Barack Obama Elected President!

Max

• Members

I have enjoyed watching the celebrations all day. I also give cable news and the networks a great deal of credit for not calling the election until polls on the West Coast had closed.

On Prop 8, was the ballot wording confusing? Do you think people voted yes thinking it was an approval of gay marriage instead of a rejection? It just seems odd to me that there seemed to be so much opposition to the ban and then it was approved.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of the commentators on ABC commented that people were voting Obama for economy and that didn't extend to the other things Obama was saying. And even said he believed that if the economy had not turned as bad as it did that the election would have been a lot closer.

the talked how that many of the same Democrats who voted for Obama would still vote against the bans on gay marriage and adoption on the same ballot.

It is like I said on another board. So many of the Democrats and others preach a good game but when it comes down to it they are just as homophobic as the Republicans. And the votes on the bans just proves it.

• Members

The prop was very clear in stating that marriage is defined as being a union between a man and a woman. I think it got blurred because the yes people alluded to gay marriage being taught in public schools, etc. I got the feeling from folks that I talked to that they considered gay marriage wrong (morally) and that it was going to be taught to our children as an acceptable lifestyle. Very sad in my opinion. I don't think that people realized the impact of making that definition of marriage that way. Lack of knowledge I believe.

• Members

IA with you on the wording because of the 12 state propositions on the ballot, this one was probably the most direct one.

I don't think it got blurred though. The ads in favor or it seemed to be more effective than the ads against it. While I do think the whole school issue was brought up to scare people into voting for it, all it would have done was reaffirm a person's position who intended to vote for it, if the person even had kids or had concerns about their being taught about it in schools.

Basically, there is no alternative for people whose moral convictions are strongly against gay marriage to the extent that they'd support it. It's really a no win situation when you go up against someone on his or her moral position if that individual feels strongly about it. I know one of the ads against it said that no matter what your beliefs on marriage discrimination is wrong but that's not enough of statement to tell someone to abandon his or her beliefs on an issue that person considers moral because it's sort of dismissive of that belief.

One of the problems I have with the religious base of the Republican party is the manner in which I think they go about trying to use politicians to inflict their will on society.....because I think that there are things that should be left up to individuals to choose. By the same token, I believe the religious base has every right to their feelings. I specifically take issue with how they go about getting what they want but not with their right to take whatever moral stance they take.....whether I agree with them or not.

• Members

After watching that clip, I have to admit that I have newfound respect for Sheppard Smith.

The look of shock on his face with Ralph Nader's "Uncle Tom" comment was priceless; as was his saying "Really....Ralph Nader?"

It's time Nader was put out to pasture. He may have affected the 2000 election, but his status in 2004 and this year has been greatly reduced. I hope people keep reminding him of how big of an idiot he is, and that he looses supporters. I don't even care if they support Democrats, Republicans, or other Independents....just as long as they leave his orbit.

Ralph Nader is an example of someone from the old Washington establishment trying in vain to keep up with today's Washington. And, as you can see in that clip, he has completely lost touch with reality.

And again, I don't typically watch FNC, but at least now I can honestly say that I respect Sheppard Smith. :)

• Members

WOW !!! I made it a point not to discuss politics until the election was over and now I am now in the words of Oprah "UNLEASHED". LOL

All I can say is WOW I cried last night, tears of joy.... although I was not born in the USA (born in the UK and grew up in the Caribbean),I was extremely proud to be here last night. Americans showed why immigrants like myself and others come here, we have hope for the future, hope that no matter what you can be anything you want to be and President Obama encompasses that. It was truly a historic moment to me ....someone who has studied history for many years this was HUGE for me.

Congratulations America you made me fall in love with you again, you've come a long way baby !! ;)

• Members

The religious issue is what makes me NOT a Republican, since they have adopted such a religious stance.

Here's my shpeil on religion and politics...

There are certain issues that I feel are SOLELY based on religion such as lottery/gambling and gay right. Abortion is questionable, but I feel like anybody (no matter what beliefs you have) can question what they feel like is murder. But the other two I mentioned, IMO, the ONLY reason to be against those are because of religion. So that brings in the issue of forcing your religious views on someone else. But, isn't that what happened 500 years ago in Europe with Catholics? The protestants broke away from Catholics because they didn't agree with everything. I don't see how a current protestant can un-hypocritcally say that someone who is not of the same faith should follow the rules set forth by the Christian protestant religion. If people had never disagreed with the Catholics, we all might be Catholics. (No disrespect to either faction, just remarking). And an extreme example, there's a reason we say Islamic terrorism. (Although obviously the religion as a whole is not terroristic). That's based on religion, and those extremists trying to say how we should be like them. It all boils down to my religion or my beliefs are better than yours. We're still fighting that same old battle here in the United States, it's just as not quite as barbaric as it is in some places.

• Members

I agree but anything comes down to inflicting our beliefs on others. We all have things whether religious or non-religious that we believe to be right and we tend to vote for laws or whatever based on that set of beliefs whehter they be based on religion or just how we feel.

That is what makes me mad about all the arguments that so and so are inflicting their beliefs on someone else because that is what we all do with out beliefs in one sense. The religious right see it that the beliefs of others are being inflicted on their lives such as was talked about before many of them felt that Prop 8 was saying that it would be taught in school and that is what led them in part to not vote for it. They felt that by it being taught in school it was being inflicted on them and theirs.

Here in Tennessee I am not a smoker but I feel for the smokers here because the non-smokers have marched on the state legislature and made it against the law for a smoker to be able to smoke anywhere in the state except for bars or in their cars. There is not a restaurant or any other public place you can go to and smoke anymore. That is not right. If I want to smoke I should have that right to smoke. I will give that there should be a divided area so that it does not infring on others but now as a smoker their rights have been completely gone.

And look at what Barbara Mandrell did when she started pushing the seat belt law. She and her followers kept on until now it is regulated that you have to wear a seat belt. The philosophy was that they were doing it for safety of the individuals but it is still an infringement of one's beliefs being pushed on others.

Everyone pushes something on others in some way these days no matter what. I think we all pick on the Christian right and put them up there but the other side is often just as guilty.

And I agree that the Republicans have adopted more of the religious/moral laws but at the same time the Democrats totally abandoned any morality stances and thus instead of a 2 party system where many can feel they can go and vote on issues it has come down to a choice of morality against immorality and that is not right. That is the reason I hate both parties, and feel both have outlived their usefulness. And another reason I sent my message with my vote this time. 4 years ago I changed my registration to Independent and as long as both parties stay as they are I will never identify with either party. I am so tired of the fighting and the name calling and this party saying it is better than the other when they are both just as hypocritical as the other.

• Members

I watched the View and watching Sherri Shephard choke up was so emotional. I really liked what Elizabeth had to say for a change and have to give her credit with how she handled things. I only wish other opposers would follow in her example and carry on that attitude

• Members

The Prop 8 ballot warning was confusing to some voters. I was at a election night party at a friends house. Her parents and some of their friends were there and several of them didn't understand it. So it is possible that the wording might have contributed to the downfall.

• Members

No. The wording wasn't confusing at all. It stated very clear that it would eliminate the right for same sex couples and change the constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman.

There was just as much support for the ban as there was opposition to it. Its just the supporters didn't have Ellen, Brad Pitt, etc talking about a yes on 8 vote. There also seemed to be a hell of a lot more yes on 8 posters around Cali than no on 8 posters.

I think the fact that gay rights were eliminated multiple states show we have not come as far as we would like to think. That the hate and fear is out there. Whats said is the supporters played on that fear by using children in commercials saying it would be taught in school that two people of the same sex can be married and whatnot.

I wish i could blame it on people being confused, or hell even manipulated, by the yes on 8 supporters, but i cant. Its hatred, plain and simple.

• Members

I know that you already know this Cheap21 but I'll say it anyway - it ain't gonna happen. LOL

There are some who are gracious enough too but there are some die hard Republicans and Democrats out there who will never be gracious enough for anything.

Over the last 2 days I have seen Democrats who are so full of gloating they make you sick. I have seen Republicans who are so full of woe is me that it makes you sick.

And I am so tired of the Democrats on another board I go to sometime already posting buttloads of articles about how Republican's stole some of the few seats they held onto or the few they picked up. They are whining because now they think that even though the Dems picked up all those seats that a few got stolen and that is why Obama's policies will never work because the few Republicans that still got in will block everything.

They can't be gracious enough to say well we lost a few. No it has to be that the Republicans stole those elections - not that they could just have lost.

As I posted about Tennessee yesterday Democrats had no chance here the same that a Republican had no chance at the White House this time. People blame the current regime for the troubles. The Democrats being in control in Tennessee have done a very bad job the last 4 years and Tennesseans sent a message that we didn't want anymore of their change. So we gave the House and the Senate back to the Republicans.

The Republicans in congress and the White House have done a bad job for the last 8 years so it was given back totatlly to the Democrats. Many are already skeptical of the Democrats that were in Congress though as they are part of the congress with the lowest approval rating ever. The Democrats being in control will have to work extra hard these next 4 years to turn things around and if they don't quick enough to satisfy a very unforgiving America they will be sent a message again in 4 years just like the Republicans were this time around.

I personally have never seen any politician live up to any of their promises so I don't see it happening.

Archived