GL: Kim Zimmer is Mad!

• Members

For many years in my youth, Reva WAS Guiding Light. KZ acted the hell out of anything Pam Long wrote for her, and when she left in 1990, I really thought the show would never recover.

But I was wrong. It got exponentially better. The show became a true ensemble and really opened up. I know everyone here has their personal "glory days" of GL, but for me, it was that period between Reva leaving and coming back. By the time she returned, the show was already 3 steps in the crapper, and while she helped make it exciting again briefly, once she lost Cynthia Watros as a sparring partner, it was back to square one.

And I truly don't mean to be cruel, but KZ hasn't aged well at all. It's not about her weight, I personally don't care about that. She just looks frumpy as hell, and has lost all shred of glamour. GL, collectively, looks like a poor man's EastEnders now, with a bunch of dour, dreary looking people moving through dour, dreary-looking sets. And that would be fine, except that's NOT GL!

It boggles my mind that a show like Passions *looks* like a classic soap. (Note, I said "looks" not anything else...) Good costuming, good makeup, excellent sets... it makes me sad that GL's lost that.

And I agree, as sad as it sounds to say it, GL's been dead for years. It's the Terri Schiavo of daytime.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree!

For those reasons alone is why I prefer Nancy Curlee and company over Pam Long's more glossy approach to storytelling. Late 90 to early 94 is regarded by many (myself included) as GL's last golden era, and neither Zimmer or Long had anything to do with that, as you've said. GL became much more of a real show again that dealt with more social issues, family drama, and as you've said, it had a more ensemble approach to it.

And GL totally lost something when Watros left in 98, so much of the show was focused on her at that point that it became a huge blow. No one brought out a fire and overall zest in Zimmer's acting like Cynthia Watros did.

I agree again! :)

• Members

ITA. Time and gravity has indeed taken a toll on KZ, that's why it makes no sense to continue portraiting her as "the slut of Springfield". With Oliva and Ava on the scene-- that torch should/could be passed to either one or even both of them. I've never been a fan of Riva but I feel that there is nothing more sad (IMO) than the aging "good time girl" she's become.

• Members

Her fading looks are not serving her well, obviously. It must be a huge dilemma for TPTB over that GL: how to keep their aging marquis actress active, and not alienate too many of their long-time viewers, while trying desperately (and usually fruitlessly, I'm afraid) to attract an audience that wants youth, beauty, and glamour on a daily basis. The same thing happened with Slezak over at OLTL, but they've found ways to keep her character active, if no longer central to the show. With actresses like Susan Lucci and Melody Thomas Scott, they've been able to maintain their youthful appearances. However, they too are no longer the centerpieces of their shows.

• Members

And I don't understand right now why Kim Zimmer is mouthin' off the way that she is. I mean, she's done this over and over like a broken record and I'm not siding with Ellen Wheeler here- lord no. Please don't think that. I'm glad that she's speaking her mind open and freely, but I agree with some of the posters that she looks like a frump these days. I noticed that when I saw her in a pair of jeans. Not once, but its been for quite sometime. Kim Zimmer needs to look like dynamite instead of Barbara Mandrell looking for the Visa Tag these days...

Of course, I will admit that Kim Zimmer had that certain "spark" when doing scenes with Cynthia Watros. How could she not? Both actresses were quite the scene stealers, but Cynthia blew Kim Zimmer away like she were blowing pixie dust from the palm of her hand and saying, "Here's to you, bitch!" Sorry- that was not the way that I wanted to describe the acting chemistry between the two of them, but I can't help but to play favoritism with Cynthia anyways.

• Members

That's the biggest problem with Zimmer at GL. She refuses to be the matriarch like Slezak at OLTL but has also aged too poorly to be the sexy diva like Lucci or Thomas Scott (who have both most certainly dipped their toes in the Botox/Restylane/Surgery Fountain of Youth). She either needs to pull a Jeanne Cooper and have her makeover become part of the storyline or she needs to give in and become a backburned aged character. It's the hard and fast reality of daytime: poorly aged doesn't work.

• Members

I'm not the biggest Kim Zimmer fan and I do think that she is overrated, but her weight gain and appearance are irrelevant to her lack of screentime on GL. Look at Susan Flannery on B&B. She is one of the rocks on which B&B is found. She has gained much more weight than Kim Zimmer over the years. Susan Flannery wears unsexy suits and comfy sneakers, but she continues to play one of the most important characters on B&B and is constantly on the frontburner. It doesn't matter how many times Stephanie lashes out at Brooke or Eric, she is missed when she isn't on the screen. I can't imagine Brad Bell paying her to stay at home when he can use her to stir things up.

The failure to use Kim Zimmer is evidence of how poorly GL is written. The show also looks like crap and had poor ratings. I am shocked very year that it is renewed.

• Members

While I absolutely agree with you, I think I should clarify my point of view.

Unlike Susan Flannery, who has consistently played the matriarch and has never relied on sex appeal for her role on B&B, Kim Zimmer has. Susan Flannery was around the age Kim Zimmer is now when she started on B&B, she's *always* played someones mother and never seemed uncomfortable with it. To me, Zimmer is uncomfortable with being a matronly character: she thinks she's still young and hot when the truth is, she isn't. The kind of role Zimmer wants to play is one which has come and gone her way. Essentially, she wants to play Reva like it's 1988 instead of 2008. Perhaps this is the fault of the writers as Reva hasn't really evolved, she's still the "Slut of Springfield" and with the way she's aged, it isn't a flattering part.

I think if you contrast the character of Reva with the character of Jill on Y&R it becomes clear. Jill started out a good girl, then became a tramp, then became an executive, then a mother, then the mother of a dead child, then a wife (several times), then a mother again, then a mature woman. I don't mean mature in 'menopausal hag' I mean mature in 'grown up, evolved, her own person'...Reva has become one note. I don't know who possesses the blame for that, it could be Zimmer, it could be the writers or P&G...it's probably all of them.

• Members

I don't think Kim Zimmer looks bad at all. GL styles everyone so poorly that they almost look homeless. Whenever we see her at the Emmys she looks great. GL has no glamour anymore and if you don't look perfect (Crystal Chappell, Marcy Rylan) you'll look like crap with the horrible close ups and bad lighting.

• Members

You are right that Susan Flannery's situation is different because her stories have revolved around not just her marriage to Eric or playing off her sexuality, but around her role as matriarch of the Forrester family. I also think that you make a good point about Kim needing to accept that Reva is no longer a "sex kitten." However, I will point out that her situation is similar to Jill (Y&R) and Erica's (AMC) situation in that they have all lost screen time to younger less actors playing less interesting characters. Kim like Jess Walton and Susan Lucci are experiencing the ageism and sexism that effects women more than men in Hollywood. Decrepit Eric Braeden as Victor can have a cringe worthy affair with a woman half his age, but these women cannot do the same. Kim going to have to accept that these are the way of things and prepare for the day that she no longer has a steady job.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Apr 20 2008, 02:20 PM)
I don't think Kim Zimmer looks bad at all. GL styles everyone so poorly that they almost look homeless. Whenever we see her at the Emmys she looks great. GL has no glamour anymore and if you don't look perfect (Crystal Chappell, Marcy Rylan) you'll look like crap with the horrible close ups and bad lighting.

word to everything.

Chris B, you are love for this post (and many others...)

• Members

You're absolutely right. I'm glad you understand what I mean. Zimmer needs to realize that her 'sex kitten' days are long behind her and go onwards with some dignity. I think if she was prepared to become more of a matriarch like Susan Flannery it would work to her advantage at a P&G soap, unfortunately she does not appear prepared to do so.

I absolutely detest the ageism and sexism which is so obvious in daytime. Walton, Lucci etc are all top notch and should have the kind of stories that they used to have. There are so many wonderful actresses that have been sidelined and it makes me sick. That's what conflicts me about Zimmer, while I detest the ageism in this industry and believe that all actors should be judged on their talent I do have some sympathy when an actor or actress becomes unmarketable, which is what I believe separates Walton, Lucci, Zeman, Strasser etc etc from Zimmer: they've all still 'got it'.

I know what they are, when to use them and how to use them...that being said...I haven't used them, I know about them for a reason you probably didn't consider ;)

Archived