Sunset Beach Discussion Thread

• Members

It’s not an “attitude”, NBC would have happily renewed the show had Spelling given up the international royalties, so it was never about ratings at that point. 

Let’s not forget NBC basically buried the show when they moved it to Noon in July 1999 to make way for Passions, which left many affiliates airing the show at 3am or just not at all. 

And we all saw how cheap Passions looked in comparison (nice location shoots for the first week to hook viewers in, then back to shooting the outside inside). 

Yeah, Channel 5 did offer to co-fund the show with NBC and Spelling, but they refused. Channel 5 also wanted to rerun the show immediately after the final episode, but NBC increased the licensing fee to some stupid amount, essentially pricing them out. Clearly, they were bitter over not getting those international royalties they so desperately wanted. 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was always scheduled at noon though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_United_States_network_television_schedule_(daytime)

That's why it could never gain any traction in the ratings and was doomed from the start. It's a show that clearly targeted the 18-34 year olds who watched the Spelling prime time soaps... yet they put it in a spot where few of those would be home to watch it.

• Members

Noon was always Sunset Beach's official broadcast time, but NBC was big at the time about allowing affiliates to air their daytime lineup whenever they wanted to.  Where I lived at the time received 2 different NBC affiliates & while one (Louisville) aired DAYS & AW at the official 1pm/2pm, they aired SuBe at 11am.  The other (Lexington) aired AW at 10am, DAYS at 11am, & SuBe at 1pm.  The Louisville CBS affiliate also aired Y&R at 4pm & the Lexington CBS's affiliate aired Y&R at 9am (a day behind), which it had done since the 70s. 

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just wanted to post this for someone who may be on the lookout for an easy way to watch - https://archive.org/details/sunset-beach

The entire series from start to finish can be watched and download from this folder in archive.org

I am not the uploader, I just found it while looking around.