Barack Obama Elected President!

Max

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a straight black woman, then allow me. I consider gay rights to be one of the most important civil rights battles of the 21st century. And I'm ashamed that any person who has seen - let alone lived - the result of having society tell you that you don't matter as much as somebody else would codify that kind of asshattery into law.

• Members

I think what is happening now is a consertive effort by seniro members of the Party to destroy her so she can't run for Higher Office 4 years from now. This makes no sense. Look, I'm glad she and McCain lost. Having those two running our country would have set us all back 100 years, because it has now been proven neither one of them has one clue about what it takes to effectively run government.

But some of this BS coming out about her.......I have to once again ask the question, she was picked....WHY?! They pushed the FP experience angle, which has now proved to have blown up in all their faces, and the truly petty things coming out for both camps is just silly and childish.

All these people should be ashamed. Every last one. Like rats jumping ship, everyone of them are pointing fingures at each other and not doing what the best thing is for them to do......

Take responsibility for this collosal failure, learn from it and move on.

I see someone from theParty, a dark horse, imerging for 2012. They need to find someone alot more moderate and not nearly as right-wing as Palin.

• Members

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you think it's okay that black people vote against gay rights? Because I don't. People who've lived on the receiving end of bigotry have no excuse for inflicting it on others. If I've misunderstood your statement I apologize.

• Members

The "enemies" for those in favor of gay rights are the ones who voted Yes on 8, IMO. The word enemy is a little strong though. I've read that black voters favored Yes on 8 by a landslide, but there's no way that the blame can be laid on them entirely. Hell, there are some gay people who voted Yes on 8. It's not smart for anyone to point fingers at any group of people and lay the blame on them, because that does nothing to divide us even more.

At the same time, I think it's just as damaging to accuse one minority group of "piggybacking" their fight for rights off of another minority group's back.

• Members

I dunno. I don't think the failure of the campaign was her fault, though. I place the blame squarely on McCain and his people. They were sluggish and unresponsive to both Obama's claims and the wants and desires of the party faithful. Of course, I'm sure others feel like me -- McCain was NOT our first choice... Hell, I didn't even vote in the primaries I was so uninspired!

However, I disagree with Roman (gasps suddenly fill the forum)... I believe the major mistake by Republicans was to run as anything other than conservatives. Their base and those even slightly right of moderate simply did not give a crap about McCain... they rarely if ever agreed with him on issues. I firmly believe that candidates on both sides should try to run as who they are -- either liberal or conservative. Don't be afraid to state desired policy... saves us voters from having to second guess where our guy (or gal) stands through all the BS. I detest moderates and this is why I wasn't a particularly strong fan of John McCain. Moderates have too easy a time shifting here and there... and worse still to me are candidates with either liberal or conservative roots PRETENDING to be moderate. Bull.

As for Sarah Palin... I truly believe McCain can credit her for keeping him in the race down to the final weeks. She appealed to a voting block (yes, I'm referring to infamous voting blocks) that didn't care for McCain. They came out for her, not him. Will we see her again? Maybe... but someone else will surface that will become a party frontrunner before 2012. She'll be old news by then, unless she generates a lot of publicity stirring up the establishment in Alaska.

The old guard is trying to trash her because she represents a move back to basics... which is what McCain and Company don't represent. They represent some sort of bastardized Republican agenda that is far from what both Reagan-era Republicans and conservative Democrats embrace... The only way the Republicans have a chance in hell of regaining ground in Congress two years from now, and a chance to recapture the White House in 2012, is to run as Reagan-style conservatives.

If Obama and Congress pushes forth anything resembling an extreme left-wing agenda, they'll be voted out.

• Members

Nope.

Everyone should have equal rights regardless of sexuality.

However it's more than a little irritating the way POC have been made into the convenient Prop 8 scapegoats when they're only a mere fraction of the voters who helped pass the ban.

It's a LOT easier for white liberal gays like Dan Savage to self righteously lecture "those ungrateful minorities" than to direct their well earned vitriol toward the REAL enemy.

...Other White People.

• Members

Agreed.

The problem comes when minorities are being attacked for issues that are "family" issues.

Are there problems in the Black Church? Definitely.

But those problems should be dealt with within that particular group instead of having them used to berate minorities on how "they should know better" when the No on 8 movement arguably dropped the ball to an extent.

It's piggybacking when one miniority groups movement is co-opted by other minority groups to advance their cause without proper respect or regard for the initial minority group.

There's a LOT of minorities horrified by the controversy but the ease & intensity that liberal white gays label minorities as a monolithic homophobic entity is more than a little telling.

• Members

Really.

Well, better get used to that than the "gut Feeling" presidency we have had, or the Hate-filled presidency we would ahve gotten under McCain.

And, it's great to have a president who can actually READ a teleprompter, unlike the one we;ve had for the last 8 years.

Toodles.

• Members

I have actually heard Republican conservatives now saying they should become more conservative. It's like they have not seen how badly they lost Tuesday. They have been playing this hate and fear crap for 8 years, and finally the American people got fed up with it. That's all McCain and Palin offered, and instead of having a "Come To Jesus" moment and look in the damn mirror, they want to blame everyone but themselves.

And yes, Brian, we do disagree. For Republicans to run as the candidates of small government and fiscal responsibility after driving this dept through the roof anf sticking their noses into the personal lives of Americans, they lost chiefly for one reason........

Being out-of-touch people who don't give a damn about governing. They only care about using BS to get re-elected every cycle.

Now, Michelle Bachman is proud that "WE" elected a person of color. Is this the same person who blamed the economic collapse on minority Amercians, and called Obama un-patriotic?

Is that what Conservatism is all about? Is that how they should run?

Go right ahead......and forget about regaining any semblence of power for the forseable future.

• Members

By "conservatives", do you mean fiscal conservatives - the traditional Republican base - or the new Republican base, the Evangelicals? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reagan-era Republicans were fiscal conservatives and didn't pander so much to the evangelicals. They didn't really carry a whole lotta weight in the party until around 1994 or so, correct? I am wondering which wing will control the direction of the party going forward.

You "detest' moderates? So you don't believe that one could be middle of the road on some issues, but more liberal or conservative on others? Do you prefer a candidate that's more divisive? I'm interested on your opinion on that buddy....

And IA that Obama should move to the center to govern. Congress on the other hand, should all work together - the liberals be liberal, moderates be moderate and conservatives be conservative. Then they can hopefully come up with some good bipartisan compromises to send to Obama. But that's JMO.

How Bachmann could get reelected is just crazy. You make some good arguments, Roman. We'll see what good ol Brian has to say. Or perhaps Casey will come back....

Archived