds to the horribe writing it already has.

Archived