BREAKING: Blackwell Leaves SOAPnet!

• Members

Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797498...yid=14&cs=1

Blackwell departs SoapNet post

Exec to continue as consultant for rest of year

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Blackwell

SoapNet general manager Deborah Blackwell is departing her post effective immediately but will continue as a consultant until her contract expires at the start of next year.

Departure comes following Disney-ABC Television Group's decision last year to unite ABC Daytime, Buena Vista Prods. and SoapNet under one roof.

Under the restructure, Blackwell will not be replaced. Instead, Disney-ABC TV Group prexy of daytime Brian Frons will handle SoapNet's day-to-day operation.

"With the recent changes to the group, changes which ensure SoapNet's continued viability, it just seemed like the best time to move on," Blackwell said. "We went from being this feisty startup into being now a successful channel, and it felt like time for a new challenge for me."

Under Blackwell, the channel has grown in distribution to more than 67 million homes and has secured rights from NBC and CBS -- in addition to sib ABC -- to run same-day soap episodes. Channel has also acquired off-net primetime skeins such as "One Tree Hill" and "The OC" (and before that, "Melrose Place," "Beverly Hills 90210" and "Dallas"); SoapNet has also extended its stable of original programming -- including its first-ever scripted entry, a spinoff of "General Hospital," and reality entry "The Fashionista Diaries."

"When we first started the channel, it was just replays of ABC soaps," Blackwell said. "But we wanted to create a brand that's young and hip and relevant to today's viewers, and I think we very much succeeded in doing that."

Frons said Blackwell has "built a strong foundation and successfully positioned the channel for future growth."

"Her influence can be measured in distribution gains, original programming, acquisitions and the strength of SoapNet's brand," he said.

Blackwell said she's on the lookout for her next gig and prefers to stay in cable, though she won't rule out a new-media job.

"The plan is to look around for an exciting new venture," she said. "I've been changing jobs every four or five years my entire life; this is the longest I've ever been at any job."

Before SoapNet, Blackwell headed up the Internet startup MyHome.com; she also spent several years heading up TV movie and miniseries packaging at the William Morris Agency.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is so not good for Soapnet and soaps in general since she was one of those occurences who really believed in soaps...

More reality series coming to SoapNet, I predict you. Thank god, this trashy reality programm bombed this summer which *might* make Fronsie more reluctant to kill soap time for even more drivel like Fashionista Diaries in the schedule.

• Members

OH ME too Y&RWorldTurner! ME too!

And I must admit, I'm not surprised...

With the exception of, probably NIGHTSHIFT and Y&R, SOAPnet is so far down the tubes. The ratings for all the soaps are steadily declining and its really not the fact that the soaps are replayed at night that the numbers are low. It's the fact that Frons and the talentless staff at ABC Daytime are running the soaps into the ground. And, even though DAYS and Y&R are supposed to be big draws for people to get SOAPnet, the ABC lineup is basically the bread and butter for the network, because those shows are owned by the network and are played the most of any of them.

With Blackwell leaving, I wouldn't be surprised if they stripped their daytime acquisitions of all their airings. Love her or hate her, I think she understood what fans wanted and expected from that channel.

I guess we can ALL look forward to more Fashionista Diaries and probably Laguna/The Hills announcements.

SOAPnet's purpose should have never been rerunning primetime dramas or airing reality shows(which is what has killed the genre in the first place).

I'm really sad about it...I think she loves soaps and SOAPnet as much as fans do, and I think she's fun. What other network exec would buy a dress from Lisa Rinna's store and proudly wear it at the Emmys?!

I'm sad she's leaving. She's probably in charge of the classic marathons we love, but love to hate(because they don't feature nearly enough of what we like or want).

• Members

I can see the schedule now:

12:00am General Hospital

1:00am General Hospital

2:00am Young and the Restless

3:00am Days of our Lives

4:00am One Life To Live

5:00am General Hospital

6:00am-Noon GH Nightshift Marathon

1:00 One Tree Hill

2:00-4:00pm 90210

5:00pm Melrose Place