• 5 months later...
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So I watched first two episodes now. This is the first time watching them since originally watching them way back when.

And wow... 

1) How didn't any soap opera snatch Sarah Buxton after SuBe was over??? How?! Since episode one she was great! I will never understand this.

2) In these first two episodes, Tiffany (Adrienne Frantz) has been really a major player. However, she quickly fizzles out. I mean, she was severely unlikable and annoying, but I am surprised they gave up on her that easily. She could have had more and her backstory could have been explored.

3) I forgot that Casey and Paula were friends. That was interesting to see.

4) My God, were the men hot or what?! Jason George, Tim Adams, Hank Cheyne, Nick Stabile, Dax Griffin... wow wow wow! I mean, the ladies too, but the guys were smoking hot!

5) Having Meg and Ben meet online was quite fun, since that was a thing back then, I guess. Chatroom and emails.. But what was funny was seeing Meg plug in her laptop on a plane to have a dial up connection?! Hahaha I didn't know you could that back then. I mean, some planes don't have internet connection today, and look at 1997!

Please register in order to view this content

6) Kelly Hu as Rae was also somewhat annoying. I remember loving Rae and Casey, but her introduction was quite abrasive. 

7) While Annie fights with Del, she mentions Del driving her mother away. We never got to know more about Annie's mom, haven't we? I am sure if the show went on, this would have been a story thread they'd look into. I wonder who could have played Annie's Mom. Maybe Anna Stuart (ex-Donna, AW)? 

Anyway, it was nice to go back to my teenage years...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, I seem to remember that.

Sarah Buxton had about two speeds as an actor, but people back then kept demanding she take on major roles on non-Reilly soaps. She supposedly was up for Tina on OLTL in that period and she was too young! She was not ready to play in the big leagues performance-wise either.

• Members

Sarah Buxton has barely aged! She still looks fantastic and very Annie-esque.

Obviously Tina on OLTL would have been WAY too old a character for Sarah Buxton, and that her acting leant itself to the twists and turns of a Reilly-esque soap like Sunset Beach, Passions or Days. Or Bradley Bell's B&B. But on, say, ATWT? OLTL? Y&R? Buxton would have had to develop more subtle delivery depending on the SL.

So much of Reilly's writing was about delaying the denouement of a SL -- stretching it out to a crazy Sweeps meltdown 2-3 years down the line. You need to fill those 2-3 years with lots of trick denouements ("it was just a dream!"), or actors talking aloud to themselves as they recap their latest nefarious acts for the audience. Sarah Buxton really had that latter part down to an art on Sunset Beach and B&B. And acting on these Reillyesque shows really did take a certain skill -- balancing the OTT outlandish stuff and making it so the audience totally buys it. 

I watched all of Sunset Beach back in the day, and I missed Sarah Buxton the most when it ended. I really wanted her to land on her feet on another soap (although be careful what you wish for -- see Maura West on Y&R). Buxton had a certain X factor that jumped off the screen; I couldn't take my eyes off her and her crazy scheming. She played such a fun character, too. I would like to imagine that time and regular TV/Daytime roles would have refined Buxton's acting skills. In her early B&B days, some subtlety was evident when she played the rather mysterious character of Morgan, but she was soon written as the psycho bunny-boiler.

Edited by Cat

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...