OLTL: Debating Ron Carlivati & The Show

• Members

Since Carlivati has been credited as solo HW, the show has not made stronger attempts to rise outta the doldrums Higley, Frons & Valentini placed it in. If I am to be honest, I find OLTL under Carlivati to be terribly frustrating. Some of it is his fault, some of it is not. I'm just commenting on the writing aspect of daytime's 2nd most mistreated show. OLTL under Higley was a sinking ship, and Carlivati hasn't taken out enough water as I'd like within 2 weeks of steering the wheel. Do you not agree that a lot can be accomplished with 15 episodes of HW?

Carlivati prides himself as a "vet" lover. As well as being able to write emotionally-layered, thought-provoking , timely & engaging stories. So far, he's only shown a modicum of that. I ask the question again: Do you not agree that a lot can be accomplished with 15 episodes of HW? The start of major stories are supposed to pack a punch; that way they intrigue people, holds their attention. The Tommy custody battle has failed at that. Does Jessica Brennan, Todd's half-niece, even know that her half-cousin was raised by Michael & Marcie McBain, the would-be in-laws of her sister, Natalie Buchanan?

OLTL used to be a show about the differences in our lives & how we choose to accept, change or reject those differences. And regardless of our choices, we only have ONE LIFE TO LIVE. If it weren't for Linda Gottlieb, Michael Malone, Josh Griffith & Susan Bedsow Horgan, OLTL would not have transformed itself into a force to reckon with. There was a lot of positive buzz & acclaim surrounding the show, and at a time in the early 1990's, OLTL was daytime's best show. I wish all OLTL viewers watch the Marty's rape story. Two words for it: Pure golden. The only way for Carlivati to be considered a success is if the vast majority of OLTL viewers hold his overrated feet to the fire. It's do or die, figuratively speaking. Or if you like: Write well or die.

This critique of mine (or rant as some of you SONers will call it) stems from me being a true fan of OLTL. Saying you like a show does not make you a fan. A true fan holds a show accountable for its mistakes, its carelessness, its ignorance & its stupidity. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: OLTL is a show that just can't win because when all is said and done, the viewers take what they're feed and swallow it whole. Where were those so-called fans when the show really started to decline in 1996? Some of you SON members may think that I'm being negative. I'm being realistic in this matter. I aint gonna sugarcoat this just to remain positive. Do I want OLTL to be cancelled? HELL NO! With all its fault, OLTL is daytime's most promising show. And I desperately would like to see it reach its fullest potential..

In case you were wondering, I am writing a OLTL story outline, a bible if you will. It's gonna take a while cuz I feel that all writers should delve in the depths of a show's history, to go back to its roots. And with with 39 years on TV, OLTL is deeply rooted.

I ask my fellow OLTL fans to come together & work towards a better future for the show. As Oprah says: "Feel the love and accept it." Remember: You only have one life to live.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So basically, you've answered your own supposed "debate" question, you've said you can write all the soaps, and you're all over the board.

Yeah, I've never seen this here before.

I may not want to call him Doug Marland but I'll give Carlivati's work more than a couple weeks before I act like I know what he's capable of and call him "overrated." And I'll take him over, say, an Internet fraud.

• Members

Already? I'll give him a couple of months before I form an opinion. It's kinda hard to judge, when he's still going by Higley's storylines. So far, the show is okay for me. But, it also took me a couple of months before I started hating on Higley.

Jessica? Who care really. She always has her own drama (which Todd is rarely involved in)... why put her in the Tommy story. If anything, you should be asking where's Viki and how come she doesn't know. As much as I can't stand the character, she's usually the first one in Todd's corner no matter how much he's spewing his hateful agenda all up in her face.

Well, I like to see it... especially since you think you can do better in two weeks.

• Members

One day it is good with a script penned by Elizabeth Page (not great; hasn't been great since 1996), then the next day it is unwatchable with a script penned by Mark Christopher. Consistency on this show seems to be elusive.

I want Anna Cascio to be the head writer with Ron. AMC was heading into a good direction until she and Gordon Rayfield were unjustly removed in 2003. It is Cascio or bust.

• Members

I *loved* Elizabeth Page's brief work in 1999 as co head writer of AMC with Agnes Nixon when they replaced McTavish. Oddly though Page was phased out after about 6 months and for a brief bit her, Agnes and Jean Passanante were listed as HW, then just Agnes and Jean (and the quality fell SHARPLY) and then soon fo course just Jean.

• Members

No, I do not agree that a lot can be accomplished in 15 episodes. Unlike when Dena took over (when the show went dark to stop taping, and rewrote all of the storylines), Carlivati has been trying to fix the show since he's been the co-head. Dena systematically destroyed OLTL from the core out and it's going to take a long time to fix things.

I think he's done a great job of trying to smooth out the crap she wrote. It's not going to be fixed overnight and anyone who thinks so should really try to put themselves into his position.

Do I think the show is perfect? No I don't. But I can tell you one thing....it's the first show I watch when I come home from work. This Todd/McBains baby storyline actually has be interested. I don't like the way it's playing out, but I'm enjoying the story (and now that I know the conclusion, it's gonna get better for viewers IMO).

His work is just getting started. Though his own material has just begun, he has been shaping stories now for the past few months. He can pride himself as a "vet lover" and so far it's showing. We've seen more of Bo, Nora, Dorian, Lindsay, Roxie, and others than we've seen in a long time.

OLTL is never going to be like the OLTL of old. Those days IMO will never be able to be recaptured until TPTB are replaced with people who share the same mindset of AMC, GH and OLTL in the 90's.

I think you're judging Ron a little unfairly too soon. Give him more time for his stories to take shape. Give him more time to see what's airing, figure out what is or isn't working and try to fix that. Don't judge the man based on 15 episodes...(which IMO, haven't been that bad).

• Members

I believe its too soon to make a decision yet. I do like the immediate improvements and increase in use of the vets. Ron had no way of getting around Slezaks vacation so that is a big minus with the Tommy story line. Also I agree everyone knows the history of Todd and Jessica, there is no way in hell drama or not she would not be there trying to take the baby from Marcy herself. I find it odd that the writers have ignored Todd's connection to Sarah. I remember CJ and Sara protecting the Genie in the Shed before they knew Todd was their uncle. Hell they were the ones who petition the court demanding Todd's release after the rape conviction and they weren't even five years old. Sarah never would have done what the writers scripted her to do in this kidnapping ordeal.

Archived