9/1/86-9/5/86 

Ilene Kristen (Delia) returned on September 5

rating -2.6

9/8/86 -9/12/86

Ilene's first full week back

rating -2.9

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Worth a listen...Ilene was gorgeous, funny and real (as always).  Said she could not have done the Prince Albert storyline.  Only had praise for her co-stars but was more candid about various EPs, ABC, storylines, etc.  Admitted she really enjoyed her final  years back on the show.  

Tom Lisanti looks to have gotten lots of great interviews (including Helen), but said that Kate Mulgrew refused -- and Ilene explains why.  Also not participating in the book were Marg Helgenberger, Grant Show, Tichina Arnold and Maureen Garrett.  Amazingly both Michael Levin and Roscoe Born were interviewed before their deaths.  

Can't wait to read it !

• Members

I had this on in the background while I was doing other things this morning--- so  a few things ---and they will probably be more detailed in the book.

Ilene was wonderful. Great that host Michael Fairman was a fan.

Author Tom Lisante intrigued to hear about Geoff Pierson's(Frank #4) firing in book. Also, Ron Hale's 1984? almost-storyline in the book.

The Dirty Harry reason for the firing of Andrew Robinson (Frank $2)---he really wanted to win that Emmy after he was let go.

Ann Gillespie (Siobhan #2) had problems with producer Ellen Barrett, too.

We had heard Sarah Felder (Siobhan #1) was "difficult" but it was interesting that Ilene described her as unhinged and had to talk her down at times. We knew about Michael Levin's (Jack)  temper.

I didn't realize this early change in Pat from ladies' man to good guy was because of the decision to have Frank live and Frank was to be seen as the womanizer. During Malcolm Groome's (Pat #1)2008? blog talk radio interview, he also noted the change in Pat to a nice guy and said they made Pat more like Malcolm. Although, early Pat was not some great seducer of women ---more of a fun, immature, wandering fellow with playing dart with girls, and dancing, and flirting as he walked around Neurology chewing gum. (There was that terrible conversation where Pat told Bucky to ply Faith liquor to loosen her up.} Here Malcolm originally tested for Bucky and then Pat really did become Bucky.

Someone told me those blog talk radio interviews aren't working. Too bad --- they were great. Did anyone save them?

Ilene thought Patrick James Clarke (Pat #4)was the only good Pat recast. I haven't really seen a lot of his work on the show

I'll have to go back and listen again. I heard Tom, the author,  say they should have made Bob gay ---but I missed what led up to that comment in the conversation.

Edited by safe

• Members

Ilene is clearly one of those people who keeps in touch with a lot of friends/former colleagues. She had something nice to say about most people and just seems like a great person.

You can tell she bears some scars from her firing over her weight in 1983. That was the only time where a shadow crossed her face during the interview. What a shame. But I was glad to hear that her final stint on the show was so enjoyable for her.

• Members

Ilene seems to be nice but I disagree with Fairman that she should have won an Emmy as Delia. None of my family, myself included, ever got into Delia and hated her acting. Go back and watch those early RH episodes. Sorry, Ilene. And I question her saying that her emmy nomination just disappeared. Yeahright. That was gossip not fact.

• Members

Ilene is a pip and a total pro.  She deserves more opportunities to shine…

She demurred when asked about the others who played Delia — instead commenting on the writing they had to work with.  She admitted the Prince Albert story was not one she could have done.

Lisanti opened by saying it was Delia that got him hooked on RH…interestingly Delia at the time was played by Randall Edwards.

Randall was my first Delia too, and I always enjoyed her shiksa goddess version of Delia.  I’m in the minority I know…but the Prince Albert storyline got my 8-yr-old self hooked on RH.  I agree that the storyline wouldn’t have worked with Ilene — she was no damsel in distress.

• Members

Great chat!  Thanks for sharing, @Soapsuds!

I'd have to agree with IK.  IMO, Patrick James Clarke looked like he belonged in that family in ways that the other Pat recasts didn't.  He could've worked as a Frank recast or as a Pat recast.

Michael Fairman mentioned people in the chat who said Robin Mattson was "boring" as a Delia recast.  RM was definitely miscast as Delia, but I don't think her lackluster performances were entirely her fault.  I think IK hit the nail on the head when she suggested that RM might have been scared playing Delia.  Plus, I get the impression that ABC was interfering tremendously with RH at that time, and that between them, Pat Falken Smith, Joe Hardy and the directors, she was probably struggling to get any kind of handle on the role.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Does anyone else feel like the Prince Albert story sounds much worse than it actually was? I am normally one to criticize the movie ripoff stories, especially all the changes ABC mandated around that time, but the story was fairly quick and gave Delia a number of vulnerable moments which Randall Edwards sold well. I don't think it was much sillier than, say, the faking blindness story.

I have barely seen Patrick #4, but I will always have a soft spot for John Blazo.

Interesting that Ilene had to keep Sarah under control. I don't remember them even working together very often in the six months or so they overlapped.

• Members

I do remember Ilene and Sarah doing some work together. Siobhan was the only Ryan who viewed Delia as an equal and a friend, as opposed to someone who needed to be taken care of, or as an object of pity or disgust.

I like Robin Mattson, but she doesn’t have much range IMO; she’s the same in every role she plays. And her character type is not Delia.

I liked Randall Edwards as Delia. They were smart to take her Delia in a different direction as opposed to trying to copy Ilene’s version.

Edited by Chris 2