Sunset Beach Discussion Thread

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Morgan Was A Major Player In her 2000 - 2001 Stint, Half The Drama On The Show Was About Her, the She had a Small return on 2005, I Do understand what you mean Though, she Seems to be the kind of Player Any Daytime Soap Would Love, Especially DOOL or GH

• Members

Exactly! She had this fun campy side, but she also was good at the more serious dramatic stuff. Obviously, she wasn't a fit for New York soaps or Y&R, but she would be a perfect fit to DAYS or GH

Oh yeah, I remember that! I was so hoping it would somehow turn into a permanent role, but alas... 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Can you tell me which episodes from the 3rd season are better than the old episodes?

Please register in order to view this content

So I don't have to download them all and check each episode. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a blog on streaming soaps. Here's how Sunset Beach reads: 

SUNSET BEACH owned half by NBC & half by Spelling. Spelling Entertainment, the tv catalog in its entirety is now owned by CBS. Does that mean that SUNSET BEACH is owned jointly by CBS & NBC?

I saw where someone here posted that NBC had had nothing to do with the show since Susan D. Lee canceled it in 1999. But, they haven't posted in a good while. 

Is there anyone here posting who knows why NBC did they not pursue their half ownership? If indeed, that is true. 

Thanks.

• Members

Yeah, it’s a little confusing, but all that seems to be known is that the back catalogue of Spelling Entertainment is now owned by CBS Paramount now. Given that the show has been rerun on international CBS channels in recent years, it seems like NBC no longer have the rights to the show. 

As NBC had broadcasting rights and were funding 50% of the show, my guess is those rights expired at some point and all rights reverted back to the production company, Spelling Entertainment. 

The rights for the show were a contentious issue, as NBC wanted to own the show outright, most likely to have more control, but also to get their hands on the international royalties, which were going directly into Spelling’s pocket. The more popular it became internationally, the more money they were making, which is why NBC pulled the plug as Spelling refused to share those royalties. 

• Members

Thanks for that information. The path for Spelling Entertainment isn't confusing at all. It's just what the heck happened to NBC's 50%! Since they are not having anything to do with it, it is likely that their "property rights" expired, as you said. 

But, the show was canceled because they couldn't get their ratings up. As it was they should've been canceled when AW was but Susan D. Lee made a deal with Aaron Spelling where they took half their licensing fee & NBC gave them an extra 6 months, to the end of the year. Their ratings were lower than AW's in April when Susan D. Lee announced the cancelation of AW ahead of deadlines. (All show had ratings deadlines at the end of May.) 

• Members

It wasn’t just a rating thing. Wasn’t channel 5 from the UK even offering them some money to co-fund another season coz it got good ratings over there? Yet they declined. Which is weird considering they wouldn’t have to spent much as before. They could’ve at least tried it

• Members

Who would've gotten those proceeds? Previously it was said that Spelling had 100% of international distribution. If so, that's your answer. 

I honestly do think it was the typical bottom line ratings reason but there is an attitude that was in existence & that was that NBC fervently wanted to own everything. And they were possessed at that time of an opinion that James Reilly was about to make everyone of every age who had a TV watch their new show.