Y&R Spumor: Could Bryton Be Staying After All/

• Members

Rumor has it that Bryton McClure, who plays Devon, will not be leaving Y&R as once said. Rather, he could be signing a new contract to stay on to continue his constant pining for a certain 'sister' he has.

* Side note: What the hell are they going to give Devon? Seriously....the only time he has a storyline is if he's in harms way (remember the zoo incident)....I simply can't see why they want to keep him just to continue his lust for Lily....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have grown to hate Bryton so much. Devon is so useless and is only there to tell his sister what to do and to set her up on countless blind dates.

Now to me, Bryton seems to be acting quite a bit like Kristoff St. John. His body language and the way he talks seems just like KSJ. That bugs me quite a bit.

• Members

Devon could be a compelling character. I'm not sure Bryton was ever the right casting.

One of my favorite primetime shows is HBO's The Wire. That show is populated with dozens of young men with Devon's back story--drug ho mother, juvenile justice refugee, shuttled from foster home to foster home.

I realize Devon is supposed to have "gotten out" of that mess...but he'd still carry the scars of that past.

Daytime _has_ actors like that. Tobias Trevullion (sp?) on OLTL comes to mind. Of course, AMC's Reggie was played by a former Wire actor (albeit playing a character who was supposed to be more sensitive and sweet than many others). And every young guy ever on the Wire.

I'd like to see Devon recast with a young man who carries some of that feral energy and abandonment past (let's face...Devon SHOULD be the next Victor Newman...that's the kind of personal power he should carry in his scenes...same past, basically). Not just a prissy face when Lily kisses other men. He should have a swagger, a need to control, an underlying mistrust and vigilance.

They're not writing for Devon, IMO, because the actor is not properly cast for this role. I'd send Devon off to music college, and when I brought him back, I'd bring back a recast. I wonder if there is some way they could also write off the deafness plot. I originally LOVED that they would have a deaf character, but they have mishandled that as much as Victor's epilepsy and Nick's amnesia. All three conditions have basically been erased from the storyline.

• Members

Bryton is fine in the role. It's the writing that's always the problem.

Every beat he's been given to play has been undercut by the emasculinization of Black sexuality in Daytime.

He can only play the beats given to him which would be interesting if the same effort that is applied to his peers (Daniel, Kevin & Cane) characterization were applied to his character too.

Michael Jordan suffered from the same problem.

The only difference between them was MJ got a love interest (Dani) long before Bryton & even she was snatched away from him so his newly created white stepbrother Josh could use & abuse her then cast her aside.

Truvillion is very handsome & an ok actor but he's never been treated as anything more than a pale facsimile of RJ & shoehorned into an ill matched pairing with Layla that was given NO depth & barely any airtime.

Bryton's peers Graziadei, Goddard & Rikaart have had CONSTANT arcs since they were shoehorned on the canvas but (and most important) were never treated like sexual eunuchs.

Kevin can burn people alive & NEVER be remorseful about it & Daniel can set people up to be assaulted without a second thought yet the audience is supposed to sympathize with them over Devon?

Bryton is not Paul Robeson but he is a good actor & as talented as any of his peers but he's been failed by the writing & no recast be it Denzel or anyone else would fair any different.

Archived