GL: Kim Zimmer is Mad!

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Apr 20 2008, 05:20 PM)
I don't think Kim Zimmer looks bad at all. GL styles everyone so poorly that they almost look homeless. Whenever we see her at the Emmys she looks great. GL has no glamour anymore and if you don't look perfect (Crystal Chappell, Marcy Rylan) you'll look like crap with the horrible close ups and bad lighting.

I don't think she looks bad either. Sure she doesn't look as great as some other actresses, but she doesn't look bad by any means at all. GL doesn't help either.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I love KZ, I wouldn't put her anywhere near the acting category of Susan Flannery. KZ's camp and OTT theatrics, all the way. She's the master of the teary choke, the sobbing histrionics. And none of that is BAD, that's a perfectly valid form of acting, especially on a soap. She grabs the emotions and amps them up to 11.

But Flannery? She's an ACTRESS. And I mean that in the most flattering way possible. She can play humor, pathos, camp, and straight-up drama. She's got a depth of skill that KZ never really approached, but again I think that's okay. She's also been doing this job for a lot longer than Kim, so it's not unheard of.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Apr 21 2008, 12:32 AM)
http://www.soaps.com/guidinglight/board/59712/

According to that post, Zimmer has been fired. Very interesting that people in this thread said due to her looks she has no future. Strangely enough, the most shallow soap on air (GH) is looking at her, if the rumor is true.

Hmmm, I don't know if GL would fire its biggest actress (no pun intended) over a somewhat negative interview about the state of the show. Sounds phoney to me, especially the GH part. Her family is on the East coast. I don't see her relocating to LA for GH.

• Members

No way in hell GH would hire her.

I think GL was at its best when she wasn't there, but as she is now, I think it would be a mistake to lose her. Yes, I agree she's overweight, crass, etc., and until recently I always found her gross and intolerable. But one of the few boons to Wheeler/Kreizman's work, IMO, is that the writing seems to understand and acknowledge (even if Zimmer doesn't) that Reva is an aging old sexpot who thinks she's hotter than she is, or maybe she doesn't, but she still has some spark. The way I see it, they now write Reva as though she is old and heavy and refuses to hide it, or to hide the fact that she's still a sexual being and proud of it, despite her wrinkles and sags. So to see an honest character like that on American daytime is refreshing to me. I find that character far preferable to the Reva of 2000 or '98, who was blowdried, teased, sold to us as a "sex goddess" but already, at that time, looked like refried, overtanned leathery [!@#$%^&*]. (Honestly, who believed Richard Winslow took her to be his island queen?) This older woman who just doesn't give a [!@#$%^&*] and admits she's easy is more interesting to me than Reva, domestic goddess and centerpiece of Springfield.

• Members

I'm not buying the "scoop" that Kim Zimmer has been fired until it is confirmed. If it is true, there is absolutely no way on this earth that rumor about GH being interested in her is true. That show would never hire her. These are the people wouldn't give Genie Francis a contract because she put on less weight that Kim Zimmer has and they won't give their own veteran actors (other than Luke and by extension Tracy) more than a second of airtime.

GL can still tell interesting stories around Reva even if she isn't a sexpot any more. She is still a woman who has family and a love in Josh. It is too bad that the show has lost its substance. If the writing was good, the terrible production could be ignored, but as things stand, all I see is washout looking actors, jumpy camera work and outdoor scenes where everything looks a shade of beige.

• Members

It could very well be that it is KZ who doesn't want Reva to mature (read that age).

If she really has been fired as reported, then her tirade makes all the sense in the world. In the world of entertainment, nobody wants to get fired, unless they are in that rare catagory of top money makers and there is always a line of people wanting their services and they don't care. KZ is not in that league (IMO) and I can't see her going over to GH because they already have a roster of mature actresses who they don't use so why add another.

Archived